|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Old Tallow brought home from a hunting trip?
2. How does the person in #140 put out the fire on his pants?
3. Who offers to teach Omakayas everything she will need to know?
4. Omakayas rises from her depression when _______________ visits.
5. Nokomis tells the story of how the world was created with the help of a small _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What preparations do Mama and Nokomis make for the family's food to get them through the winter?
2. How does Omakayas help pinch when he burns himself with boiling syrup?
3. What does the mention of the cold weather being sudden and particularly harsh foreshadow?
4. What does Deydey do with the shop owner to earn a bit of money and some food for the family?
5. What happens to Omakayas after the smallpox deaths, and who is the one who is able to help her?
6. What is the event that saved the family's bodies and the one that saved their souls according to Omakayas?
7. Explain how Deydey acts on a dream that Nokomis has about One Horn.
8. Why does Omakayas go off on her own while the family is tapping the maple trees?
9. What happens to the white voyageur who interrupts the community dance?
10. How does the author explore the relationship between whites and natives in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the author's use of the four seasons in the book in order to tell the story? How do the seasons parallel Omakayas' life and maturing process? Was this a clever tactic to use in styling the book?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Old Tallow. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)