|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound fills the room when the news announcement fails to broadcast?
(d) Dance music.
2. How does Nat react to the crashing sound, which ends the droning?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is horrified.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is relieved.
3. Which character thinks an army attack against the birds would be a “waste of life”?
(a) Nat Hocken.
(b) Mr. Trigg.
(c) Mrs. Trigg.
(d) Mrs. Hocken.
4. According to Nat’s calculation, how long will each “lull” between attacks last?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 6 hours.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 10 hours.
5. Why does Nat worry about the cows during the bird attacks?
(a) The birds are killing livestock
(b) They're penned in and cannot escape
(c) They need to be milked
(d) He doesn’t want them to get stolen
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Mrs. Trigg attempted to use to fight off the birds, to no avail?
2. Between attacks, how is the sky frequently described?
3. While collecting supplies, what reason does Nat realize the birds have for not attacking him?
4. When Nat exits the house to collect supplies, what does he notice about the land birds?
5. What is the name of the farmhand killed on the Trigg farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nat feel a sense of admiration for the birds?
2. How has the radio announcer’s voice changed in the 6 o’clock broadcast?
3. What does Mrs. Hocken chide Johnny about during dinner in the story’s final section, and why is this ironic?
4. Who is Jim, and how was he killed?
5. What does Nat realize is the force behind the bird attacks, and what does this mean to his survival planning?
6. Why happens that leads Nat to realize the necessity of keeping a fire burning in the kitchen chimney at all times?
7. How does the radio music change during the attacks, and what does this signify?
8. How does Nat use the bird corpses to reinforce his barricades, and how does he feel about this?
9. Why doesn’t Nat feel bad about stealing supplies from the Trigg farm, and how much does he gather?
10. Why does silence fill the Hocken house after the third attack, and what does this mean?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)