|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Erila do when she wakes Alessandra in Chapter 43?
(a) Makes her take medicine.
(b) Changes her clothes.
(c) Has her move to the guest house.
(d) Drags her through town.
2. What makes Tomaso confess his homosexuality to his mother?
(a) He doesn't confess.
(b) His religious faith.
(c) His illness.
(d) He may be arrested for it.
3. Why does Mother Superior let the painter stay with Alessandra in the convent?
(a) To do odd jobs around the convent.
(b) To keep her company.
(c) To help her with the chapel.
(d) She doesn't know the painter is staying at the convent.
4. What does Cristoforo do after the French leave Florence in Chapter 20?
(a) He joins the army.
(b) He hides his gold.
(c) He takes Alessandra for a vacation.
(d) He leaves town.
5. Why does Alessandra stay up all night with Cristoforo in Chapter 40?
(a) To see if he will be arrested.
(b) To pray together.
(c) To help him come up with an escape plan.
(d) To pack up their belongings.
6. Why does Alessandra fake her tumor?
(a) She wants more attention from the other nuns.
(b) She feels she has lived long enough.
(c) She needs to see a doctor.
(d) She is bored.
7. When does Savonarola return to preach after being excommunicated?
(a) Fall harvest.
(b) New Year's.
8. In Chapter 21, why does Alessandra begin spending time in Cristoforo's library?
(a) The city bores her.
(b) She is afraid to go out.
(c) She wants to learn more.
(d) The library is pretty.
9. What season is it in Chapter 35?
10. In Chapter 40, why does the monk ask Alessandra and Erila for help?
(a) He wants to start a new church.
(b) He can't afford to eat.
(c) He is trapped in jail.
(d) He knows of an injured person.
11. What does Alessandra do when she cannot sleep in Chapter 27?
(a) She says prayers.
(b) She reads a book.
(c) She asks Cristoforo to speak with her.
(d) She decides to draw.
12. In Chapter 49, why does the church come down on the convent?
(a) The church wants the convent to stop wasting money.
(b) The church wants the convent to support the arts.
(c) The church wants the convent to be more conventional.
(d) The church wants the convent to prepare more nuns.
13. Why does the Pope excommunicate Savonarola?
(a) For giving away bibles.
(b) For spreading the plague.
(c) For taking offerings from homes.
(d) For hiding money.
14. How does Savonarola react to the plague?
(a) He begins to practice medicine.
(b) He hands out free bibles.
(c) He preaches from under a hood.
(d) He burns objects.
15. Where does Alessandra find the book with the inscription from Lorenzo?
(a) A store in town.
(b) Cristoforo's library.
(c) Tomaso's room.
(d) The painter's bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people help Alessandra through her labor?
2. What does Cristoforo demand when Alessandra goes into labor?
3. What does Alessandra see on the ceiling of the chapel in Chapter 30?
4. Why does the painter leave one panel of the chapel fresco blank?
5. After meeting the monk in Chapter 40, what does Alessandra think of the monk?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)