|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nokomis say speaks to her?
2. Which of the following does NOT represent the connection between One Horn and the family?
3. The ice breaking up on the lake means that the family ___________________.
4. One day Nokomis tells Omakayas and the other women a story of an encounter with the spirit of __________________.
5. Omakayas and _________________ are the only ones in the home who do not get ill.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the event that saved the family's bodies and the one that saved their souls according to Omakayas?
2. What does the mention of the cold weather being sudden and particularly harsh foreshadow?
3. How does Ten Snow help Omakayas get started in beadwork and what does Omakayas make?
4. How does the author explore the relationship between whites and natives in this section?
5. Why is Nokomis' story of a little muskrat especially pertinent for Omakayas?
6. How does Omakayas justify Andeg's leaving?
7. What is Omakayas' experience with the bear cubs when she is off on her own?
8. What is Nokomis' advice to Omakayas regarding the bears?
9. What story does Nokomis tell Omakayas and the women which frightens Omakayas but moves the other women?
10. What does Omakayas witness as she comes to after being knocked unconscious by Tallow's dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Nokomis. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
THE BIRCHBARK HOUSE is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Old Tallow. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)