|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alessandra ask of Cristoforo in Chapter 19?
2. When Alessandra wakes up in Chapter 9, why does she wait before going downstairs?
3. Why are the plans for Alessandra's wedding rushed?
4. When Alessandra first sits for the painter, what does she ask him about talent?
5. What does Alessandra do when the painter won't speak to her in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alessandra say she wants to be married in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Alessandra's family gossip about?
3. What happens when Alessandra meets the painter in the garden in Chapter 12?
4. When Alessandra first sits for the painter in Chapter 5, what makes it difficult to speak to him?
5. How does Alessandra feel about marriage in Chapter 3?
6. What makes Alessandra think that Cristoforo will understand her desire to paint?
7. In Chapter 9, how does Alessandra feel when she wakes up?
8. What happens after Cristoforo admits to being a homosexual?
9. In Chapter 1, what does Alessandra's father relationship with the painter represent?
10. What does Alessandra criticize the painter for in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of symbolism in this novel. Consider Alessandra's snake tattoo or the images in the frescos.
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's commentary on the power of loss? How does she make loss into a motif?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use high art to mirror politics in this novel?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)