|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Priscilla used to make silk purses for?
(a) Mrs. Foster.
2. Who does Mr. Coverdale suggest that Mr. Hollingsworth would be of assistance to in Section 1, Chapter 1?
(a) The Veiled Lady.
(b) Mr. Moodie.
3. After Priscilla and Mr. Hollingsworth arrive and are introduced, who tells the others to feed Priscilla?
(a) Mrs. Foster.
(c) Mr. Coverdale.
(d) Mr. Foster.
4. Who does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that he believes Zenobia to be the sister of?
(a) Mrs. Foster.
(b) Mr. Foster.
(d) The Veiled Lady.
5. Why does Coverdale regret peremptorily ending his conversation with Professor Westervelt?
(a) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Priscilla.
(b) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Hollingsworth.
(c) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Zenobia.
(d) He's curious what Westervelt might know about Moodie.
6. What is the name of Mrs. Foster's husband?
7. What is a phenomenon in the Mesmeric line?
(a) The new play by Coverdale.
(b) The opera.
(c) The Veiled Lady.
(d) The Asian Lady.
8. What does Coverdale think Hollingsworth is being reckless about?
(a) His relationship with Zenobia.
(b) His tenderness toward Priscilla.
(c) His pursuit of things outside Blithedale.
(d) His treatment of the other people at Blithedale.
9. After Moodie visits, Coverdale decides to take a holiday for the day; where does he go?
(a) The woods.
(b) The meadow.
(c) The lake.
(d) The city.
10. Where do Hollingsworth, Zenobia, Priscilla, and Coverdale often spend their Sundays?
(a) At a rock named Ernest's Pulpit.
(b) At a rock named Emmett's Pulpit.
(c) At a rock named Eliot's Pulpit.
(d) At a rock named Eli's Pulpit.
11. How is the atmosphere at the first dinner in the Blithedale farmhouse?
12. After the first group dinner at Blithedale, what does Mr. Foster do while everyone adjourns to the sitting room?
(a) Goes to bed.
(b) Sits on the porch and smokes his pipe.
(c) Cobbles an old pair of boots by the kitchen fire.
(d) Takes out the garbage.
13. What does Coverdale suspect that Priscilla purposefully arranged for Moodie to see?
(a) Priscilla crying.
(b) Priscilla and Zenobia acting playfully.
(c) Zenobia and Hollingsworth together.
(d) Priscilla and Hollingsworth together.
14. Why do the people of Blithedale decide to continue sheltering Priscilla?
(a) To deserve the reputation of a benevolent community.
(b) She has volunteered to be a maid.
(c) She begged for them to let her stay.
(d) They feel obligated because she is favored by Hollingsworth.
15. What does Mr. Coverdale suspect about Priscilla and Zenobia in Section 3, Chapter 5?
(a) That Priscilla idolizes Zenobia.
(b) That Priscilla and Zenobia idolize him.
(c) That Priscilla and Zenobia idolize Mr. Hollingsworth.
(d) That Zenobia idolizes Priscilla.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mrs. Foster and her husband in charge of at Blithedale?
2. In Zenobia's story about the Veiled Lady, what spell does the magician tell the lady about, after warning her of peril?
3. Zenobia offers to invent a wild legend one day; how does everyone at Blithedale respond?
4. What does Coverdale complain about his first day at Blithedale?
5. What does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that he should be, in Section 3, Chapter 6?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)