|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3: pages 30-46.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Jiya be allowed to do if he would become the Old Gentleman's son?
(a) Give money to Kino's family.
(b) Have his own house.
(c) Become a farmer.
(d) Build fishing boats.
2. Why does Kino say that they are unfortunate to live in Japan?
(a) The language is so hard to learn.
(b) They have to deal with the volcano and the ocean.
(c) They are isolated from the rest of the world.
(d) They don't have high-paying jobs.
3. According to Kino, what are the two forces of evil in the lives of people he knows?
(a) The volcano and the ocean.
(b) Greed and gluttony.
(c) Poverty and greed.
(d) Drugs and alcohol.
4. The way of the good Japanese is to enjoy life and ________________________.
(a) Help other people.
(c) Not fear death.
(d) Forgive other people.
5. Why does a bell toll from the Old Gentleman's castle?
(a) He invites the villagers to take shelter in his castle.
(b) He has spotted a hurricane.
(c) He heard a news report tha the war is over.
(d) The volcano is about to erupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for Kino's concern for Jiya?
2. As Jiya starts to feel better, he will cry only _______________________.
3. What are Kino and his family doing at the beginning of Section 2?
4. Kino's father assures Kino that life is stronger than __________________.
5. Why does Kino sometimes think Jiya is luckier than he is?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)