|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jiya wants to marry a certain girl because she makes him laugh and _________________________.
(a) Works hard.
(b) Cooks good.
(c) Treats everyone kindly.
(d) Makes him forget the big wave.
2. Kino's father assures Kino that life is stronger than __________________.
3. How does Jiya feel at the beginning of Section 3?
4. Kino's father says that their people do not fear death because ________________________.
(a) It is an honor to die.
(b) They see it often.
(c) The next life will be very good.
(d) This life is so hard.
5. How has Kino been in his life?
6. What can Kino tell about Jiya when he sees him after Jiya learns about the Old Gentleman's offer?
(a) He looks happy.
(b) He seems relieved.
(c) He looks ill.
(d) He has been crying.
7. What is a drawback of the girl Jiya wants to marry according to Kino?
(a) She has no sense of humor.
(b) She is very tall.
(c) She can't cook.
(d) She spends too much money.
8. What does Kino's father demand that Jiya do before making his decision about the Old Gentleman's offer?
(a) Talk to some of the Old Gentleman's adopted children.
(b) Live at the Old Gentleman's castle for a trial period.
(c) See the inside of the Old Gentleman's castle.
(d) Pray about the decision.
9. Who leads Kino and Jiya into the Old Gentleman's castle?
(c) Old Gentleman.
10. Why is the Old Gentleman angry at the young men building the house?
(a) They don't know anything about construction.
(b) They are making too much noise.
(c) They are desecrating sacred ground.
(d) They are foolish to leave the safety of his castle.
11. How is time measured for people in the village?
(a) Before and after the big wave.
(b) The Japanese New Year.
(c) The fishing seasons.
(d) The harvest seasons.
12. Why was Kino afraid of life at first?
(a) He didn't know where he belonged.
(b) He didn't know how he got there.
(c) He was in pain.
(d) He didn't know anything about it.
13. The Old Gentleman tells Jiya that it is a shame that Jiya did not become his son because ______________________.
(a) He could live in the castle and be safe.
(b) He could be wealthy now.
(c) He would be better educated now.
(d) He could have traveled the world.
14. Jiya wakes only to _____________ and then goes back to sleep.
(a) Take a walk.
15. Who will speak to Jiya about the benefits that the Old Gentleman can offer?
(b) Kino's father.
(c) Kino's mother.
(d) The village chief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jiya tell Kino's father about what he wants to do?
2. Why does Jiya tell the Old Gentleman that his castle is not safe either?
3. Why does Kino say that they are unfortunate to live in Japan?
4. Jiya looks at the empty beach every morning as if _____________________.
5. Kino's father says that living in the midst of danger _______________________.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)