|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alessandra struggle to paint in Chapter 4?
2. In "Prologue," where is the plague outbreak?
3. What does Mother Superior discover about Sister Lucrezia's body?
4. How does Alessandra's mother feel about her painting?
5. In Chapter 1, when does Sister Lucrezia's story begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alessandra criticize the painter for in Chapter 1?
2. When Alessandra first sits for the painter in Chapter 5, what makes it difficult to speak to him?
3. How does Tomaso treat Alessandra before her wedding?
4. In Chapter 16, what happens when Alessandra sneaks out of the house?
5. What happens during the church services in Chapter 11?
6. What does Cristoforo show Alessandra after they are married?
7. What happens when Alessandra tries to paint in Chapter 4?
8. What does Alessandra do after sitting for the painter for the first time?
9. What does the ringing bell in Chapter 17 remind Alessandra's mother of?
10. What news do Alessandra's parents share with her in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how the descriptions of the two frescoes in this novel reflect the character development of the major characters.
Essay Topic 2
What role does marriage play in The Birth of Venus? How does marriage affect the conflicts in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of freedom in The Birth of Venus. Consider freedom in relationships, society, politics and the arts.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)