|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who looks at Coverdale scornfully from the boardinghouse window before lowering the curtain?
2. After Coverdale is looked upon scornfully by one of the three people staying at the boardinghouse, who disappears from the window of the boudoir?
3. What does Zenobia tell Priscilla that she stood in the way of?
(a) Her friendhips.
(b) Her traveling.
(c) Her career.
(d) Her desires.
4. In Section 12, Chapter 23, how long does Coverdale wander restlessly, trying to avoid Hollingsworth, Priscilla and Zenobia?
(a) Several weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) A few days.
(d) One week.
5. After Priscilla is summoned to see Coverdale, he asks her when she will return to Blithedale; how does she respond?
(a) She says whenever they will take her because she never has had any free will.
(b) She says she never wants to return.
(c) She says at the end of the year.
(d) She says when Hollingsworth says she can return.
6. What saddens Coverdale after he goes to the boardinghouse in Section 10, Chapter 19?
(a) Westervelt's cold manner.
(b) Priscilla's cold manner.
(c) Hollingsworth's cold manner.
(d) Zenobia's cold manner.
7. After Hollingsworth admits that he does love Priscilla, he bids her to come to him; what do Zenobia and Coverdale want Priscilla to do?
(a) Go to Hollingsworth.
(b) Run away.
(c) Not go to Hollingsworth.
(d) Go to Coverdale.
8. Where did Hollingsworth wound Zenobia in Section 14, Chapter 27?
(a) Her breast, close by her heart.
(b) Her head.
(c) Her hand.
(d) Her arm.
9. What does Hollingsworth's pole strike at the bottom of the river while searching for Zenobia?
(a) Zenobia's boot.
(b) Zenobia's body.
(c) Zenobia's purse.
(d) Zenobia's shawl.
10. Whose fidelity gives Coverdale a new sense of Hollingsworth's native power?
11. After viewing Zenobia and Priscilla from his hotel window, who is Coverdale offended that Zenobia chose to learn her secrets?
(c) Mr. Foster.
12. Zenobia asks Hollingsworth if he loves Priscilla and he admits that he does; what does Zenobia say and do in return?
(a) Zenobia appeals to God to judge which of them has most morally offended him and bids Hollingsworth farewell.
(b) Zenobia begins hitting him and yelling at him for not loving her.
(c) Zenobia begins to cry and runs away.
(d) Zenobia begs for him to reconsider loving her and clings to him.
13. How may days after the interview that Coverdale attended in Section 12, Chapter 23, does he set out for Blithedale?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) One day.
(d) Three days.
14. While watching the boardinghouse from his hotel window, Coverdale beholds Zenobia and Priscilla; who else does he see with them?
(d) Mrs. Foster.
15. Zenobia asks Priscilla what she will do when Hollingsworth's heart goes out and there is no spark to be found among the ashes; what is Priscilla's answer?
(a) She will be sad.
(b) She will be angry.
(c) She will die.
(d) She will move on.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Coverdale escapes the strange creatures in the woods, he comes upon the pulpit; who does he see there, besides Hollingsworth and Priscilla?
2. Coverdale becomes irritated with the person who he visits in the boardinghouse; what does this person rage to him about?
3. After his meeting with Priscilla, Coverdale says he washes his hands of it all, stating that the consequences lay on whose head?
4. What does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that they should choose a spot for, in Section 8, Chapter 15?
5. Before Coverdale leaves Blithedale for a few weeks, what does he ask Priscilla?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)