|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Orddu say Eilonwy must not touch the fabric on a loom?
(a) It's filled with nettles.
(b) It isn't finished.
(c) It is enchanted.
(d) It carries a dark magic.
2. What does Taran say he believes the group should do?
(a) Tell Dallben and Gwydion.
(b) Steal the cauldron.
(d) Destroy the cauldron.
3. In the opening lines of Chapter Eleven, what happens to make Taran drop his sword?
(a) A warrior strikes his hand with a hammer.
(b) A fairy lights on hs hand and startles him.
(c) The sword turns into a snake.
(d) The sword becomes too hot for him to hold.
4. What role does Morgant play in binding Taran and his friends?
(a) He ties up Gorgi and gags Fflewddur.
(b) He gags Eilonwy and ties up Taran.
(c) He gives the order, then watches.
(d) He ties up Eilonwy.
5. What does Eilonwy respond when Ellidyr says Taran will break his promise?
(a) She will make sure Taran keeps his word.
(b) Taran is a man of his word.
(c) Ellidyr would break his promises, but that they aren't like him.
(d) Ellidyr is a hateful man.
6. What are the properties Orddu says the brooch has?
(a) Strength, honor, and courage.
(b) Increased senses of smell, taste, and touch.
(c) Valor, glory, and reliability.
(d) Dreams, wisdom, and vision.
7. Why does Taran suggest that Morgant cast him into the cauldron while he's still alive?
(a) Taran hopes to find a way to escape.
(b) Taran wants the glory of being the first of Morgant's new army.
(c) Taran knows that will break the cauldron.
(d) Taran believes that it will give him inhuman strength.
8. Why does Orddu say the three enchantresses have the cauldron?
(a) It belongs to them.
(b) Arawn lost it in the marshes.
(c) They stole it.
(d) They don't have it.
9. What does Morgant say he'll do to make Taran do what he's told?
(a) Break Taran's sword and Fflewddur's harp.
(b) Torture Dallben.
(c) Kill Taran.
(d) Kill Eilonwy, Gurgi, and Fflewddur.
10. Who says they should give Ellidyr the food he asks for?
11. What happens to the cauldron when Taran and the others put it in the sunshine?
(a) It turns as red as blood.
(b) It begins to groan.
(c) It melts.
(d) It begins to bubble.
12. What does Ellidyr do to destroy the cauldron?
(a) Chops it with his sword.
(b) Throws himself in it.
(c) Throws it off a cliff.
(d) Throws Morgant in it.
13. What does Ellidyr say when Taran warns of the black beast sitting on his shoulder?
(a) That he doesn't care.
(b) That the beast is his friend.
(c) That he can overcome it.
(d) That Taran is a liar.
14. What does Islimach do after seeing Ellidyr's body?
(a) Pushes at Ellidyr as if to try to wake him.
(b) Plunges to his death off a cliff.
(c) Puts his head down to hide his tears.
(d) Moves to Taran's side.
15. What are the first words Ellidyr says to Taran and the others when they are reunited in Chapter Seventeen?
(a) Were you trying to lose me?
(b) Well met, brave company of scarecrows.
(c) Where have you been?
(d) Am I glad to see you!
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gift Gwystyl gives Taran?
2. Who pulls the ropes while Taran pushes at the cauldron in an effort to get it out of the river?
3. What is the injury Fflewddur suffers when he falls near the edge of the river?
4. What does Orddu call the Black Cauldron?
5. Who kills Morgant?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)