|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alessandra say the painter suffers from boils?
2. Why does Alessandra stay up all night with Cristoforo in Chapter 40?
3. Who does Alessandra go with to see the chapel fresco before the dedication?
4. Why does the Pope excommunicate Savonarola?
5. Why does Cristoforo say Savonarola is losing power in Chapter 41?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the painter arrested?
2. What does Alessandra do after learning Cristoforo has faked his death?
3. When Alessandra visits the painter while he is locked in the chapel, what does she discover about his art?
4. How does Alessandra grow closer to the painter when he stays with her and Cristoforo?
5. How do the French affect Alessandra's life in Chapter 20?
6. Why does Cristoforo fake his death?
7. What does Savonarola preach about when he won't let women in the church?
8. What does Alessandra do before the painter leaves the convent?
9. What is Alessandra's life like when the painter is at the convent?
10. What happens to the painter after he is released from jail in Chapter 42?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Alessandra to her sister Plautilla.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use high art to mirror politics in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Cristoforo to the painter.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)