|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sharkey climb into a Grand Am?
2. Why did Meadows's work for the utilities companies end?
3. Once pressed for more details, what does Sharkey say he saw the driver of the vehicle do?
4. What does the pawn shop owner show Bosch?
5. As Wish summarizes the crime, what does she say the FBI suspects the criminals are doing with regard to the underground pipe system?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how detective Bosch identifies the body he finds at the crime scene.
2. Explain how the FBI believes the thieves are tunnel rats from the Vietnam War.
3. Describe the opening scene of the novel.
4. On the third day of the investigation, what is the summary of the crime that Wish provides?
5. Describe how Bosch handles the paperwork aspect of his job, as described in the scene were he returns to the office after being at the crime scene.
6. Bosch finds a major clue when he investigates Meadows' apartment. Describe the clue he finds, how he finds the clue, and what he concludes about that clue.
7. When Bosch meets with FBI agent Wish for the first time, what is the evidence that he presents to her and what evidence does he omit?
8. Describe what occurs when Bosch and Wish drive to the Charlie Company.
9. Describe the dynamic of the relationship between Wish, Bosch and Rourke as Bosch begins his work on the investigation with the FBI.
10. Compare what the FBI and the IAD do with regard to Bosch in this section of the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that summarizes the three best uses, in your opinion, of foreshadowing. Why do you think those three elements of foreshadowing were most effective in telling the story? Are there any elements of foreshadowing that were misleading? If so, include in your essay and explanation of whether or not this was effective in revealing the plot.
Essay Topic 2
There are some points in the novel where dramatic irony is used. Summarize at least two of these instances and explain whether or not you think the dramatic irony is effective in revealing the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contract the protagonist, Bosch, with one of the antagonists, Wish. It is not evident until later in the novel that Wish is an antagonist, but there are clues that let the reader know that in most ways, she is working again Bosch. Include in your essay evidence given by the author early on in the plot that made you understand that Wish is an antagonist.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)