|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Old Gentleman come up the hill?
2. What item of Kino's does Setsu hide on her wedding day?
3. Even though there has never been another wave like the big wave, the people ________________________.
4. As time passes, Setsu has grown into a pretty, _______________ girl.
5. Where do the surviving fishermen fish now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kino's father's position on why Japanese people don't fear death?
2. Why is the Old Gentleman frustrated with the young men building the house on the beach?
3. What explanation do the two men give when Kino asks what they will do if the big wave comes back?
4. Describe how Jiya feels happiness when he returns to be part of Kino's family.
5. How does Jiya introduce the fact to Kino that he loves Setsu?
6. What is it about the geography of where he lives that makes Kino think he and his family are unfortunate?
7. How do people in the village measure time now?
8. Kino's father says that Jiya will be happy again only when he is able to do what?
9. What is the reason that the Old Gentleman comes up the mountain to see Jiya?
10. Why is Kino's father open to the offer that the Old Gentleman makes regarding Jiya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Jiya. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in the story What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? What constitutes a family? Does Jiya make the right family choice for himself? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE BIG WAVE? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)