|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Boone first realize that something has happened with the group in Chapter 36?
2. What is the weather at the start of Chapter 37?
3. What is causing Boone to be suspicious of Jim and Teal Eye?
4. As Jim informs Boone in Chapter 36, what did the Indians want that attacked them?
5. How many goats does Boone shoot in Chapter 38?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boone stop at Paoli on his way back home in Chapter 44?
2. What is Boone's plan to have a life with Teal Eye?
3. What has happened to Teal Eye's tribe in Chapter 28?
4. What is Jim's condition like in Chapter 37 and what is being done to draw attention to the group?
5. Where are Boone and Jim traveling to In Chapter 41 and what news does Boone receive?
6. Where do Boone and Jim eventually find the remnants of Teal Eye's tribe and what does Boone do when they get there?
7. Which guests stay at the camp with Boone and Jim in Chapter 26?
8. What is Jim talking about in Chapter 38 and why does Boone decide to leave?
9. Where are Boone and Jim looking for Teal Eye's tribe in Chapter 28 and what are they finding?
10. What does Boone do in order to get the goats back to the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Boone continues to learn more about the Indians, two different tribes form opposite sides of a pending war.
1) Analyze the attack on the Mandan by the Sioux and Boone's response to it.
2) Explain the differences between the Sioux and the Rees.
3) Describe the meeting with the Rees and whether it plays a role in the way Boone deals with Indians later in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three examples of Boone's temper and the negative effect it has had on his life, including the results of his inability to control it, the things it has cost him, and the people he has hurt because of it.
Essay Topic 3
The Big Sky ends with a conversation between Boone and Dick and an open-ended question about Boone's future.
1) Describe Boone's visit to Dick's farm at the end of the book.
2) Explain why you think Guthrie selected Dick as the character that Boone confides in.
3) Analyze the effectiveness of an uncertain ending to the story concerning Boone's plans and his aloneness.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)