|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease have the white people brought to Indian communities?
2. What is Neebin?
3. Where do dead spirits go?
4. Which of the following does Omakayas NOT think about Angeline?
5. Where had Omakayas put the injured crow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the other members of Omakayas' family in addition to Nokomis?
2. What are some of the themes in THE BIRCHBARK HOUSE?
3. Describe Omakayas' encounter with the two bear cubs and their mother.
4. How do Mama and Nokomis differ in their views of sending Omakayas on a spiritual quest?
5. What does Nokomis do to the tree prior to cutting the bark?
6. What does the dizzy spell signify for Omakayas?
7. What does Omakayas do with a wounded crow?
8. Who is Andeg, and what is his part in the family?
9. What are Omakayas' conflicted feelings about Angeline?
10. Why is Omakayas' relationship with Tallow such an important one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Omakayas. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Omakayas learns in the book? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Omakayas always recall about her grandmother's stories? What impact did Old Tallow have on Omakayas' life? What would Omakayas consider to be her best decision?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the close connection between the Ojibwa family and the nature surrounding it. Why were elements of nature particularly important for the Ojibwa family? How does the author show the strong connection between the Ojibwa family and nature? Provide two examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)