|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color beads does Ten Snow use on the item for her husband?
2. Nokomis tells the story of how the world was created with the help of a small _______________.
3. What does Andeg bring to Omakayas?
4. How does the family react to the person in #140 when the fire is put out?
5. How much food does Old Tallow eat at supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nokomis' story of a little muskrat especially pertinent for Omakayas?
2. How does Omakayas justify Andeg's leaving?
3. What does Omakayas witness as she comes to after being knocked unconscious by Tallow's dog?
4. What preparations do Mama and Nokomis make for the family's food to get them through the winter?
5. What story does Nokomis tell Omakayas and the women which frightens Omakayas but moves the other women?
6. How are things looking up for the family as winter ends?
7. How does Omakayas help pinch when he burns himself with boiling syrup?
8. What is the event that saved the family's bodies and the one that saved their souls according to Omakayas?
9. Why does Omakayas go off on her own while the family is tapping the maple trees?
10. How does the author explore the themes of the relationship between humans and nature and Omakayas' journey of transformation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Omakayas. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Old Tallow. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)