|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gurgi do during the night while Taran and the others are trying to escape?
(a) Tries to untie his bindings.
(b) Tries to cut through Fflewddur's bindings.
(d) He's unconscious and does nothing.
2. What does Eilonwy respond when Ellidyr says Taran will break his promise?
(a) Ellidyr would break his promises, but that they aren't like him.
(b) Ellidyr is a hateful man.
(c) Taran is a man of his word.
(d) She will make sure Taran keeps his word.
3. What does Taran say he believes the group should do?
(b) Steal the cauldron.
(c) Destroy the cauldron.
(d) Tell Dallben and Gwydion.
4. Why does the enchantress Orwen say she suggested that Taran and the others be turned into something besides toads?
(a) She hates toads.
(b) She wants to try a new spell.
(c) For variety.
(d) She has too many toads already.
5. What is the weapon Ellidyr uses against Taran as Chapter Seventeen comes to a close?
(a) A rock.
(b) A stick.
(c) A sword.
(d) A bow and arrow.
6. What does Doli say about releasing Ellidyr?
(a) He'll be an asset to their team.
(b) He should be thankful Doli found him.
(c) He should stay bound.
(d) He has to join in their fight.
7. Where does Gurgi find the cauldron?
(a) In the marsh.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In the cottage.
(d) In the chicken roost.
8. What does Taran say the three enchantresses are doing when he peeks into the cottage at night?
(a) Cooking frog legs.
(b) Carding wool, spinning, and weaving.
(c) Cooking a potion from herbs.
(d) Chanting and dancing.
9. Why does Taran say he stole the cauldron?
(a) To be able to keep it.
(b) To build an army.
(c) To have the glory of turning it over to Gwydion.
(d) To sell it back to Arawn.
10. What does Taran say when the enchantresses ask for Eilonwy's name?
(a) He says her name is Indeg.
(b) He says her name is Queen Justine.
(c) He says her name is Princess Eilonwy.
(d) He refuses to say anything.
11. In the opening of Chapter Sixteen, why does Taran say they must keep to the forest?
(a) For a source of food.
(b) For cover from the snow storm that's soon to arrive.
(c) It's the shortest way.
(d) For cover to hide from the gwythaints.
12. What happens to the cauldron when Taran and the others put it in the sunshine?
(a) It turns as red as blood.
(b) It melts.
(c) It begins to bubble.
(d) It begins to groan.
13. What does Fflewddur do to try to cheer up the group after a day of traveling with the cauldron?
(a) Tells jokes.
(b) Sings and plays his harp.
(c) Builds a fire for warmth.
(d) Maps out the distance they covered.
14. What does Orddu call the Black Cauldron?
(a) The Dark Cauldron.
(b) The Dark Crockery.
(c) The Black Kettle.
(d) The Black Crochan.
15. What happens when Taran hits the cauldron with his hammer?
(a) It cracks only slightly.
(b) The paint cracks and peels.
(c) It dents only slightly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Orddu say she didn't steal the brooch?
2. Who pulls the ropes while Taran pushes at the cauldron in an effort to get it out of the river?
3. What does Fflewddur think is broken that causes him to say, "It's useless," when he falls near the edge of the river?
4. What is Fflewddur's role when they are struggling again to get the cauldron from the water?
5. What does Gurgi offer to trade for the cauldron?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)