|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jiya says that only the __________________ live on the island.
(a) Sacred deer.
(d) Old Gentleman's grandchildren.
2. Why does Kino sometimes think Jiya is luckier than he is?
(a) Jiya gets money to spend.
(b) Jiya doesn't have siblings.
(c) Jiya has a bicycle.
(d) Jiya's father is a fisherman.
3. Kino's father tells Kino that Jiya is not yet ready to _______________.
4. Kino's family will allow Jiya to be _________________.
5. What are Kino and his family doing at the beginning of Section 2?
(a) Flying kites.
(b) Waiting for Jiya to wake.
(c) Harvesting rice.
(d) Writing letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for Kino's concern for Jiya?
2. How many times in his life has Kino's father seen the Old Gentleman's flag?
3. Kino's father agrees with Jiya in that _____________ would be good for Jiya right now.
4. Who is Kino's sister?
5. Jiya seems to be too tired to _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Old Gentleman and where does he live?
2. Why does Kino's father tell Kino that it is good for Jiya to get more sleep?
3. What does Kino's father tell him that they will do for Jiya now that his family is gone?
4. What does Kino's father say about Jiya's crying and what the family will do to let him mourn?
5. What does Kino learn from his best friend, Jiya, about why the houses in the fishing village do not have windows facing the sea?
6. How does Jiya feel when his new family encourages him to sit at the table and eat with them?
7. What does Kino's father say about every day that comes after the storm?
8. How does Jiya show that he is still in shock during the meal?
9. What gift does Setsu offer to Jiya when he is distraught over the loss of his family?
10. Why does Kino sometimes wish his father were a fisherman and other days glad that his father is a farmer?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)