|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jiya claims he will build his house once he has ___________________.
(b) A wife.
(c) A boat.
(d) Fishing nets.
2. What does the Old Gentleman demand of his offer to adopt Jiya?
(a) He receives an answer in a week.
(b) He will have a contract drawn up.
(c) Jiya gives him his answer personally.
(d) He gets Jiya's response tomorrow.
3. Living in the midst of danger makes people _____________________.
(a) Angry and resentful.
(b) Brave and strong.
(c) Nervous and skittish.
(d) Loving and kind.
4. Jiya says that the people on the island are brave because _____________________.
(a) Their elders require it.
(b) They must be.
(c) It is honorable.
(d) Their sons look up to them.
5. Kino's father thought that Jiya would be a __________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kino feel after Jiya and Setsu move to the beach?
2. Kino's father is not surprised about Jiya's choice for a bride because _____________________.
3. Kino's father assures Kino that life is stronger than __________________.
4. Which of the following is NOT a reason that Kino opposes Jiya's choice for a wife?
5. What do the men say when Kino asks them if they are worried about the big wave coming back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jiya so restless after seeing the men building the house on the beach and what does Kino's family know about what Jiya will do?
2. What does Jiya tell the Old Gentleman about why the villagers are brave?
3. Where will Jiya build his house and what does he need in order to get started?
4. How does Kino spend his time during the days when Jiya is healing?
5. What is Jiya's rationale for why the Old Gentleman's castle is no safer than a house on the beach?
6. How has Jiya conducted himself in the years since the deaths of his family members?
7. What explanation do the two men give when Kino asks what they will do if the big wave comes back?
8. Kino's father says that Jiya will be happy again only when he is able to do what?
9. How does Jiya feel initially when he sees the new house being built on the beach?
10. What requirement does Kino's father make of Jiya before he makes his decision about living with the Old Gentleman and what is Kino charged with doing regarding Jiya's decision?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)