|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is left alone to watch over an abundant harvest of berries?
2. What scares the voyageurs in the village?
(a) That a tornado is headed their way.
(b) That they have caught the disease.
(c) That the Cherokees will return and kill them too.
(d) That they have walked into a trap.
3. What does Omakayas do when Neewo cries hysterically?
(a) Gives him a bottle.
(b) Shakes his rattle for him.
(c) Lets him out of his cradle board.
(d) Takes him for a walk.
4. Where had Omakayas put the injured crow?
(a) The cradle board.
(b) Deydey's moccassin.
(c) The maize grinding bowl.
(d) A drinking gourd.
5. Where does Mama want to send Omakayas?
(a) On a spiritual quest.
(b) The berry patch.
(c) The meadow.
(d) The creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Omakayas awaken with excitement one night?
2. What kind of birds eat the corn crop?
3. Deydey and his friends talk about how _________________ seem to be taking over.
4. How does Andeg say he has helped the family prepare the cabin for the winter?
5. Who is the baby in Omakayas' family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the voyageurs do with the baby and what thoughts of guilt does Hat have?
2. Who are Omakayas and Nokomis and what are they doing as Chapter 1 begins?
3. What does Nokomis do to the tree prior to cutting the bark?
4. What is the premise of THE BIRCHBARK HOUSE?
5. Who is One Horn and when do Omakayas and Angeline encounter him?
6. Who does the group of voyageurs discover on a small island?
7. What do the birds foreshadow in the book?
8. How does Tallow represent an important theme in the book?
9. How is Omakayas able to comfort Neewo when he is upset and in her care?
10. Describe Omakayas' encounter with the two bear cubs and their mother.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)