|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the farmhand died next to?
(a) His gun.
(b) A fishing net.
(c) The telephone.
(d) The radio.
2. Why does Nat whistle and sing while preparing dinner for his family?
(a) He doesn’t want to frighten them.
(b) He doesn’t know what else to do.
(c) He is happy about the broadcast.
(d) He always whistles when he’s nervous.
3. What does Nat think the army should do to fight against the birds?
(a) Drop a bomb.
(b) Nothing – he knows it would be fruitless.
(c) Shoot them with machine guns.
(d) Spray them with mustard gas.
4. Before the final attack, what is the Hocken family eating for dinner?
(a) Spaghetti and meatballs.
(b) Toasted cheese.
(d) Fried chicken.
5. When Mrs. Hocken hears droning during dinner, what does she think it is?
(d) The birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Mrs. Trigg’s body does Nat see and immediately know she is dead?
2. Why does Nat worry about the cows during the bird attacks?
3. What reason does Nat give Jill as to why the birds won’t attack them on their way to the farm?
4. With each attack, what has changed about the birds?
5. Before the final attack, what does Nat mistake the swarm of gulls as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the radio announcer’s voice changed in the 6 o’clock broadcast?
2. How have the farm animals, on both the Hocken and Trigg properties, been affected by the attacks?
3. What does Mrs. Hocken chide Johnny about during dinner in the story’s final section, and why is this ironic?
4. What state are Mr. and Mrs. Trigg in when Nat arrives at their house?
5. What is Nat doing as the story comes to a close?
6. During the final attack, what does Nat wonder about the birds’ mindset?
7. Why happens that leads Nat to realize the necessity of keeping a fire burning in the kitchen chimney at all times?
8. How does the radio music change during the attacks, and what does this signify?
9. What is the droning sound that the Hockens hear during their dinner, and why does it stop?
10. Why doesn’t Nat feel bad about stealing supplies from the Trigg farm, and how much does he gather?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)