|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nat worry about the cows during the bird attacks?
(a) They need to be milked
(b) The birds are killing livestock
(c) He doesn’t want them to get stolen
(d) They're penned in and cannot escape
2. What does Nat realize the droning during dinner really is?
(b) The birds.
(c) Fighter planes.
(d) Trigg’s truck.
3. What reason does Nat give Jill as to why the birds won’t attack them on their way to the farm?
(a) Because the attacks are over now
(b) Because it’s light out
(c) Because they’re not hungry
(d) Because the tide hasn’t turned
4. What is Nat doing as the story comes to a close?
5. If the family lasts through the next attack, what does Nat plan to add to the windows to reinforce his barricade?
(a) Corrugated metal.
(b) Broken glass.
(c) Barbed wire.
6. After turning off the wireless, what time do the children finally fall asleep?
(a) 8:30 am.
(c) 4 o’clock pm.
7. What had Mrs. Trigg attempted to use to fight off the birds, to no avail?
(a) A butcher’s knife.
(b) A rolling pin.
(c) A shovel.
(d) An umbrella.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the crucial supplies Nat seeks to collect?
9. In the face of impending attacks, what does the announcer ask the population to do?
(a) Fight like hell.
(b) Remain calm.
(d) Embrace their loved ones.
10. Whose body is found next to the Triggs’ telephone?
(a) Mrs. Trigg.
(b) The dog.
(c) The farmhand.
(d) Mr. Trigg.
11. What frightens the children enough for Nat to shout at them to “Stop crying”?
(a) The sight of Nat holding a gun.
(b) The birds pecking at their windows.
(c) The birds burning in the fireplace.
(d) The sound of their mother shrieking in the bathroom.
12. How does Nat react to the crashing sound, which ends the droning?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is horrified.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is apathetic.
13. Why does Mrs. Hocken forbid Nat from gathering supplies at the Trigg home?
(a) She doesn’t want to be left alone.
(b) She doesn’t like the Triggs.
(c) She thinks they have enough supplies as it is.
(d) It's too dangerous.
14. When Nat exits the house to collect supplies, what does he notice about the land birds?
(a) They don’t communicate with each other.
(b) Their feathers have a red sheen, likely from their victims’ blood.
(c) Their eyes have turned black, as if they’re evil.
(d) They simply stare at him, apathetic to attack.
15. When Mrs. Hocken hears droning during dinner, what does she think it is?
(d) The birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nat do with the Triggs’ bodies before returning home?
2. After battling birds in the kitchen, what does Nat ask his wife for?
3. Before signing off for the afternoon, when does the announcer promise to resume broadcast?
4. During the third attack, what room does Nat realize the birds have broken into?
5. Which animals are described as “distressed” when Nat arrives at the farm?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)