|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the community of Blithedale declare May Day as, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
(a) Not to be celebrated at Blithedale.
(b) Blithedale Day.
(c) A movable holiday, which is postponed for better weather.
(d) A second Christmas for those at Blithedale.
2. What does Zenobia praise Mr. Coverdale about at the beginning of Section 2, Chapter 3, as everyone arrives at Blithedale?
(a) His poetry.
(b) His food.
(c) His music.
(d) His attire.
3. What are Mrs. Foster and her husband in charge of at Blithedale?
(a) They manage the house and teach the women to cook.
(b) They teach at the schoolhouse in Blithedale.
(c) They manage the farm and teach the upperclassmen the art of husbandry.
(d) They are in charge of feeding everyone at Blithedale.
4. In Zenobia's story about the Veiled Lady, who sneaks into the Lady's private chamber with the intent of unveiling her?
5. What type of flower does Zenobia wear in her hair?
6. Mr. Hollingsworth finally arrives and Blithedale and brings a young girl, Priscilla; how does she react when she sees Zenobia?
(a) She drops to her knees and clasps Zenobia's hand.
(b) She begins to scream.
(c) She begins to cry.
(d) She yells and runs away.
7. What intrigues Mr. Coverdale about the man who accosts him on his way back to his apartment?
(a) The person seems very familiar.
(b) The hint that a lady's influence may be desirable.
(c) The person is blind.
(d) The hint that a gentlemen's influence may be desirable.
8. Who did Priscilla used to make silk purses for?
(b) Mrs. Foster.
9. After the first group dinner at Blithedale, what does Mr. Foster do while everyone adjourns to the sitting room?
(a) Cobbles an old pair of boots by the kitchen fire.
(b) Goes to bed.
(c) Takes out the garbage.
(d) Sits on the porch and smokes his pipe.
10. What does the person who accosts Mr. Coverdale on his way back to his apartment in Section 1, Chapter 1 want from him?
(a) His blessing.
(b) A great favor.
(c) His wallet.
(d) His coat.
11. Whose conversation does Coverdale eavesdrop on in Section 6, Chapter 12 that he decides never to disclose to another mortal?
(a) Hollingsworth and Priscilla.
(b) Zenobia and Hollingsworth.
(c) Zenobia and Westervelt.
(d) Zenobia and Priscilla.
12. The neighbors of Blithedale gossip that Zenobia and Hollingsworth are lovers; where do they say they plan to erect their home?
(a) By a nearby pond they like to visit.
(b) In a beautiful meadow where they have picnics.
(c) Near the mountainside.
(d) On a sloping hill where they frequently walk.
13. What discomposes Priscilla after she delivers a letter to Coverdale, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
(a) Coverdale suggests that she looks like Miss Fuller.
(b) Coverdale suggests that she stay in his room for the night.
(c) Coverdale suggests that she looks like Zenobia.
(d) Coverdale suggests that she looks like Mrs. Foster.
14. What does Coverdale suspect about Zenobia's countenance as he sees her interact with Priscilla in Section 5, Chapter 9?
(a) She is truly being helpful.
(b) She is too cold and heartless.
(c) She seems to be acting too sweetly.
(d) She appears as though she is deviously plotting.
15. Why does Coverdale regret peremptorily ending his conversation with Professor Westervelt?
(a) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Zenobia.
(b) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Hollingsworth.
(c) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Moodie.
(d) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Priscilla.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the people of Blithedale decide to continue sheltering Priscilla?
2. Priscilla questions Hollingsworth about Zenobia's view of the injustice the world does to women; how does he respond?
3. What does Coverdale learn about Priscilla from Hollingsworth, in Section 4, Chapter 7?
4. Why does Coverdale think that Priscilla deserves some poetry written about her?
5. Who does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that he believes Zenobia to be the sister of?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)