|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Hollingsworth finally arrives and Blithedale and brings a young girl, Priscilla; how does she react when she sees Zenobia?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) She yells and runs away.
(c) She begins to scream.
(d) She drops to her knees and clasps Zenobia's hand.
2. Who does Mr. Coverdale suggest that Mr. Hollingsworth would be of assistance to in Section 1, Chapter 1?
(b) The Veiled Lady.
(d) Mr. Moodie.
3. What does Priscilla ask that Zenobia do for her?
(a) Only that Zenobia allow her to always be near her.
(b) Help her to get to know Mr. Coverdale better.
(c) That she will help her to know what to wear.
(d) Help her to get to know Mr. Hollingsworth better.
4. Who does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that he believes Zenobia to be the sister of?
(a) The Veiled Lady.
(b) Mr. Foster.
(d) Mrs. Foster.
5. Why do the people of Blithedale decide to continue sheltering Priscilla?
(a) They feel obligated because she is favored by Hollingsworth.
(b) She has volunteered to be a maid.
(c) She begged for them to let her stay.
(d) To deserve the reputation of a benevolent community.
6. How is the atmosphere at the first dinner in the Blithedale farmhouse?
7. The neighbors of Blithedale gossip that Zenobia and Hollingsworth are lovers; where do they say they plan to erect their home?
(a) In a beautiful meadow where they have picnics.
(b) On a sloping hill where they frequently walk.
(c) Near the mountainside.
(d) By a nearby pond they like to visit.
8. In Section 6, Chapter 12, Coverdale watches Hollingsworth beckoning the others; what does he think Hollingsworth sees all of mankind as?
(a) Another chicken in the coop.
(b) Another pig in the pen.
(c) Another yoke of oxen.
(d) Another herd of cattle.
9. What does Zenobia claim Priscilla to be after Mr. Coverdale tells her his suspicions?
(a) A cook.
(b) A seamstress.
(c) A writer.
(d) A maid.
10. What does Zenobia do with the flower in her hair after she announces dinner is ready?
(a) She flings it to the ground.
(b) She places it in the middle of the table.
(c) She throws it in the garbage.
(d) She replaces it with a fresh flower.
11. After the first group dinner at Blithedale, what does Mr. Foster do while everyone adjourns to the sitting room?
(a) Takes out the garbage.
(b) Cobbles an old pair of boots by the kitchen fire.
(c) Sits on the porch and smokes his pipe.
(d) Goes to bed.
12. What does Coverdale suspect about Zenobia's countenance as he sees her interact with Priscilla in Section 5, Chapter 9?
(a) She is too cold and heartless.
(b) She appears as though she is deviously plotting.
(c) She seems to be acting too sweetly.
(d) She is truly being helpful.
13. Zenobia offers to invent a wild legend one day; how does everyone at Blithedale respond?
14. After Moodie visits, Coverdale decides to take a holiday for the day; where does he go?
(a) The meadow.
(b) The woods.
(c) The city.
(d) The lake.
15. Coverdale and Zenobia argue about women being happy in life; what does Zenobia say is the reason of woman's unhappiness?
(a) Men overpowering women.
(b) Lack of variety in life.
(c) Improper care of one's self.
(d) Too high standards for women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Priscilla used to make silk purses for?
2. How does Mr. Coverdale think the firelight from the hearth makes the men and women of Blithedale appear?
3. What does Coverdale find Zenobia and Priscilla doing in the barn, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
4. What does Coverdale suspect that Priscilla purposefully arranged for Moodie to see?
5. In Section 6, Chapter 11, the stranger identifies himself as Professor Westervelt; who else does he ask about that causes Coverdale to decline any further connection with his affairs?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)