|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Omakayas want to do with the bear cubs?
2. Who is Omakayas' older sister?
3. The men watch as the baby girl curls up to a __________________.
4. What name is given to the injured crow?
5. What does the mother bear do to Omakayas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Omakayas' relationship with Tallow such an important one?
2. What is the major concern of the voyageurs when they see the child?
3. Who is Andeg, and what is his part in the family?
4. Who is One Horn and when do Omakayas and Angeline encounter him?
5. What startles Mama regarding the bears when she goes looking for Omakayas?
6. What does Nokomis do to the tree prior to cutting the bark?
7. What does Omakayas do with a wounded crow?
8. How does Tallow represent an important theme in the book?
9. How is Omakayas able to comfort Neewo when he is upset and in her care?
10. Why does Omakayas suggest that Angeline go to the river instead of working on the moose hide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Deydey. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of responsibility. Identify at least two instances about responsibility in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)