|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Lucrezia want done with the nun's body in "Prologue"?
2. When does Tomaso believe Alessandra should be painted in Chapter 1?
3. Why doesn't Alessandra talk to the painter when he first begins to paint her?
4. How does Savonarola describe the people of Florence?
5. What does the painter finally talk to Alessandra about in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Alessandra's dancing lessons in Chapter 2?
2. After the murder in the church, what is the next murder to be discovered?
3. What does Cristoforo show Alessandra after they are married?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Alessandra see in the middle of the night?
5. In Chapter 1, what does Alessandra's father relationship with the painter represent?
6. What makes Alessandra think that Cristoforo will understand her desire to paint?
7. What does Alessandra do when she finds the painter in the chapel in Chapter 8?
8. What does Tomaso tell Alessandra about the murders in Chapter 9?
9. When Alessandra first sits for the painter in Chapter 5, what makes it difficult to speak to him?
10. How does Tomaso treat Alessandra before her wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze this novel as an example of historical fiction.
Essay Topic 2
What role does marriage play in The Birth of Venus? How does marriage affect the conflicts in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What role does infidelity play in The Birth of Venus? How does the author portray infidelity as a positive thing? As a negative thing?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)