|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Boone taken to by the sheriff in Chapter 7?
2. What is Jim Deakins transporting in his wagon when he first meets Boone in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Jim take the jail cell keys from in Chapter 8?
4. What type of boat do Boone and Jim see on their journey in Chapter 9?
5. How long has Boone been with the Mandan in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boone try to hide the symptoms of his illness while traveling on the Mandan and how does Jim help him?
2. What takes place when Boone and Dick have a confrontation with twelve Indians in Chapter 14?
3. Which issues do Jourdonnais and McKenzie discuss at Fort Union?
4. What causes Boone to leave home in Chapter 1 and what items does he take with him?
5. What is causing the men to consider making their current rendezvous the last one in Chapter 24?
6. After a year on the Mandan, how has Boone's appearance changed and what thoughts does he have about returning home in Chapter 16?
7. What are the similarities and differences in the way that Boone, Jim, and Dick view their situation in Chapter 20?
8. What thoughts does the Grand Teton Range spark for Dick?
9. How are the other passengers on the Mandan described?
10. How much time has passed when Chapter 20 begins and what events have occurred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Teal Eye presents a different kind of challenge for Boone when his feelings begin to form out of nowhere.
1) Describe Teal Eye and her original character traits as they are displayed on the Mandan.
2) Explain how Teal Eye acts when she is closer to her native land.
3) Analyze the two events that cause Boone to realize he has developed feelings for Teal Eyes.
Essay Topic 2
Dick Summers has a positive effect on Boone's life and is influential in his adventure.
1) Describe Dick's character and goals when Boone first meets him.
2) Explain three examples of how Dick helps Boone to learn survival skills.
3) Analyze the change that Dick goes through and the reasons why he decides to settle down in St. Louis.
Essay Topic 3
Another Indian attack in Chapter 19 confirms the warnings that Boone and the other men of the Mandan were given about the Indian territory.
1) Describe the plan for returning Teal Eye to her people and the risks involved with it.
2) Explain the signs of the pending Indian attack as well as the similarities between them and other Indian attacks in the book.
3) Analyze the effects of the Indian attack and what happens to Boone, Jim, and Dick.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)