|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to his family members, what did the big wave take away from Jiya?
2. How has Kino been in his life?
3. Why does Jiya tell the Old Gentleman that his castle is not safe either?
4. What does Kino think when he sees the beauty of the Old Gentleman's castle and gardens?
5. What does the Old Gentleman tell the men building the house before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Jiya conducted himself in the years since the deaths of his family members?
2. How does Kino show his selflessness regarding Jiya's decision and why does Jiya refuse to stay at the Old Gentleman's castle?
3. What is it about the geography of where he lives that makes Kino think he and his family are unfortunate?
4. What is Jiya's rationale for why the Old Gentleman's castle is no safer than a house on the beach?
5. How does Jiya prepare his house so that he and Setsu can live there and not be afraid of another big wave coming?
6. Describe how Jiya spends the first days after the deaths of his family members.
7. How does Jiya introduce the fact to Kino that he loves Setsu?
8. Why is the Old Gentleman frustrated with the young men building the house on the beach?
9. Kino's father says that Jiya will be happy again only when he is able to do what?
10. Describe how Jiya feels happiness when he returns to be part of Kino's family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the book THE BIG WAVE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of man vs. nature. Identify at least two situation which embody the man vs.nature theme.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of the Old Gentleman. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)