|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Coverdale react when Hollingsworth wants to know if he will cooperate in his great scheme?
(a) Coverdale yells at Hollingsworth.
(b) Coverdale does not know what to say to Hollingsworth.
(c) Coverdale agrees with Hollingsworth's plan.
(d) Coverdale chides Hollingsworth.
2. As Coverdale escapes the strange creatures in the woods, he comes upon the pulpit; who does he see there, besides Hollingsworth and Priscilla?
(c) Mr. Foster.
3. Who summons Priscilla to see Coverdale at the boardinghouse?
4. Before Coverdale leaves Blithedale for a few weeks, what does he ask Priscilla?
(a) If she is a sorceress.
(b) If she is a mind reader.
(c) If she is a prophetess.
(d) If she is troubled.
5. From his hotel window in town, what is Coverdale watching creep along the office rooftops that bewitches him?
(a) A pigeon.
(b) A rat.
(c) A dove.
(d) A cat.
6. What does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that they should choose a spot for, in Section 8, Chapter 15?
(a) A school.
(b) A church.
(c) A temple.
(d) A cemetery.
7. After Hollingsworth admits that he does love Priscilla, he bids her to come to him; what do Zenobia and Coverdale want Priscilla to do?
(a) Go to Coverdale.
(b) Go to Hollingsworth.
(c) Run away.
(d) Not go to Hollingsworth.
8. At the interview that Coverdale is attending, who appears onstage in Oriental robes?
9. To distract himself in his hotel room, Coverdale begins watching the boardinghouse again; who does he begin to watch?
(a) A girl working on needlepoint.
(b) A young couple arguing.
(c) A maid cleaning the front porch.
(d) A little boy playing with his dog.
10. During the interview at the lyceum hall, who does Coverdale ask where Priscilla is, and receives a glare in response from this person?
11. How does Moodie describe his second daughter when she was a child?
(a) As dark and violent.
(b) As pale and nervous.
(c) As robust and rowdy.
(d) As sunny and energetic.
12. In Section 13, Chapter 25, Zenobia prevents Hollingsworth from leaving their meeting; how long ago does she say that she learned of the matter that is threatening to make her poor?
(a) Three days ago.
(b) Two days ago.
(c) Four day ago.
(d) A day ago.
13. In Section 8, Chapter 15, Hollingsworth, having no faith in Coverdale's dream, mentions his own scheme for what?
(a) Raising funds for a temple.
(b) Finding teachers for a school.
(c) Building of a hospital.
(d) Reformation of criminals.
14. What does Zenobia tell Priscilla that she stood in the way of?
(a) Her friendhips.
(b) Her traveling.
(c) Her career.
(d) Her desires.
15. Why is Coverdale worried about Priscilla not being safe around Hollingsworth?
(a) Because he is dangerous.
(b) Because she is so gullible.
(c) Because she is more susceptible to his tenderness.
(d) Because she is young and silly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of the three people that Coverdale spies from his hotel window at the boardinghouse, which two seem to repel one another?
2. Moodie tells Coverdale how twenty-five years earlier he had a palatial home, a lovely wife and a beautiful daughter, but what was the only thing he was interested in?
3. After Coverdale comes upon the three people at the pulpit in Section 13, Chapter 25, who tells him that she is on trial for her life and suggests that he act as judge?
4. Where did Hollingsworth wound Zenobia in Section 14, Chapter 27?
5. Where do the men lay Zenobia for the women to deal with?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)