|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The family is __________________ when Deydey is home.
(b) More serious.
(c) More playful.
(d) More spontaneous.
2. What does the name Andeg mean?
3. The young girl in the story is from which Native American tribe?
4. What does Omakayas do when the bear pins her down?
(a) Thrashes around.
(d) Lies perfectly still.
5. Which of the following does the family NOT do in preparation for Winter?
(a) Store food.
(b) Make clothing.
(c) Plant corn.
(d) Scrape hides.
6. What noise do the voyageurs hear as they get into their canoes to leave the island?
(c) Birds singing.
7. Who is Omakayas' younger brother?
8. What does Omakayas throw at the animals on her way home?
(d) Mud pies.
9. What does Omakayas experience before the arrival of a special insight?
10. What does the mother bear do to Omakayas?
(a) Chases her up a tree.
(b) Claws at her.
(c) Ignores her.
(d) Pins her to the ground.
11. Where do dead spirits go?
12. Where had Omakayas put the injured crow?
(a) Deydey's moccassin.
(b) The cradle board.
(c) The maize grinding bowl.
(d) A drinking gourd.
13. How is Tallow different from her husband?
(a) She is resourceful.
(b) She is educated.
(c) She is spiritual.
(d) She is fearless.
14. How does Andeg say he has helped the family prepare the cabin for the winter?
(a) He scared away the foxes.
(b) He chased the birds away from the corn.
(c) He chased away all the mice.
(d) He warned Deyday when the fireplace didn't work.
15. What important theme emerges in this chapter?
(a) Man vs. nature.
(b) The importance of confronting fear.
(c) The search for love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nokomis?
2. With what job does Omakayas think her mother will want her to help?
3. What does Andeg say about Mama after she has been angry at him?
4. The book explores the connection between human beings and _______________.
5. What does Andeg tell Pinch to stop doing?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)