|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the three people searching for Zenobia row out into the river, who comments about how Zenobia will laugh at them the next morning?
(a) Mr. Foster.
2. Zenobia asks Priscilla what she will do when Hollingsworth's heart goes out and there is no spark to be found among the ashes; what is Priscilla's answer?
(a) She will be angry.
(b) She will be sad.
(c) She will die.
(d) She will move on.
3. While watching the boardinghouse from his hotel window, Coverdale beholds Zenobia and Priscilla; who else does he see with them?
(b) Mrs. Foster.
4. Moodie admits that out of his two daughters, he loves Priscilla the best, only that love comes from what?
5. From his hotel window in town, what is Coverdale watching creep along the office rooftops that bewitches him?
(a) A rat.
(b) A dove.
(c) A cat.
(d) A pigeon.
6. Out of the three people that Coverdale spies from his hotel window at the boardinghouse, which two seem to repel one another?
(a) Priscilla and Moodie.
(b) Zenobia and Westervelt.
(c) Zenobia and Hollingsworth.
(d) Priscilla and Westervelt.
7. How does Coverdale react when Hollingsworth wants to know if he will cooperate in his great scheme?
(a) Coverdale chides Hollingsworth.
(b) Coverdale agrees with Hollingsworth's plan.
(c) Coverdale yells at Hollingsworth.
(d) Coverdale does not know what to say to Hollingsworth.
8. Before Coverdale leaves Blithedale for a few weeks, what does he ask Priscilla?
(a) If she is a mind reader.
(b) If she is a sorceress.
(c) If she is a prophetess.
(d) If she is troubled.
9. In Section 9, Chapter 17, Coverdale obtains a room in a respectable hotel in town; what makes him feel stifled at first?
(a) The loud music coming from across the street.
(b) The silence in his empty room.
(c) The muddy tide of human activity.
(d) The memories from Blithedale.
10. While observing from his hotel window, what makes Coverdale believe that a drawing-room on the first floor of the boardinghouse that is empty will not be empty for long?
(a) The crowd coming down the street.
(b) The storm that is coming.
(c) The industry of the two housemaids.
(d) The festival going on the next day.
11. Out of the three people staying at the boardinghouse, which one notices Coverdale watching them from his hotel window?
12. In Section 8, Chapter 16, Coverdale announces that he is leaving Blithedale for a week or two; why?
(a) For his health.
(b) To visit family.
(c) To barter goods from the farm.
(d) For financial reasons.
13. At the interview that Coverdale is attending, who appears onstage in Oriental robes?
14. In Section 12, Chapter 23, how long does Coverdale wander restlessly, trying to avoid Hollingsworth, Priscilla and Zenobia?
(a) One week.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) A few days.
(d) A month.
15. Whose fidelity gives Coverdale a new sense of Hollingsworth's native power?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to take Zenobia and Priscilla away from the boardinghouse at the end of Section 10, Chapter 20?
2. After Priscilla falls to Zenobia's feet in Section 13, Chapter 25, Zenobia tells Priscilla that much has changed since they first met; what else does she tell Priscilla?
3. After the scene at the pulpit, Coverdale mentions to Hollingsworth that their toils will seem romantic to whom?
4. After Coverdale is looked upon scornfully by one of the three people staying at the boardinghouse, who disappears from the window of the boudoir?
5. Who does Hollingsworth tell that he must be with him or against him?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)