|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jim working in St. Louis in Chapter 9?
2. How many buffalo do Boone and Dick kill when Boone is learning in Chapter 14?
3. What does Dick think about doing when he returns home?
4. What do Boone and Dick take when they are hiding from the Indians in Chapter 14?
5. Which animal does Boone steal in Chapter 6 as he trying to find Bedwell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim free Boone from the Paoli jail cell?
2. What thoughts does the Grand Teton Range spark for Dick?
3. How is the crew of the Mandan attacked by the Indians in Chapter 15?
4. How does Teal Eye change when she gets closer to the land of her people?
5. How does Boone escape his father and the law in Louisville?
6. How does Jim help Boone in his fight with Streak?
7. Which issues do Jourdonnais and McKenzie discuss at Fort Union?
8. What is life like for Boone and Jim in St. Louis?
9. Why does Boone try to hide the symptoms of his illness while traveling on the Mandan and how does Jim help him?
10. What is causing the men to consider making their current rendezvous the last one in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide a detailed explanation of Boone's plan to request a life with Teal Eye, the actions he takes to increase his chances, Jim's thoughts on Boone's plan, and the loyalty that he displays in staying with Boone.
Essay Topic 2
Teal Eye presents a different kind of challenge for Boone when his feelings begin to form out of nowhere.
1) Describe Teal Eye and her original character traits as they are displayed on the Mandan.
2) Explain how Teal Eye acts when she is closer to her native land.
3) Analyze the two events that cause Boone to realize he has developed feelings for Teal Eyes.
Essay Topic 3
Another Indian attack in Chapter 19 confirms the warnings that Boone and the other men of the Mandan were given about the Indian territory.
1) Describe the plan for returning Teal Eye to her people and the risks involved with it.
2) Explain the signs of the pending Indian attack as well as the similarities between them and other Indian attacks in the book.
3) Analyze the effects of the Indian attack and what happens to Boone, Jim, and Dick.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)