|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eilonwy tell Taran about the food the enchantresses put before them?
(a) That it's safe to eat.
(b) That he shouldn't eat it.
(c) That he should take a bite and see what happens.
(d) That he should check it for poison.
2. Who reveals to Ellidyr that they've found the cauldron?
3. Near the end of Chapter Sixteen, what does Taran say the cauldron looks like from its place in the edge of the river.
(a) A glowering beast of prey.
(b) A nasty, evil pot.
(c) A horrible hag.
(d) A menacing monster.
4. What happens when Taran and the others try to pick up the cauldron?
(a) It doesn't move, and they are stuck to it.
(b) They realize it's too heavy to carry and have to scoot it across the floor.
(c) They realize it's actually very light.
(d) It becomes very hot..
5. Where is Gurgi when Taran and the others are facing the enchantress?
(a) Moving quietly toward the door.
(b) Hiding behind Eilonwy.
(c) Moving to the enchantress's left to attack her.
(d) Hiding behind Taran.
6. What does Fflewddur think is broken that causes him to say, "It's useless," when he falls near the edge of the river?
(a) His leg.
(b) His harp.
(c) His nose.
(d) His arm.
7. What is the gift Gwystyl gives Taran?
(a) A crow.
(b) A horse.
(c) A sword.
(d) A bag of herbs.
8. Why does Taran say he doesn't dare lead them through the marshes toward Caer Dallben?
(a) The horses have to walk side by side and the path is too narrow.
(b) Without the brooch, they'll probably die in quicksand.
(c) With the heavy cauldron, they'll probably drown.
(d) He has lost the map.
9. What does Taran say when the enchantresses ask for Eilonwy's name?
(a) He says her name is Indeg.
(b) He refuses to say anything.
(c) He says her name is Princess Eilonwy.
(d) He says her name is Queen Justine.
10. What is the ridiculous question the enchantress asks Taran and the others?
(a) How many twigs in a bird's next.
(b) How many drops in a bucket of water.
(c) How many hairs on a dog's back.
(d) How many licks in a lolly pop.
11. Who pulls the ropes while Taran pushes at the cauldron in an effort to get it out of the river?
(a) Fflewddur and Gurdi.
(b) Eilonwy, Gurdi, and the horses.
(c) Taran and the horses.
(d) Fflewddur and Eilonwy.
12. What happens when Taran hits the cauldron with his hammer?
(a) It cracks only slightly.
(b) The paint cracks and peels.
(c) It dents only slightly.
13. Why does Gwydion say Morgant should be honored?
(a) Because he didn't use the cauldron.
(b) Because he was once a great man.
(c) Because he captured Ellidyr.
(d) Because he died valiantly.
14. At the end of Chapter Nineteen, what does Taran see when the wind blows the curtains aside?
(a) Doli and Smoit, coming to the rescue.
(b) A huge flock of birds.
(c) The army of Huntsmen preparing to attack.
(d) The warriors lining up near the cauldron.
15. What do the enchantresses say they turned the Huntsmen into?
(c) They don't say.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Doli's ears when he first appears in Chapter Twenty?
2. What does Ellidyr do to destroy the cauldron?
3. What does Fflewddur do to try to cheer up the group after a day of traveling with the cauldron?
4. Why does the enchantress Orwen say she suggested that Taran and the others be turned into something besides toads?
5. What are the properties Orddu says the brooch has?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)