|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frightens Mama when she sets out in search of Omakayas?
(a) She sees Omakayas speaking to bears.
(b) She sees a wolf running toward Omakayas.
(c) She sees white men talking to Omakayas.
(d) She sees Omakayas hiding in a tree.
2. Why does Omakayas not like her gift?
(a) She doesn't like to scrape hides.
(b) She doesn't like the color of the beads.
(c) She is afraid of such a big knife.
(d) She has too many feathers.
3. An important theme in this section is ____________________.
(c) Coming of age.
4. The singing of the birds foreshadows ____________________.
(a) Omakayas' death.
(b) Omakayas' parents' death.
(c) Omakayas' grief.
(d) Omakayas' emerging spirit.
5. Which of the following does Omakayas NOT think about Angeline?
(a) How much she enjoys playing with her.
(b) That she is angry that Angeline laughed at her.
(c) How much she longs for Angeline's respect.
(d) That she will be married soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Omakayas' younger brother?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the person in #10?
3. What does Andeg say about Mama after she has been angry at him?
4. What does the man in #76 own and care for?
5. What is Neebin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tallow represent an important theme in the book?
2. What is significant about Omakayas' encounter with the bears?
3. What are Omakayas' conflicted feelings about Angeline?
4. Describe Omakayas' encounter with the two bear cubs and their mother.
5. Give some examples of Andeg being able to use speech to communicate.
6. What are some of the themes in THE BIRCHBARK HOUSE?
7. How is life different for the family when Deydey is home?
8. Who are Omakayas and Nokomis and what are they doing as Chapter 1 begins?
9. What does Omakayas do with a wounded crow?
10. Why does Omakayas suggest that Angeline go to the river instead of working on the moose hide?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)