|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bosch asks Rourke about stationing men inside the vault, how does Rourke respond?
2. After finding the documents in the FBI jacket, what does Bosch say to Rourke during their phone call?
3. When Bosch sees Veronica Niese's name, of what is he reminded?
4. When Bosch and Wish leave Binh's questioning, what does Bosch turn on?
5. During the phone conversation between Bosch and Villabona, what suggestion does Villabona give to Bosch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Bosch and Wish just before they find out that Sharkey has been killed.
2. Describe the conditions of several of the main characters as the scene in the hospital opens.
3. What is Wish's reaction to what she realizes Bosch has done once they get in the car after questioning Binh?
4. What happens when Bosch visits Hector Villabona at the INS?
5. After Bosch hits one of the gunmen in the chest, what do he and Wish do?
6. What information do Bosch and Wish find out about Binh from Bob Ernst?
7. After Wish checks in with Rourke after Rourke has unveiled his plan, what does Wish report to Bosch?
8. What is the plan that Rourke unveils as they have the meeting around Wish and Bosch's car?
9. Summarize the scene when Bosch pulls Lewis and Clarke out of their car.
10. Describe what occurs when Bosch and Wish go to Binh's store.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often in The Black Echo, the author uses flashback to provide reader with information that helps to explain the plot. Write an essay that chooses one use of flashback that you found helpful in revealing the plot, and then choose another use of flashback that was confusing to you as you read the story. Do you think that the author intended for the flashbacks to occasionally confuse the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Vietnam War history add to the characterization of Rourke and Bosch? What occurred during their time in the war that causes them to act in certain ways throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explains reasons why the author would have chosen the title of The Black Echo for this novel. What is the meaning behind the title? Use examples to support your conclusions.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)