|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the first attack, what part of the children’s body does Nat realize the birds were trying to attack?
(a) Their throats.
(b) Their legs.
(c) Their eyes.
(d) Their chests.
2. According to the news, which of these is NOT a way the attacks affected London?
(a) Traffic came to a standstill.
(b) People began fleeing the city.
(c) Crowds of people gathered on the streets.
(d) Work was abandoned.
3. How many birds does Nat kill during the attack in the children’s bedroom?
4. Who does Mr. Trigg think has poisoned the birds?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The French.
(d) The Chinese.
5. After the first attack, what color is used to describe the morning sky?
6. Why can’t Nat bury the bird bodies in his back garden?
(a) His wife forbids it.
(b) The ground is too hard.
(c) He's afraid of their evil spirits.
(d) There's not enough space.
7. In the story’s opening paragraph, what does the reader learn about Nat Hocken?
(a) He is an ornithologist.
(b) He is a war veteran.
(c) He is an only child.
(d) He is the father of three children.
8. What lighthearted offer does Mr. Trigg make to Nat for the next morning?
(a) A shooting lesson.
(b) A bird hat.
(c) A feather jacket.
(d) A gull breakfast.
9. What haunting sound does Nat hear when the birds start to attack on his way home from the bus stop?
(a) The smash of automobiles crashing.
(b) The birds’ screeching cry.
(c) The screams of his neighbors.
(d) The beating of wings.
10. What type of birds were involved in the previous night’s attack?
(a) Large birds, like seagulls.
(b) Medium birds, like robins.
(c) Hunting birds, like hawks.
(d) Small birds, like wrens.
11. What country does Mrs. Trigg think the violent birds have come from?
12. What is Mrs. Trigg’s reaction to Nat’s story about the previous night’s attack?
(a) She is amused.
(b) She is skeptical.
(c) She is horrified.
(d) She is confused.
13. Who offers to drive Jill home from the bus stop?
(a) The policeman.
(b) The bus driver.
(c) Mr. Trigg.
(d) A passerby.
14. What wind does Nat claim brought the birds to his neighborhood?
(a) The west wind.
(b) The east wind.
(c) The north wind.
(d) The south wind.
15. How many days does Nat work on the farm?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nat deposit the bird bodies collected from his home?
2. What does Nat find most annoying about the radio news broadcaster?
3. What does Nat take with him from the shed when he picks Jill up from the bus stop?
4. When does Nat most frequently pass time watching the birds?
5. What does Nat use as a weapon to beat the birds out of the children’s bedroom?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)