|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wish say that Meadows moves up to the level of a suspect?
2. What Dr. Salazar conducts the autopsy of the victim, what does he conclude?
3. How old is Edward Niese?
4. When Bosch confronts Wish about the files she has pulled, what does she tell him?
5. Why do the two ex-convicts stand out to Bosch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the details Bosch discovers surrounding the disappearance of the stolen bracelet and explain where Bosch was when the bracelet disappears.
2. Describe the scene outside of the pawn shop when Bosch arrives there.
3. Describe how Bosch handles the paperwork aspect of his job, as described in the scene were he returns to the office after being at the crime scene.
4. When detective Bosch arrives at the crime scene, describe the body he finds and the location of the body.
5. Explain the information Irv Irving finds on Bosch when he reviews Bosch's file and what his reaction to Bosch is.
6. Even though Bosch threatens to go to the newspaper if he is taken off of the case, he thinks that his suspension is imminent. Because of this belief, what does he do quickly with regard to the case?
7. Describe the opening scene of the novel.
8. Explain what the FBI thinks the thieves did once inside the vault.
9. When Bosch guesses that there is more to Sharkey's story, what information does Sharkey provide about the crime?
10. What proof does Wish give to characterize Bosch as an "institutional man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are some points in the novel where dramatic irony is used. Summarize at least two of these instances and explain whether or not you think the dramatic irony is effective in revealing the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that describes the setting of the novel. Why do you think that the author chose Southern California as the place for the novel to unfold? With regard to the time in which the novel takes place, is there a historical reason for the novel being placed there?
Essay Topic 3
In this essay, focus on agent Wish. Your essay should analyze her character and explain your feelings about her posing as an ethical FBI agent, when in fact, she was behind some of the crimes. Did you figure this fact out early in your reading, or was it not until the novel revealed it that you understood her motive? Did you understand her motive? Were her intentions good in wanting to make the men pay for what they did?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)