|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alessandra feel when she sneaks out in Chapter 16?
2. Why does Alessandra go to the chapel in Chapter 8?
3. How does Tomaso react to news of Plautilla's pregnancy?
4. Who looks for a husband for Alessandra in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 9, why is it rumored that the murdered bodies will be moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alessandra do when the painter doesn't tell her what he thinks of her drawings?
2. Why does Alessandra say she wants to be married in Chapter 10?
3. What happens after Cristoforo admits to being a homosexual?
4. When Alessandra first sits for the painter in Chapter 5, what makes it difficult to speak to him?
5. In Chapter 4, what does Alessandra see in the middle of the night?
6. In Chapter 9, how does Alessandra feel when she wakes up?
7. What does Alessandra criticize the painter for in Chapter 1?
8. What does Alessandra do after sitting for the painter for the first time?
9. Why do Alessandra's siblings argue about being painted in Chapter 1?
10. What does the ringing bell in Chapter 17 remind Alessandra's mother of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does this novel develop the Italian Renaissance into a character instead of a setting?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the gender roles in Alessandra's society.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze this novel as an example of historical fiction.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)