|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Jiya be allowed to do if he would become the Old Gentleman's son?
(a) Give money to Kino's family.
(b) Become a farmer.
(c) Have his own house.
(d) Build fishing boats.
2. Why does Jiya never speak of his loneliness since the big wave?
(a) He doesn't like to re-live the past.
(b) He doesn't want anyone to be sad.
(c) He can't bear the pain.
(d) He thinks people must be bored with it.
3. Kino's father says that living in the midst of danger _______________________.
(a) Helps them know how good life is.
(b) Causes many psychological problems.
(c) Keeps them alert.
(d) Causes stress.
4. Why does the Old Gentleman come up the hill?
(a) To see Jiya.
(b) To buy vegetables.
(c) To bring fresh water.
(d) To get some exercise.
5. What does Kino do while Jiya is sleeping?
(a) Swims in the sea.
(b) Hikes all over the mountain.
(c) Rides his bicycle.
(d) Works in the fields with his father.
6. The Old Gentleman's servant thinks Jiya is _________________ to turn down the Old Gentleman's offer.
7. Where do the surviving fishermen fish now?
(a) They do not fish anymore.
(b) They rent big boats to go further out.
(c) They work at the docks in big cities.
(d) New shores.
8. According to Kino's father, death is the great____________________.
9. How does Kino feel after Jiya and Setsu move to the beach?
10. What does Kino do while Jiya learns about the Old Gentleman's offer?
(a) Peeks in the window.
(b) Works in the field.
(c) Reads a book.
(d) Takes a nap.
11. What does Kino's father give to Jiya now because he is a man?
12. How has Kino been in his life?
13. Kino does not feel like _______________ without Jiya.
14. How does Jiya feel seeing the men build the house on the beach?
15. What can the Old Gentleman see in Jiya's face?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kino's father tells Kino that Jiya is ready to ___________________.
2. How often do Kino and Jiya visit the deserted beach?
3. What item of Kino's does Setsu hide on her wedding day?
4. What can Kino tell about Jiya when he sees him after Jiya learns about the Old Gentleman's offer?
5. Kino's father is not surprised about Jiya's choice for a bride because _____________________.
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)