|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alessandra ask her mother about her engagement in Chapter 25?
2. Why does Alessandra assume the painter is the father of her child?
3. Why does Erila say Alessandra had a miscarriage in Chapter 28?
4. Where does the painter begin painting the snake on Alessandra?
5. In Chapter 20, how many days do the French stay in Florence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alessandra react when Cristoforo brings Tomaso home in Chapter 26?
2. How does Cristoforo react to Tomaso and the painter being arrested?
3. What does Savonarola preach about when he won't let women in the church?
4. In Chapter 25, why does Alessandra ask her mother about her engagement?
5. How does painting the convent's chapel's fresco affect Alessandra?
6. In Chapter 22, what worries Cristoforo about the current political climate?
7. When Alessandra visits the painter while he is locked in the chapel, what does she discover about his art?
8. What illnesses does Cristoforo worry about in Chapter 37?
9. How do the French affect Alessandra's life in Chapter 20?
10. What happens to the painter after he is released from jail in Chapter 42?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how the descriptions of the two frescoes in this novel reflect the character development of the major characters.
Essay Topic 2
What relationship between political and personal revolts does the author create in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What role does marriage play in The Birth of Venus? How does marriage affect the conflicts in this novel?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)