Part 1, The Girl from Spirit Island
• A group of voyageurs (canoeing fur traders) discovers that the only person left alive in a native village following a smallpox attack is baby girl.
• Although the baby is crying, she appears to be well fed, well dressed and cared for.
• Worried that they have contracted the disease, the voyageurs leave the baby and leave in their canoes.
• One of the voyageurs named Hat, thinks of his wife Tallow, who is afraid of nothing, unlike him.
Part 2, Neebin (Summer), Chapters 1 and 2
• Eight-year-old Omakayas explores a quiet swamp when she is called by her grandmother, Nokomis, who needs help with peeling birchbark to construct a summer house.
• Nokomis asks forgiveness from the spirit of the tree, makes a few cuts and peels the bark in long sheets.
• Omakayas' family includes her Mama, her father called Deydey, her older sister named Angeline, a younger...
This section contains 2,083 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)