|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people help Alessandra through her labor?
2. In Chapter 47, how is the atmosphere of the convent described?
(d) Full of gossip.
3. Why does Alessandra stay up all night with Cristoforo in Chapter 40?
(a) To pack up their belongings.
(b) To see if he will be arrested.
(c) To pray together.
(d) To help him come up with an escape plan.
4. Why does Alessandra worry about people stealing from her home in Chapter 38?
(a) Because people were pillaging wealthy homes.
(b) Because her pregnancy made her paranoid.
(c) Because Savonarola warned about it.
(d) Because she saw new people in town.
5. How do the painter and his daughter fund their trip through Europe?
(a) They use his trust fund.
(b) They sell their paintings.
(c) They perform on the street.
(d) They sell parts of the Dante manuscript.
6. Why does Erila say Alessandra had a miscarriage in Chapter 28?
(a) To keep Alessandra's mother away.
(b) To protect her from Cristoforo.
(c) To let her get more rest.
(d) To make it seem like Cristoforo is heterosexual.
7. What does the man in the market with the snake tattoo do to it in front of Alessandra?
(a) He pretends to feed it.
(b) He makes it move.
(c) He flicks the skin.
(d) He covers it up.
8. Why does Alessandra send her mother away in Chapter 25?
(a) She isn't feeling well.
(b) She dislikes the gift.
(c) Cristoforo is coming home soon.
(d) She is angry with her.
9. How does Cristoforo react when he learns about Alessandra making love to the painter?
(a) He tells her to send the painter away.
(b) He doesn't believe her.
(c) He says he doesn't care.
(d) He laughs at her.
10. In Chapter 44, why does everyone in Alessandra's house leave?
(a) To watch Savonarola be arrested.
(b) To let her have time alone.
(c) To celebrate the painter.
(d) To attend church.
11. In Chapter 45, who is arrested after Savonarola?
(a) Other monks.
(d) Business owners.
12. What makes Tomaso confess his homosexuality to his mother?
(a) He doesn't confess.
(b) His religious faith.
(c) He may be arrested for it.
(d) His illness.
13. When does Savonarola return to preach after being excommunicated?
(a) New Year's.
(c) Fall harvest.
14. Who encourages Alessandra to try for a child with Cristoforo in Chapter 33?
(d) The painter.
15. Why does Alessandra say she is writing down her sins in Chapter 49?
(a) Because it makes her feel better.
(b) Because it is her mother's request.
(c) Because she wants the painter to read them.
(d) Because Erila wants her life story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alessandra want the painter to take their daughter with him when he leaves the convent?
2. Why does Savonarola visit the convents in Chapter 28?
3. How does Erila respond to the snake tattoo?
4. Why does Alessandra fake her tumor?
5. Where does the painter begin painting the snake on Alessandra?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)