|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the voyageurs think of how his wife is afraid of nothing?
2. Who is Nokomis?
3. Who is Omakayas' younger brother?
4. What gift does Deydey give to Omakayas?
5. Who does the person in #81 blame for eating the berries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the themes in THE BIRCHBARK HOUSE?
2. What does the dizzy spell signify for Omakayas?
3. What is the metaphor of smallpox throughout the story?
4. Why is Omakayas' relationship with Tallow such an important one?
5. Who does the group of voyageurs discover on a small island?
6. Describe Omakayas' encounter with the two bear cubs and their mother.
7. What do the voyageurs do with the baby and what thoughts of guilt does Hat have?
8. What are some of the things that the family does to prepare for winter?
9. Who are Albert La Pautre and Fishtail, and what important topic do they discuss with Deydey?
10. What are Omakayas' conflicted feelings about Angeline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Deydey. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of responsibility. Identify at least two instances about responsibility in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the close connection between the Ojibwa family and the nature surrounding it. Why were elements of nature particularly important for the Ojibwa family? How does the author show the strong connection between the Ojibwa family and nature? Provide two examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)