|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kino think there might be an earthquake coming?
(a) The sea is calm but gray.
(b) His bed is shaking a little.
(c) The animals are scattering.
(d) The birds are very noisy.
2. Kino's father says that Jiya will _______________________ when he wakes.
(a) Not have much of an appetite.
(b) Feel he can never be happy again.
(c) Be very hungry.
(d) Try to run away.
3. Jiya explains that ________________ knows why the sea gets angry.
(a) No one.
(b) Old Gentleman.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
4. Setsu's excitement at Jiya's living in their home foreshadows _____________________.
(a) Their future business partnership.
(b) Their future romantic relationship.
(c) His future career as an architect.
(d) Her future homemaking skills.
5. Who wants to spend the night on the island?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best thing about an evil storm?
2. What is more valuable now than it was before the storm?
3. As Jiya starts to feel better, he will cry only _______________________.
4. Kino's father explains that people are afraid of the sea because it is very big and _______________________.
5. What does Jiya think when he awakens and sees Kino's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kino's father divert Kino's thoughts from the destruction of the big wave?
2. How does Kino understand that Jiya's father is even afraid of the sea?
3. What does Kino's father tell him when Kino asks if they must always be afraid of something?
4. What does Kino's father say about every day that comes after the storm?
5. What does Kino's father tell him that they will do for Jiya now that his family is gone?
6. Why do Kino and his family surround Jiya as he begins to awaken?
7. Summarize the story in The Big Wave.
8. What does Setsu's excitement about Jiya's becoming a part of their family foreshadow?
9. Who is the Old Gentleman and where does he live?
10. What is Kino's experience when the volcano starts to become active?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)