|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the final attack, what does Nat mistake the swarm of gulls as?
(b) A wave.
(c) An airplane.
(d) The Navy.
2. What does Nat think the army should do to fight against the birds?
(a) Spray them with mustard gas.
(b) Nothing – he knows it would be fruitless.
(c) Drop a bomb.
(d) Shoot them with machine guns.
3. Upon arriving at the Trigg farm, what does Nat notice about the sheep?
(a) They have broken through. the fence to graze
(b) The birds have slaughtered them.
(c) They are thin and emaciated.
(d) They cower, terrified, in their pen.
4. If the family lasts through the next attack, what does Nat plan to add to the windows to reinforce his barricade?
(a) Corrugated metal.
(c) Broken glass.
(d) Barbed wire.
5. According to the announcer, at what time was a national emergency declared?
(a) 10 o’clock.
(b) 4 o’clock.
(c) 8 o’clock.
(d) 6 o’clock.
6. When Nat exits the house to collect supplies, what does he notice about the land birds?
(a) Their feathers have a red sheen, likely from their victims’ blood.
(b) They simply stare at him, apathetic to attack.
(c) They don’t communicate with each other.
(d) Their eyes have turned black, as if they’re evil.
7. What does Nat do with the bird bodies he finds in his yard?
(a) He stores them for fire kindling.
(b) He leaves them to rot.
(c) He takes them to the beach for burial.
(d) He stacks them on the windowsills to enforce the barricades.
8. What does Nat worry about when he turns the wireless off?
(a) What happened to the news announcer.
(b) Whether he has frightened the children.
(c) How he will hear the news.
(d) Saving the radio battery.
9. Which character thinks an army attack against the birds would be a “waste of life”?
(a) Mr. Trigg.
(b) Mrs. Trigg.
(c) Nat Hocken.
(d) Mrs. Hocken.
10. While driving home from the farm, whose body does Mrs. Hocken spot, and request Nat drive carefully around?
(a) The news announcer.
(b) The postman.
(c) The bus driver.
(d) The milkman.
11. After the second attack, what does Nat realize is controlling the birds’ behavior?
(a) The wind.
(b) The tide.
(c) The moon.
(d) The sun.
12. In the face of impending attacks, what does the announcer ask the population to do?
(a) Remain calm.
(b) Fight like hell.
(c) Embrace their loved ones.
13. After the frightening broadcast, what meal does Nat make to cheer his children?
(a) Spaghetti and meatballs.
(b) Beans on toast.
(c) Grilled hot dogs.
(d) Toasted cheese.
14. What has the farmhand died next to?
(a) The telephone.
(b) His gun.
(c) The radio.
(d) A fishing net.
15. What detail about the Trigg farm initially fills Nat with misgiving?
(a) The eerie silence on the farm
(b) The lack of smoke coming from the chimney
(c) The bloody animals in their pens
(d) The broken windows
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the farmhand killed on the Trigg farm?
2. Where does Nat find the farmhand’s body?
3. During the third attack, what room does Nat realize the birds have broken into?
4. What reason does Nat give Jill as to why the birds won’t attack them on their way to the farm?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the crucial supplies Nat seeks to collect?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)