|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jill get to school each day?
(a) By carpool.
(b) By walking.
(c) By bus.
(d) By bicycle.
2. Where does Nat deposit the bird bodies collected from his home?
(a) At the farm.
(b) In a dumpster.
(c) In the river,
(d) On the beach.
3. As he watches the birds fly closer, what does Nat realize is their target?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The school.
(c) The church.
(d) The farm.
4. When Nat sees the gulls circling overhead, what do they look like they’re waiting for?
(c) The tide.
5. When he sees the birds heading inland, who does Nat telephone?
(a) The police.
(b) The operator.
(c) The news broadcaster.
(d) The prime minister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Trigg think has poisoned the birds?
2. What is Mrs. Trigg’s reaction to Nat’s story about the previous night’s attack?
3. What country does Mrs. Trigg think the violent birds have come from?
4. Why can’t Nat bury the bird bodies in his back garden?
5. Who offers to drive Jill home from the bus stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nat find irritating about the radio announcer’s voice, and why?
2. When do the birds first draw blood from Nat?
3. What does Nat Hocken do for a living, and why does he enjoy it?
4. What does Nat think has caused the birds’ strange behavior?
5. How is the weather described on the morning of the first bird attack?
6. What is Nat’s mental state when he returns home from the bus stop?
7. When does Nat typically watch the birds, and what does he notice about them when the story opens?
8. What theory does Mrs. Trigg present as the origins of the strange birds?
9. How does Nat fight the birds away from his children during the first attack?
10. What startling sight does Nat see while on the beach?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)