|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The way of the good Japanese is to enjoy life and ________________________.
(a) Forgive other people.
(b) Not fear death.
(d) Help other people.
2. Kino's father sells rice and __________________ at the fishing village.
3. Which of the following does Kino NOT discover about the sea and why Jiya is afraid of it?
(a) It is dark.
(b) It is cold.
(c) It stings his skin.
(d) It is very still.
4. When does Jiya not want to be on the island?
(a) When it is getting dark.
(b) When it is very windy.
(c) When the ocean is angry.
(d) When a storm is coming.
5. What does Jiya do when he remembers that his family members have died?
(a) Throws himself on the floor.
(c) Looks toward where the village used to be.
(d) Runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does THE BIG WAVE take place?
2. What do Kino's parents tell Jiya when he awakens?
3. What is the theme of THE BIG WAVE?
4. What does Kino's father anticipate about Jiya's crying?
5. Kino's father says that ______________ makes a man weak.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jiya show that he is still in shock during the meal?
2. What does Kino's father say about Jiya's crying and what the family will do to let him mourn?
3. How does Jiya's awe of an angry sea foreshadow what the sea is ultimately capable of?
4. Why does Kino's father say they must wait for Jiya?
5. What does Kino's father tell him when Kino asks if they must always be afraid of something?
6. What does Kino's father say about how Jiya will recover one day and how he will carry his deceased family members with him?
7. Why does Kino sometimes wish his father were a fisherman and other days glad that his father is a farmer?
8. How does Kino's father divert Kino's thoughts from the destruction of the big wave?
9. What is at the base of the mountain and why does Kino's father go there?
10. How does Kino understand that Jiya's father is even afraid of the sea?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)