|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men try to get someone's attention in Chapter 37?
2. What news does Jim bring to Boone about Dick in Chapter 32?
3. What does Peabody think about Boone and Jim in Chapter 35?
4. How many children does Dan have when Boone returns home in Chapter 45?
5. Which form of transportation does Jim tell Boone about in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trap does Boone set for Jim and Teal Eye, and what is the result of it?
2. Which guests stay at the camp with Boone and Jim in Chapter 26?
3. Where are Boone and Jim traveling to In Chapter 41 and what news does Boone receive?
4. How does Teal Eye respond to seeing Boone again and what is done to consider Boone's request for her?
5. What is Jim talking about in Chapter 38 and why does Boone decide to leave?
6. How has life changed for Boone and Jim after five years have passed since Boone reconnected with Teal Eye?
7. What does Boone experience while traveling on the boat in Chapter 43?
8. What offer does Peabody have for Boone and how does Boone respond?
9. Why does Boone stop at Paoli on his way back home in Chapter 44?
10. Where are Boone and Jim looking for Teal Eye's tribe in Chapter 28 and what are they finding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Boone's first two encounters with the Indians, including how he prepares for them, the differences in the two types of Indians, and the new things that Boone discovers about Indians in general from the second encounter in Chapter 14.
Essay Topic 2
The expansion of the country is a key element in the plot when Boone is caught between preserving the Indian land and assisting innovation.
1) Describe three examples of expansion that Boone either observes or hears from Jim.
2) Explain the role of expansion in the story and in the development of the three main characters.
3) Analyze Boone's decision to take Peabody to Oregon and his reluctance in accepting the job.
Essay Topic 3
Teal Eye's pregnancy has an unanticipated effect on Boone and their relationship.
1) Describe how Boone first learns that Teal Eye is pregnant and his response to the news.
2) Explain how Boone reacts to discovering his son's blindness.
3) Analyze the validity of Boone's anger over his son's appearance and the implications he draws from it.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)