|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While waiting at the bus stop, how does Nat know the birds are headed inland?
(a) By the wind.
(b) By their size.
(c) By their cries.
(d) By their speed.
2. What type of birds were involved in the previous night’s attack?
(a) Small birds, like wrens.
(b) Hunting birds, like hawks.
(c) Large birds, like seagulls.
(d) Medium birds, like robins.
3. Apart from food, water, and wood what supply does Nat realize his family is low on?
4. Which character says, “Come on now … let’s see how fast you can run”?
(c) Mr. Trigg.
(d) The operator.
5. Why doesn’t Mrs. Hocken immediately open the door for Nat when he runs home?
(a) The door is jammed.
(b) The newscaster told her not to open it.
(c) She doesn’t hear him knocking.
(d) She's too afraid.
6. Why can’t Nat bury the bird bodies in his back garden?
(a) There's not enough space.
(b) He's afraid of their evil spirits.
(c) The ground is too hard.
(d) His wife forbids it.
7. Where does Nat deposit the bird bodies collected from his home?
(a) In a dumpster.
(b) In the river,
(c) At the farm.
(d) On the beach.
8. How long does Nat wait at the bus stop before Jill’s bus arrives?
(a) 45 minutes.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 60 minutes.
9. At three o’clock, Nat sees that the sky is “colorless.” What does he compare it to?
10. According to the news, which of these is NOT a way the attacks affected London?
(a) Traffic came to a standstill.
(b) People began fleeing the city.
(c) Crowds of people gathered on the streets.
(d) Work was abandoned.
11. What does Mr. Trigg offer Nat for protection against the birds?
(a) A gun.
(b) Pepper spray.
(c) A machete.
(d) A net.
12. Why doesn’t Nat ride along with Jill?
(a) He still has to pick up Johnny.
(b) There isn’t enough room.
(c) He wants to make another phone call.
(d) There isn’t enough time for him to climb into the car.
13. Throughout the story, whom does Nat often order to “do what I tell you”?
(a) His wife.
(b) His neighbors.
(c) His boss.
(d) His children.
14. After the first attack, what color is used to describe the morning sky?
15. How did the birds get into the children’s bedroom?
(a) Through a hole in the roof. shingles
(b) Through the chimney.
(c) Through the wooden floor.boards
(d) Through an open window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the bird draw blood from Nat during the first attack?
2. Who suggests that the army should shoot the birds out of the sky?
3. What wind does Nat claim brought the birds to his neighborhood?
4. According to the narrator, what “changed overnight” at the story’s opening?
5. During the attacks, where does Nat decide his family should sleep?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)