|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Old Gentleman's servant thinks Jiya is _________________ to turn down the Old Gentleman's offer.
2. Why does Jiya never speak of his loneliness since the big wave?
3. What does the Old Gentleman demand of his offer to adopt Jiya?
4. The Old Gentleman is transcribing a poem written by a man from which country?
5. Kino does not feel like _______________ without Jiya.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kino's father not surprised that Jiya is interested in Setsu?
2. What is the reason that the Old Gentleman comes up the mountain to see Jiya?
3. Kino's father says that Jiya will be happy again only when he is able to do what?
4. What requirement does Kino's father make of Jiya before he makes his decision about living with the Old Gentleman and what is Kino charged with doing regarding Jiya's decision?
5. How does Kino spend his time during the days when Jiya is healing?
6. What does Jiya tell the Old Gentleman about why the villagers are brave?
7. Where will Jiya build his house and what does he need in order to get started?
8. How does Jiya prepare his house so that he and Setsu can live there and not be afraid of another big wave coming?
9. What is Kino's father's position on why Japanese people don't fear death?
10. Why is the Old Gentleman frustrated with the young men building the house on the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pearl Buck is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the story. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Grief takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)