|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Kino tell about Jiya when he sees him after Jiya learns about the Old Gentleman's offer?
(a) He has been crying.
(b) He looks happy.
(c) He looks ill.
(d) He seems relieved.
2. What does Kino's father tell Kino when he and Jiya set off to see the Old Gentleman's castle?
(a) He must be on his best behavior.
(b) He must persuade Jiya to stay for his own sake.
(c) They must be home before dark.
(d) He should tell Jiya to stay with Kino's family.
3. What does Kino's father demand that Jiya do before making his decision about the Old Gentleman's offer?
(a) Talk to some of the Old Gentleman's adopted children.
(b) See the inside of the Old Gentleman's castle.
(c) Pray about the decision.
(d) Live at the Old Gentleman's castle for a trial period.
4. Why is there a commotion on the hillside as the young men talk about building the house on the beach?
(a) The villagers speculate about the house.
(b) A house has caught on fire.
(c) Reporters have come to do a story about the new house.
(d) The Old Gentleman approaches.
5. What does Kino do while Jiya learns about the Old Gentleman's offer?
(a) Reads a book.
(b) Takes a nap.
(c) Works in the field.
(d) Peeks in the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is time measured for people in the village?
2. What is Jiya's demeanor since seeing the men building the house on the beach?
3. Why does Kino say that they are unfortunate to live in Japan?
4. What would Jiya be allowed to do if he would become the Old Gentleman's son?
5. Kino's father says that only when Jiya _____________________ will he be happy again.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jiya tell the Old Gentleman about why the villagers are brave?
2. Why is the Old Gentleman frustrated with the young men building the house on the beach?
3. Kino's father says that Jiya will be happy again only when he is able to do what?
4. Why is Kino's father open to the offer that the Old Gentleman makes regarding Jiya?
5. How does Kino show his selflessness regarding Jiya's decision and why does Jiya refuse to stay at the Old Gentleman's castle?
6. What reason do two men give to Kino and Jiya for building a house on the beach?
7. How does Jiya feel initially when he sees the new house being built on the beach?
8. What is it about the geography of where he lives that makes Kino think he and his family are unfortunate?
9. What is Jiya's rationale for why the Old Gentleman's castle is no safer than a house on the beach?
10. Why is Kino's father not surprised that Jiya is interested in Setsu?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)