|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the men building a house on the beach?
(a) Someone is paying them to do it.
(b) They are tired of not having their own home.
(c) They need more room for relatives.
(d) They think it is a good location.
2. The Old Gentleman tells Jiya that it is a shame that Jiya did not become his son because ______________________.
(a) He could have traveled the world.
(b) He could live in the castle and be safe.
(c) He could be wealthy now.
(d) He would be better educated now.
3. Jiya looks at the empty beach every morning as if _____________________.
(b) Hating the world.
(d) Searching for something.
4. What makes Kino happy about climbing the hill?
(a) He likes to catch fireflies there.
(b) He can see the new fishing village.
(c) He can watch the sunset.
(d) He sees that the volcano is no longer active.
5. What do the men say when Kino asks them if they are worried about the big wave coming back?
(a) They will build the house very strong.
(b) The big wave may never come back.
(c) They will put in weather satellites.
(d) They will not live there in the season of big waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kino feel after Jiya and Setsu move to the beach?
2. What does Kino do while Jiya learns about the Old Gentleman's offer?
3. Kino's father says that their people do not fear death because ________________________.
4. The Old Gentleman says it is a pity that ______________ would not be his son.
5. What reason does the Old Gentleman give to Jiya for why he selected Jiya to be his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kino's father respond to Kino when he states that the Japanese people are unlucky to live in the middle of so much danger?
2. What is Kino's father's position on why Japanese people don't fear death?
3. Why is Kino's father open to the offer that the Old Gentleman makes regarding Jiya?
4. What is Jiya's rationale for why the Old Gentleman's castle is no safer than a house on the beach?
5. Where will Jiya build his house and what does he need in order to get started?
6. Kino's father says that Jiya will be happy again only when he is able to do what?
7. How has Jiya conducted himself in the years since the deaths of his family members?
8. What explanation do the two men give when Kino asks what they will do if the big wave comes back?
9. What reason do two men give to Kino and Jiya for building a house on the beach?
10. How does Kino spend his time during the days when Jiya is healing?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)