|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the woman's imagination, the man is sitting next to a woman who is doing what to pass the time?
(d) Talking to herself.
2. What are the subjects of the story the man tells the woman he has sold?
(a) The Lizard Men.
(b) The Peach Women.
(c) The Blind Assassins.
(d) The People of Rejoicing.
3. What does the man say all stories are about in some way?
4. What is the reason Winifred and Richard give for why they commit Laura?
(a) She said Richard was trying to kill Iris.
(b) She tried to kill Winifred.
(c) She tried to kill herself.
(d) She tried to kill Richard.
5. Laura is scared by her father dressing up as what character when she and Iris are children?
(c) Santa Claus.
(d) The Easter Bunny.
6. In Laura's Latin book, Iris finds a passage from what work?
(a) The Aeneid.
(d) Ars Poetica.
7. What color is Aimee's hair?
8. Where does Richard like to leave bruises on Iris?
(a) Her face.
(b) Her thighs.
(c) Her arms.
(d) Her stomach.
9. Where does the woman read the man's story?
(a) In the back of a taxi.
(b) On a train.
(c) Locked in the bathroom.
(d) Locked in the bedroom.
10. What is the name of the institution to which one of the characters is confined?
(a) Montfort Psychiatric Asylum.
(b) Bella Sera.
(d) Bella Vista.
11. In chapter 12, what faux pas does Richard have to atone for?
(a) Divorcing Iris.
(b) Being new money.
(c) Being too friendly with the Germans.
(d) Having mistresses.
12. Richard receives a letter concerning the psychiatric treatment of which character?
(a) Reenie Hincks.
(b) Winifred Griffen Prior.
(c) Laura Chase.
(d) Iris Chase Griffen.
13. What is wrong with the elder Iris?
(a) She has emphysema.
(b) She has diabetes.
(c) She has cancer.
(d) She has a heart condition.
14. What does the man omit from the published story that distresses the woman?
(a) The conquest of the People of Desolation.
(b) The Peach Women.
(c) The Lizard Men.
(d) The romance between the tongueless virgin and blind assassin.
15. Where did Laura go when she first left Bella Vista?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aimee's biological father?
2. How does Winifred react when Laura tells her that love, not marriage, is important?
3. In the article at the beginning of chapter 12, Richard lauds the British prime minister for doing what?
4. What is the name of the restaurant in which the man and woman eat dinner?
5. Why does the family go to Avilion?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)