|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kino's father, who makes the evil storms?
(a) The god of wind.
(b) No one knows.
2. Where does Jiya think he is when he awakens?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) The orphanage.
(c) A hotel.
(d) His bedroom.
3. Where does Kino live?
(a) In a suburb.
(b) At an orphanage.
(c) On a farm.
(d) In a city.
4. With what task does Jiya sometimes help his father?
(c) Harvesting rice.
(d) Making nets.
5. Who is the prettiest girl Jiya has ever seen?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is situated at the top of the mountain?
2. Why is Jiya crying on his way to Kino's house?
3. How many times in his life has Kino's father seen the Old Gentleman's flag?
4. What does Jiya do when the family sits at the table to eat?
5. What does Jiya think when he awakens and sees Kino's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kino's father tell him when Kino asks if they must always be afraid of something?
2. What gift does Setsu offer to Jiya when he is distraught over the loss of his family?
3. How does Kino's father divert Kino's thoughts from the destruction of the big wave?
4. What does Kino's father tell him about what the gods do to test men?
5. How does Kino understand that Jiya's father is even afraid of the sea?
6. How does Jiya's awe of an angry sea foreshadow what the sea is ultimately capable of?
7. Why does Kino's father say they must wait for Jiya?
8. Why does Kino sometimes wish his father were a fisherman and other days glad that his father is a farmer?
9. What does Kino want to do with Jiya after they eat dinner?
10. How accurate was Kino's father in describing the stages that Jiya will go through in his healing?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)