|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Coverdale often spend his time making verses and meditating essays?
(a) Next to the lake surrounded by wildflowers.
(b) In a leafy cave in the woods adjacent to the farm.
(c) On the sloping hill overlooking the valley.
(d) Under a big oak tree overlooking the farmhouse.
2. What does Priscilla do when Coverdale imparts the wisdom that those one most loves may not love one in return?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She agrees with him.
(c) She runs away, falling through the grass.
(d) She begins to cry.
3. How many men ride together to Blithedale during the storm in Section 1, Chapter 2?
4. After the first group dinner at Blithedale, what does Mr. Foster do while everyone adjourns to the sitting room?
(a) Takes out the garbage.
(b) Cobbles an old pair of boots by the kitchen fire.
(c) Sits on the porch and smokes his pipe.
(d) Goes to bed.
5. After Moodie visits, Coverdale decides to take a holiday for the day; where does he go?
(a) The city.
(b) The lake.
(c) The meadow.
(d) The woods.
6. What makes Coverdale realize that Zenobia will not be friends with Priscilla for long?
(a) Because Priscilla is becoming more popular than her.
(b) Because Hollingsworth is in love with Priscilla.
(c) Because Coverdale is in love with Priscilla.
(d) Because Priscilla is becoming more beautiful than her.
7. After Mr. Foster awakens everyone at Blithedale, what does Hollingsworth begin his first day there with?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A hearty breakfast.
(c) A three mile run.
(d) A bath.
8. The night that all the newcomers arrive at Blithedale, what does Zenobia tell them all she will act as?
9. What does Priscilla do when Coverdale tells her that she is fortunate that she has nothing dismal to remember?
(a) She smiles at him.
(b) She seems to be listening to a distant voice.
(c) She tells him she does have dismal things from her past.
(d) She tells him he does not know her at all.
10. What letter does Priscilla bring to Coverdale in his room, along with a nightcap?
(a) An opened letter from Zenobia.
(b) A sealed letter from Zenobia.
(c) An opened letter from Miss Margaret Fuller.
(d) A sealed letter from Miss Margaret Fuller.
11. What type of flower does Zenobia wear in her hair?
12. While telling her legend, Zenobia asks Priscilla to stand in front of her so that she can be inspired by her what?
13. What does Zenobia praise Mr. Coverdale about at the beginning of Section 2, Chapter 3, as everyone arrives at Blithedale?
(a) His music.
(b) His food.
(c) His poetry.
(d) His attire.
14. What is the name of Mrs. Foster's husband?
15. What does the community of Blithedale declare May Day as, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
(a) A movable holiday, which is postponed for better weather.
(b) A second Christmas for those at Blithedale.
(c) Not to be celebrated at Blithedale.
(d) Blithedale Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Hollingsworth finally arrives and Blithedale and brings a young girl, Priscilla; how does she react when she sees Zenobia?
2. What lady does Mr. Coverdale plan on meeting the day after he is accosted in Section 1, Chapter 1?
3. How is Coverdale's attitude after a stranger interrupts his secluded time on his holiday?
4. What does Priscilla ask that Zenobia do for her?
5. Who does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that he believes Zenobia to be the sister of?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)