|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Coverdale believes he has done Hollingsworth a great wrong by prying into his character; why can't he help it?
(a) Because he is obsessed with Hollingsworth.
(b) Because he envies Hollingsworth.
(c) Because he loves Hollingsworth so much.
(d) Because he does not trust Hollingsworth.
2. After Priscilla and Mr. Hollingsworth arrive and are introduced, who tells the others to feed Priscilla?
(a) Mr. Foster.
(b) Mrs. Foster.
(c) Mr. Coverdale.
3. After Mr. Foster awakens everyone at Blithedale, what does Hollingsworth begin his first day there with?
(a) A bath.
(b) A three mile run.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A hearty breakfast.
4. In Zenobia's story about the Veiled Lady, what happens just as the young man is about to kiss the Lady?
(a) She stabs him.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She falls asleep.
(d) She runs away.
5. What does Zenobia have a lot of?
6. What does Coverdale find Zenobia and Priscilla doing in the barn, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
(a) Reading and discussing their books.
(c) Feeding the horses.
(d) Lauging and celebrating the holiday together.
7. What does Priscilla ask that Zenobia do for her?
(a) Help her to get to know Mr. Hollingsworth better.
(b) Only that Zenobia allow her to always be near her.
(c) Help her to get to know Mr. Coverdale better.
(d) That she will help her to know what to wear.
8. What does Zenobia claim Priscilla to be after Mr. Coverdale tells her his suspicions?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A cook.
(c) A writer.
(d) A maid.
9. Why does Coverdale regret peremptorily ending his conversation with Professor Westervelt?
(a) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Moodie.
(b) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Zenobia.
(c) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Priscilla.
(d) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Hollingsworth.
10. After Coverdale tells Hollingsworth he does not know if he will ever be a philanthropist, how does Hollingsworth react?
(a) He does not know if they can be lifelong friends.
(b) He says it does not matter to him.
(c) He is very angry.
(d) He laughs at him at calls him weak.
11. What do Hollingsworth and Coverdale hoe together while the rest of the fraternity is situated in a distant corner of the farm?
12. Where do Hollingsworth, Zenobia, Priscilla, and Coverdale often spend their Sundays?
(a) At a rock named Eliot's Pulpit.
(b) At a rock named Emmett's Pulpit.
(c) At a rock named Ernest's Pulpit.
(d) At a rock named Eli's Pulpit.
13. Regarding the stranger who interrupts Coverdale's secluded time; who does he make an odd character sketch of?
14. Why does Coverdale believe the neighbors of Blithedale slander their farming abilities?
(a) Because they want to destroy them.
(b) Because of their envy and malice.
(c) Because they are mean.
(d) Because they are scared of them.
15. Zenobia offers to invent a wild legend one day; how does everyone at Blithedale respond?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Coverdale convinced that Hollingsworth will gain Zenobia and Priscilla as, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
2. Whose conversation does Coverdale eavesdrop on in Section 6, Chapter 12 that he decides never to disclose to another mortal?
3. While telling her legend, Zenobia asks Priscilla to stand in front of her so that she can be inspired by her what?
4. Who does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that he believes Zenobia to be the sister of?
5. What does Priscilla do when Coverdale tells her that she is fortunate that she has nothing dismal to remember?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)