|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ice breaking up on the lake means that the family ___________________.
2. What does Nokomis encourage Omakayas to do?
3. Which of Omakayas' family members dies in her arms?
4. Which of the following does NOT represent the connection between One Horn and the family?
5. For whom does Omakayas make winter moccasins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Omakayas' preparation and attempts at her spiritual quest?
2. What happens to the white voyageur who interrupts the community dance?
3. Which two characters die as a result of the smallpox outbreak?
4. What is Nokomis' advice to Omakayas regarding the bears?
5. What is Omakayas' experience with the bear cubs when she is off on her own?
6. What preparations do Mama and Nokomis make for the family's food to get them through the winter?
7. How are things looking up for the family as winter ends?
8. Explain how Deydey acts on a dream that Nokomis has about One Horn.
9. How does the author explore the themes of the relationship between humans and nature and Omakayas' journey of transformation?
10. How does Omakayas justify Andeg's leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the author's use of the four seasons in the book in order to tell the story? How do the seasons parallel Omakayas' life and maturing process? Was this a clever tactic to use in styling the book?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of responsibility. Identify at least two instances about responsibility in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)