|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What music, coming from the wireless radio, alerts Nat that something is wrong?
(a) Rock music.
(b) Classical music.
(c) Patriotic music.
(d) Dance music.
2. According to Nat’s calculation, how long will each “lull” between attacks last?
(a) 10 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 2 hours.
3. During the “special” dinner Nat’s prepared, how many birds break in?
4. With each attack, what has changed about the birds?
(a) Each attack has lessened the birds’ intensity.
(b) Each attack has brought larger species of birds.
(c) Each attack has brought greater clarity to the birds’ behavior.
(d) Each attack has created a new target for the birds.
5. Whose body is found next to the Triggs’ telephone?
(a) The dog.
(b) Mr. Trigg.
(c) Mrs. Trigg.
(d) The farmhand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the farmhand died next to?
2. Why does Nat whistle and sing while preparing dinner for his family?
3. When Nat exits the house to collect supplies, what does he notice about the land birds?
4. What had Mrs. Trigg attempted to use to fight off the birds, to no avail?
5. What detail about the Trigg farm initially fills Nat with misgiving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nat feel a sense of admiration for the birds?
2. Why does Nat decide to take his family with him to the Trigg farm in search of supplies?
3. Why does Nat drive through the second gate to his home after leaving the Trigg farm?
4. What does Mrs. Hocken chide Johnny about during dinner in the story’s final section, and why is this ironic?
5. What state are Mr. and Mrs. Trigg in when Nat arrives at their house?
6. During the final attack, what does Nat wonder about the birds’ mindset?
7. How have the farm animals, on both the Hocken and Trigg properties, been affected by the attacks?
8. How does the Hocken family respond to the six o’clock news announcement?
9. Why happens that leads Nat to realize the necessity of keeping a fire burning in the kitchen chimney at all times?
10. Who is Jim, and how was he killed?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)