|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the interview that Coverdale is attending, who throws off her veil, shrinking to see the multitude of people staring at her, and flees?
(b) Zenobia's mother.
(d) Mrs. Foster.
2. In Section 12, Chapter 24, Coverdale sets out for Blithedale, and he spies on the community from the woods before entering; what does he hear from the woods?
(b) Gun shots.
3. In Section 8, Chapter 15, Hollingsworth, having no faith in Coverdale's dream, mentions his own scheme for what?
(a) Finding teachers for a school.
(b) Building of a hospital.
(c) Reformation of criminals.
(d) Raising funds for a temple.
4. From his hotel window in town, what is Coverdale watching creep along the office rooftops that bewitches him?
(a) A pigeon.
(b) A cat.
(c) A rat.
(d) A dove.
5. As Coverdale gets leaves for Blithedale, his first steps are joyful; however, as he gets closer, how does he feel?
(b) Like a nameless foreboding weighs upon him.
(d) Sad, and he begins to cry.
6. In Section 8, Chapter 16, Coverdale announces that he is leaving Blithedale for a week or two; why?
(a) To visit family.
(b) To barter goods from the farm.
(c) For financial reasons.
(d) For his health.
7. After the scene at the pulpit, Coverdale mentions to Hollingsworth that their toils will seem romantic to whom?
(a) Young people in the present.
(b) Elderly people in the present.
(c) Young people in the future.
(d) Elderly people in the future.
8. Zenobia agrees with Priscilla that they are sisters, and although she learned of their relationship recently, she never wished what upon Priscilla?
9. What happens to Moodie's second wife after she gives birth to his second daughter?
(a) She gets put in jail.
(b) She dies.
(c) She goes crazy.
(d) She runs away.
10. What saddens Coverdale after he goes to the boardinghouse in Section 10, Chapter 19?
(a) Priscilla's cold manner.
(b) Hollingsworth's cold manner.
(c) Zenobia's cold manner.
(d) Westervelt's cold manner.
11. As Moodie and Coverdale talk, Moodie reveals his youth; what does Coverdale ask him to share?
(a) His knowledge of Priscilla.
(b) His knowledge of Zenobia.
(c) His present situation.
(d) His past.
12. Who comes to take Zenobia and Priscilla away from the boardinghouse at the end of Section 10, Chapter 20?
(b) Mr. Foster.
13. How does Moodie describe his second daughter when she was a child?
(a) As pale and nervous.
(b) As robust and rowdy.
(c) As dark and violent.
(d) As sunny and energetic.
14. Coverdale asks Hollingsworth if he has seen Zenobia, and he answers that he has not; what else does Hollingsworth say about Zenobia?
(a) That he hopes he sees her again soon.
(b) That he never wants to see her again.
(c) That he did not expect to see her again.
(d) That he expects he will see her again.
15. Zenobia asks Hollingsworth if he loves Priscilla and he admits that he does; what does Zenobia say and do in return?
(a) Zenobia begins hitting him and yelling at him for not loving her.
(b) Zenobia begs for him to reconsider loving her and clings to him.
(c) Zenobia appeals to God to judge which of them has most morally offended him and bids Hollingsworth farewell.
(d) Zenobia begins to cry and runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Priscilla is summoned to see Coverdale, he asks her when she will return to Blithedale; how does she respond?
2. In Section 14, Chapter 27, what startles Hollingsworth about Coverdale's voice that makes him hurry to speak with him?
3. Twenty-five years earlier, why did Moodie flee to the New England metropolis?
4. Where did Moodie say that he lived twenty-five years earlier?
5. As the summer passes at Blithedale, what do Coverdale and Hollingsworth discuss the community's plans to erect?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)