|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year is Iris writing her memoir?
2. Where do the two lovers meet at the beginning of chapter 4?
(a) A run-down cafe.
(b) Under a bridge.
(c) On a street corner.
(d) A friend of the man's room.
3. What name do others use to refer to the group who intends to invade Sakiel-Norn?
(a) People of Despair.
(b) People of Bliss.
(c) People of Desolation.
(d) People of Joy.
4. What are the slaves called in the man's story?
5. In the prologue to the novel within the novel, the main character looks at a picture. What object is depicted on this picture on one side?
(a) A hand.
(b) An apple.
(c) A foot.
(d) A tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the authorities conclude is responsible for setting fire to the button factory?
2. Where was Laura rumored to be?
3. Who is the artist commissioned to sculpt the war memorial?
4. What did the girls call their tutor because of her last name?
5. What is the official cause of Laura's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 1, the protagonist of the sub novel looks at a picture. What does this picture depict?
2. In chapter 5, Laura does something that scares and angers Iris because she thinks it will save her dead mother. What does Laura do?
3. In chapter 6, the man and the woman talk about love and the way the man often says that love isn't real. Do you think the man truly believes this?
4. How does Laura respond to living with Richard and Iris?
5. In chapter 1, do you think Iris is too concerned with maintaining appearances?
6. How does Iris feel about the Laura Chase Memorial Prize?
7. In chapter 5, how do the two sisters feel toward their governess, Miss Violence?
8. At the end of chapter 6, the man is writing a story including characters X, Y, Z, and B. What is this story about?
9. In chapter 1, Iris says "some people can't tell where it hurts. They can't calm down. They can't ever stop howling." Who do you think is/are the "they" she had in mind?
10. According to chapter 6, does the man enjoy writing science fiction stories?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)