|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Neebin?
2. What does Mama throw at Andeg when she is angry about the berries?
3. What does the man in #76 own and care for?
4. What job does Deydey assign to Omakayas and Angeline?
5. What are makasins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Omakayas feel about her father's gift, and how does she act about it?
2. What does Omakayas do with a wounded crow?
3. Describe what happens when Pinch eats too many berries and then blames it on Andeg.
4. What is significant about Omakayas' encounter with the bears?
5. What is the major concern of the voyageurs when they see the child?
6. What startles Mama regarding the bears when she goes looking for Omakayas?
7. What are some of the themes in THE BIRCHBARK HOUSE?
8. What does Nokomis do to the tree prior to cutting the bark?
9. Who does the group of voyageurs discover on a small island?
10. Who are Omakayas and Nokomis and what are they doing as Chapter 1 begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louise Erdrich is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe each, identifying the technique used.
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)