|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boone pack with his clothes before leaving in Chapter 1?
2. What is the last name of Boone's lawyer in Chapter 7?
3. Whom do Boone and Dick meet with to discuss the upcoming war in Chapter 16?
4. Who would most likely have told Pap that Boone was going to St. Louis?
5. How do the Indians respond to the prices they are given during the trading in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. After a year on the Mandan, how has Boone's appearance changed and what thoughts does he have about returning home in Chapter 16?
2. Why does Boone try to hide the symptoms of his illness while traveling on the Mandan and how does Jim help him?
3. What is Boone's reputation when the story begins, and what trouble is he in as a result of his actions?
4. How does Boone meet Jim Deakins?
5. How does Jim free Boone from the Paoli jail cell?
6. How much time has passed when Chapter 20 begins and what events have occurred?
7. What does Jourdonnais think about Dick and his priorities in Chapter 15?
8. How is the crew of the Mandan attacked by the Indians in Chapter 15?
9. What are the similarities and differences in the way that Boone, Jim, and Dick view their situation in Chapter 20?
10. What information does Boone discover while the Mandan travels through the territory of the Rees Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Big Sky ends with a conversation between Boone and Dick and an open-ended question about Boone's future.
1) Describe Boone's visit to Dick's farm at the end of the book.
2) Explain why you think Guthrie selected Dick as the character that Boone confides in.
3) Analyze the effectiveness of an uncertain ending to the story concerning Boone's plans and his aloneness.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the lesson that Boone learns when he encounters Bedwell and how Boone remembers the situation later in life when he returns to that area of the country.
Essay Topic 3
Guthrie uses symbolism, foreshadowing, and the weather to bring his story to life.
1) Analyze three examples of symbolism in The Big Sky.
2) Analyze three examples of foreshadowing in The Big Sky along with the events they foreshadow.
3) Analyze Guthrie's use of the weather and scenery to enhance the events that take place throughout the book, including a description of at least two examples.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)