|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nat whistle and sing while preparing dinner for his family?
(a) He doesn’t want to frighten them.
(b) He always whistles when he’s nervous.
(c) He doesn’t know what else to do.
(d) He is happy about the broadcast.
2. According to the announcer, what is the most important step citizens should take to protect themselves against the bird attacks?
(a) Barricade their homes.
(b) Nothing – they should go about their regular lives.
(c) Stock up on guns and ammo.
(d) Ensure they have enough food and water.
3. What does Nat notice about the Triggs’ telephone?
(a) Nothing – the Triggs don’t have a telephone.
(b) The operator is still on the other line.
(c) They never had it installed.
(d) It has been torn from the wall.
4. Upon arriving at the Trigg farm, what does Nat notice about the sheep?
(a) They have broken through. the fence to graze
(b) They are thin and emaciated.
(c) They cower, terrified, in their pen.
(d) The birds have slaughtered them.
5. What does Nat think the army should do to fight against the birds?
(a) Shoot them with machine guns.
(b) Drop a bomb.
(c) Spray them with mustard gas.
(d) Nothing – he knows it would be fruitless.
6. What frightens the children enough for Nat to shout at them to “Stop crying”?
(a) The sight of Nat holding a gun.
(b) The birds pecking at their windows.
(c) The birds burning in the fireplace.
(d) The sound of their mother shrieking in the bathroom.
7. What sound fills the room when the news announcement fails to broadcast?
(a) Dance music.
8. Before signing off for the afternoon, when does the announcer promise to resume broadcast?
(b) 6 o’clock pm.
(c) 7 o’clock am.
9. During the third attack, what room does Nat realize the birds have broken into?
(a) The living room.
(b) The attic.
(c) The children’s bedroom.
(d) The pantry.
10. If the family lasts through the next attack, what does Nat plan to add to the windows to reinforce his barricade?
(b) Broken glass.
(c) Barbed wire.
(d) Corrugated metal.
11. When Mrs. Hocken hears droning during dinner, what does she think it is?
(c) The birds.
12. Why does Mrs. Hocken forbid Nat from gathering supplies at the Trigg home?
(a) She doesn’t want to be left alone.
(b) She thinks they have enough supplies as it is.
(c) She doesn’t like the Triggs.
(d) It's too dangerous.
13. After the second attack, what does Nat realize is controlling the birds’ behavior?
(a) The wind.
(b) The tide.
(c) The moon.
(d) The sun.
14. Which type of dead bird litters the Trigg farm?
15. Which animals are described as “distressed” when Nat arrives at the farm?
(a) The horses.
(b) The cows.
(c) The pigs.
(d) The chickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many journeys does Nat make between the farm and his home, loading up his car with supplies?
2. How does Nat enter the Trigg home?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the crucial supplies Nat seeks to collect?
4. What is Nat doing as the story comes to a close?
5. After the third attack, what emotion overcomes Nat?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)