|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will many villagers stay at home during the emergency?
(a) To protect their homes.
(b) To report on the storm.
(c) To stay with the children.
(d) To protect their boats.
2. What is the best thing about an evil storm?
(a) They bring people together.
(b) The garden gets lots of water.
(c) The air seems cleaner afterwards.
(d) How wonderful life is once they are gone.
3. What is notable about the houses nearest the sea in the fishing village?
(a) They are painted red.
(b) They have brick facades.
(c) They have no front door.
(d) There are no windows facing the sea.
4. Jiya's family members will live as long as ______________________.
(a) Jiya is alive.
(b) People still talk about them.
(c) The story of the big wave is read.
(d) The memorial stands.
5. What is Kino's father's advice about evil storms?
(a) You must live through them bravely.
(b) You should not go out in a boat.
(c) You should not be a fisherman.
(d) You should not live near the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color flag does the Old Gentleman raise as an alert for the villagers?
2. Why does a bell toll from the Old Gentleman's castle?
3. Kino's family will allow Jiya to be _________________.
4. Who is the prettiest girl Jiya has ever seen?
5. What will become of the orphaned Jiya after the big wave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What experience does Kino have with diving that lets him know why Jiya feels the way he does about the sea?
2. How does Kino's father divert Kino's thoughts from the destruction of the big wave?
3. What does Kino's father say about how Jiya will recover one day and how he will carry his deceased family members with him?
4. How does Kino understand that Jiya's father is even afraid of the sea?
5. What does Jiya do when he sees the devastation of the big wave?
6. What is Kino's experience when the volcano starts to become active?
7. Why does Kino's father say they must wait for Jiya?
8. What does Setsu's excitement about Jiya's becoming a part of their family foreshadow?
9. What does Kino's father tell him about what the gods do to test men?
10. What had Kino's father told him about the necessity for Jiya to eat in order to heal?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)