|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jiya feel seeing the men build the house on the beach?
2. What item of Kino's does Setsu hide on her wedding day?
3. What is Jiya's demeanor since seeing the men building the house on the beach?
4. What does Kino's father tell Kino when he and Jiya set off to see the Old Gentleman's castle?
(a) He should tell Jiya to stay with Kino's family.
(b) They must be home before dark.
(c) He must be on his best behavior.
(d) He must persuade Jiya to stay for his own sake.
5. Kino's father says that living in the midst of danger _______________________.
(a) Keeps them alert.
(b) Causes stress.
(c) Helps them know how good life is.
(d) Causes many psychological problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jiya refuse to become the Old Gentleman's son?
2. According to Kino's father, death is the great____________________.
3. What makes Kino happy about climbing the hill?
4. In what season do Jiya and Setsu marry?
5. How is time measured for people in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kino's father says that Jiya will be happy again only when he is able to do what?
2. What explanation do the two men give when Kino asks what they will do if the big wave comes back?
3. Why does Kino think that it would be impossible for Jiya to turn down the Old Gentleman's offer?
4. What reason do two men give to Kino and Jiya for building a house on the beach?
5. Why is Kino's father not surprised that Jiya is interested in Setsu?
6. Describe how Jiya spends the first days after the deaths of his family members.
7. How does Jiya introduce the fact to Kino that he loves Setsu?
8. How does Kino's father respond to Kino when he states that the Japanese people are unlucky to live in the middle of so much danger?
9. Why is the Old Gentleman frustrated with the young men building the house on the beach?
10. What is Jiya's rationale for why the Old Gentleman's castle is no safer than a house on the beach?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)