|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, how many days do the French stay in Florence?
2. Why does Cristoforo fear Tomaso will give his name after being arrested?
3. In Chapter 21, who is Alessandra with when she discovers the body?
4. Why does Erila want Alessandra to stay in her bed in Chapter 28?
5. Who does Plautilla want to talk about when she visits Alessandra in Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illnesses does Cristoforo worry about in Chapter 37?
2. What does Alessandra do when she begins to go into labor?
3. How does Alessandra react to the snake tattoo she sees on the man in the market?
4. In Chapter 22, what worries Cristoforo about the current political climate?
5. How does Alessandra prepare to end her life?
6. Why does Cristoforo want Alessandra to kick the painter out of their house in Chapter 34?
7. How does Cristoforo react to Tomaso and the painter being arrested?
8. Why does the painter come to visit Alessandra in Chapter 21?
9. What makes Alessandra's life in the convent less pleasing to her?
10. How does Erila react when she learns that Alessandra and the painter made love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare at least two leaders in The Birth of Venus.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of dialogue to develop the characters in the novel as compared to descriptive passages.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze this novel as an example of historical fiction.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)