|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was George from?
2. In whose honor was the first burial at sea Hughes participated in?
(a) The Chief Engineer of his ship.
(b) The Chief Steward.
(c) His roomate George.
(d) His friend Francis Carco.
3. Why did Hughes agree to go to Mexico after his high school graduation and meet his father?
(a) He thought his father might pay for college.
(b) He wanted to learn about ranching.
(c) He mised his father.
(d) He thought his father would stop sending money if he did not.
4. Who took over Hughes's English classes when he left Mexico?
(a) A woman from Arkansas.
(b) Frau Schultz.
(c) James Hughes.
(d) A woman in the village.
5. What happened when Hughes picked up Jocko at the pet shop?
(a) He was charged $30 for Jocko's care.
(b) He was offered $30 for Jocko.
(c) He found Jocko was missing.
(d) He asked the proprietor to keep Jocko there.
6. How did Hughes feel when he arrived in Harlem for the first time?
(a) Nervous and uncertain.
(b) Frightened and regretful.
(c) Lost and confused.
(d) Happy and excited.
7. What was the general atmosphere on the S.S. Malone during its journey on the coast of Africa?
(a) Mostly angry, hostile, and dangerous.
(b) Mostly jovial, friendly, and fun.
(c) Mostly sad, meloncholy, and depressing.
(d) Mostly boring, hot, and hostile.
8. Who was Captain Ralph Quarles?
(a) Hughes's maternal great-grandfather.
(b) Captain of the ship on which the Hughes came to America.
(c) Captain of the S.S. Malone.
(d) Hughes's paternal great-grandfather.
9. What did Hughes's father decide he should study in school?
(b) Farming and ranching.
(c) Mining engineering.
(d) Mechanical engineering.
10. What did Hughes's mother do after he left home to return to New York?
(a) She sent Jocko back to Africa on the S.S. Malone.
(b) She sold Jocko to a pet store in Pittsburgh.
(c) She sent Jocko to Hughes' father in Mexico.
(d) She let Kit keep Jocko as his pet.
11. Why did Hughes turn down Alain Locke's request to meet with him?
(a) He was busy.
(b) He was frustrated.
(c) He was angry.
(d) He was afraid.
12. What did Hughes consider the "greatest Negro city in the world?"
(d) Kansas City.
13. What did Hughes do after the end of his freshman year at Columbia?
(a) Decided he wanted to be a writer.
(b) Returned to Cleveland with his mother.
(c) Moved into Harlem with his mother.
(d) Dropped out of school and looked for work.
14. Which of Hughes's relatives became Dean of the first law school at Howard University?
(a) His grandfather's brother.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His grandmother's brother.
(d) His great uncle.
15. Where did Langston Hughes want to attend college?
(a) Yale in New Haven.
(b) Columbia in New York City.
(c) Harvard in Boston.
(d) Loyola in Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Mrs. Dorsey?
2. Who were George and Ramon?
3. Who were all but one of the six passengers aboard the S.S Malone?
4. When Hughes and his stepfather took Jocko to the pool hall, what happened?
5. Where did Hughes meet Frau Schultz?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)