|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following elements is NOT included in Jiya's recovery?
(b) Sense of humor.
2. Why does the Old Gentleman come up the hill?
(a) To see Jiya.
(b) To bring fresh water.
(c) To buy vegetables.
(d) To get some exercise.
3. Jiya says that the people on the island are brave because _____________________.
(a) Their elders require it.
(b) It is honorable.
(c) They must be.
(d) Their sons look up to them.
4. What can Kino tell about Jiya when he sees him after Jiya learns about the Old Gentleman's offer?
(a) He looks happy.
(b) He has been crying.
(c) He seems relieved.
(d) He looks ill.
5. Kino's father says that Kino is only afraid of death because _________________________.
(a) He does not know anything about it.
(b) It will be painful.
(c) He will miss his family.
(d) He loves being on earth.
6. Why would Kino's father allow the Old Gentleman to adopt Jiya?
(a) Jiya is not adapting well to their home.
(b) The Old Gentleman can provide better for Jiya.
(c) Their house is not big enough to keep Jiya.
(d) It has become too expensive for Jiya to live with them.
7. Why does Jiya never speak of his loneliness since the big wave?
(a) He thinks people must be bored with it.
(b) He doesn't like to re-live the past.
(c) He doesn't want anyone to be sad.
(d) He can't bear the pain.
8. What would Jiya be allowed to do if he would become the Old Gentleman's son?
(a) Have his own house.
(b) Give money to Kino's family.
(c) Become a farmer.
(d) Build fishing boats.
9. What reason does the Old Gentleman give to Jiya for why he selected Jiya to be his son?
(a) Jiya is the best boy in the village.
(b) Jiya could teach him about fishing.
(c) Jiya gets good grades in school.
(d) Jiya is the best looking boy in the villag.e
10. How does Kino's family feel when Jiya returns to be part of their family?
11. Kino's father assures Kino that life is stronger than __________________.
12. Why are the men building a house on the beach?
(a) They need more room for relatives.
(b) Someone is paying them to do it.
(c) They are tired of not having their own home.
(d) They think it is a good location.
13. In what season do Jiya and Setsu marry?
14. What does Jiya call Kino to see at the beach one day?
(a) An octopus has washed up on shore.
(b) Two men are building a house.
(c) Girls are sunning and swimming.
(d) Another big wave is coming.
15. Kino's father says that living in the midst of danger _______________________.
(a) Helps them know how good life is.
(b) Causes stress.
(c) Keeps them alert.
(d) Causes many psychological problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jiya points out that there is no _________________ for those who live on the islands.
2. What does the Old Gentleman tell the men building the house before he leaves?
3. Where do the surviving fishermen fish now?
4. How often does Kino visit Jiya and Setsu?
5. Which of the following is NOT a reason that Kino opposes Jiya's choice for a wife?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)