|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alessandra cut herself in Chapter 27?
2. How does the painter try to stop himself from painting in Chapter 30?
3. Who does Plautilla want to talk about when she visits Alessandra in Chapter 35?
4. What does the painter do when he learns that Alessandra is pregnant?
5. In Chapter 24, what does Alessandra notice about the clothing worn by the people in Florence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alessandra do after learning Cristoforo has faked his death?
2. How does Cristoforo react to Tomaso and the painter being arrested?
3. Why does the painter come to visit Alessandra in Chapter 21?
4. What makes Alessandra's life in the convent less pleasing to her?
5. Why does Cristoforo want Alessandra to kick the painter out of their house in Chapter 34?
6. Why does Cristoforo fake his death?
7. What happens when Alessandra visits the chapel before the dedication?
8. What does Savonarola do when the plague comes to Florence?
9. What happens to the painter after he is released from jail in Chapter 42?
10. What illnesses does Cristoforo worry about in Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Cristoforo to the painter.
Essay Topic 2
Compare at least two leaders in The Birth of Venus.
Essay Topic 3
Trace Alessandra's relationship with the painter throughout this novel. How is this relationship affected by outside forces? How is it shaped by inside forces? Which do you think are most powerful?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)