|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person who accosts Mr. Coverdale on his way back to his apartment in Section 1, Chapter 1 want from him?
(a) His blessing.
(b) A great favor.
(c) His wallet.
(d) His coat.
2. In Zenobia's story about the Veiled Lady, who sneaks into the Lady's private chamber with the intent of unveiling her?
3. What does Zenobia do with the flower in her hair after she announces dinner is ready?
(a) She throws it in the garbage.
(b) She places it in the middle of the table.
(c) She replaces it with a fresh flower.
(d) She flings it to the ground.
4. What type of flower does Zenobia wear in her hair?
5. What does Zenobia claim Priscilla to be after Mr. Coverdale tells her his suspicions?
(a) A maid.
(b) A cook.
(c) A seamstress.
(d) A writer.
6. What discomposes Priscilla after she delivers a letter to Coverdale, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
(a) Coverdale suggests that she looks like Zenobia.
(b) Coverdale suggests that she looks like Mrs. Foster.
(c) Coverdale suggests that she stay in his room for the night.
(d) Coverdale suggests that she looks like Miss Fuller.
7. What does Coverdale find Zenobia and Priscilla doing in the barn, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
(a) Feeding the horses.
(b) Reading and discussing their books.
(c) Lauging and celebrating the holiday together.
8. Priscilla questions Hollingsworth about Zenobia's view of the injustice the world does to women; how does he respond?
(a) He heartly agrees with her.
(b) He thinks she is stupid and women are worthless.
(c) He laughs out loud.
(d) He claims that a woman's place is at a man's side.
9. What does Priscilla do when Coverdale imparts the wisdom that those one most loves may not love one in return?
(a) She runs away, falling through the grass.
(b) She agrees with him.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She begins to cry.
10. How many men ride together to Blithedale during the storm in Section 1, Chapter 2?
11. Coverdale and Zenobia argue about women being happy in life; what does Zenobia say is the reason of woman's unhappiness?
(a) Lack of variety in life.
(b) Men overpowering women.
(c) Too high standards for women.
(d) Improper care of one's self.
12. How is the atmosphere at the first dinner in the Blithedale farmhouse?
13. Why do the people of Blithedale decide to continue sheltering Priscilla?
(a) To deserve the reputation of a benevolent community.
(b) She has volunteered to be a maid.
(c) She begged for them to let her stay.
(d) They feel obligated because she is favored by Hollingsworth.
14. Mr. Hollingsworth finally arrives and Blithedale and brings a young girl, Priscilla; how does she react when she sees Zenobia?
(a) She drops to her knees and clasps Zenobia's hand.
(b) She yells and runs away.
(c) She begins to scream.
(d) She begins to cry.
15. What does Zenobia praise Mr. Coverdale about at the beginning of Section 2, Chapter 3, as everyone arrives at Blithedale?
(a) His attire.
(b) His food.
(c) His music.
(d) His poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mrs. Foster and her husband in charge of at Blithedale?
2. What does Mr. Coverdale compare Zenobia to in Section 2, Chapter 3?
3. What does Priscilla do when Coverdale tells her that she is fortunate that she has nothing dismal to remember?
4. Why does Coverdale believe the neighbors of Blithedale slander their farming abilities?
5. What makes Coverdale realize that Zenobia will not be friends with Priscilla for long?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)