|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Omakayas and Angeline bring crows for dinner, Deydey calls them ________________.
2. What does Omakayas do when the bear pins her down?
(a) Thrashes around.
(b) Lies perfectly still.
3. What does Andeg tell Pinch to stop doing?
(a) Sprinkling him with water.
(b) Making him eat wild rice.
(c) Trying to pull feathers from his tail.
(d) Putting him in a cage.
4. Which of the following does Omakayas NOT think about Angeline?
(a) That she will be married soon.
(b) How much she longs for Angeline's respect.
(c) How much she enjoys playing with her.
(d) That she is angry that Angeline laughed at her.
5. Who is Omakayas?
(a) A Native American god.
(b) The baby girl.
(c) A medicine man.
(d) The tribal chief.
6. What does Omakayas become convinced about regarding the bear?
(a) The bear is probably dead by now.
(b) The bear will come after her.
(c) The bear will never bother her again.
(d) They somehow managed to communicate.
7. What frightens Omakayas on her way home?
(a) Bear cubs.
(b) A snake.
(c) A trapper.
8. What are makasins?
(a) Corn cakes.
9. What does Omakayas want to do with the bear cubs?
(a) Take them home with her.
(b) Take them to a zoo.
(c) Play with them.
(d) Take them to an animal shelter.
10. What is the translation of Omakayas' name?
(b) Blue Sky.
(c) Summer Breeze.
(d) Little Frog.
11. What treat does Omakayas give to Neewo?
(a) Sugared snow.
(b) Maple candy.
(d) Ice cream.
12. Another important theme in the book is ______________________.
(a) The futility of trying to avoid death.
(b) The damage that greed does to people.
(c) The significance of religion in people's lives.
(d) The relationship between human beings and the natural world.
13. What does the mother bear do to Omakayas?
(a) Chases her up a tree.
(b) Claws at her.
(c) Ignores her.
(d) Pins her to the ground.
14. The men watch as the baby girl curls up to a __________________.
(d) Dead body.
15. Why does Omakayas awaken with excitement one night?
(a) It is Christmas Eve.
(b) Her father is home.
(c) Old Tallow has come for a visit.
(d) She starts school tomorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book explores the effect of white people on ___________________.
2. Who is the wife of the man in #17?
3. What frightens Mama when she sets out in search of Omakayas?
4. The young girl in the story is from which Native American tribe?
5. Where do dead spirits go?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)