1. During which month does the story open?
2. According to the narrator, what “changed overnight” at the story’s opening?
3. In the story’s opening paragraph, what does the reader learn about Nat Hocken?
4. How many days does Nat work on the farm?
5. What type of land does Nat live on?
6. When does Nat most frequently pass time watching the birds?
7. At the story’s opening, how does Nat describe the birds’ strange behavior?
This section contains 3,098 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)