|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hughes do after the end of his freshman year at Columbia?
(a) Returned to Cleveland with his mother.
(b) Dropped out of school and looked for work.
(c) Moved into Harlem with his mother.
(d) Decided he wanted to be a writer.
2. How did Hughes feel about Columbia once he started college there?
(a) He did not like it.
(b) He was homesick for Cleveland.
(c) He was bored and tired of it.
(d) He loved it.
3. What happened when Hughes picked up Jocko at the pet shop?
(a) He asked the proprietor to keep Jocko there.
(b) He was charged $30 for Jocko's care.
(c) He was offered $30 for Jocko.
(d) He found Jocko was missing.
4. About what incident did Hughes write the poem "African Fog?"
(a) Black men singing as the captain rang evening bells.
(b) Men singing while they loaded cattle onto the S.S.Malone.
(c) Oarsmen singing as the S.S. Malone took up anchor and left the port.
(d) Black boatmen unloading cargo in the fog and singing their songs.
5. What neighborhood in Paris did Hughes walk through to look for a job and a place to live?
(a) Place de la Concorde.
(d) The Left Bank.
6. Where did Hughes meet Frau Schultz?
(a) In the diner car of the train.
(b) At his father's home in Toluca.
(c) In St Louis at the train station.
(d) On the train to Mexico.
7. Who did Hughes say was the one professor who he was interested in at Columbia?
(a) Mr. Wagner.
(b) Mr. Watson.
(c) Mr. Wasson.
(d) Mr. Williams.
8. Who were all but one of the six passengers aboard the S.S Malone?
(a) Spanish missionaries.
(b) Nordic missionaries.
(c) Dutch settlers.
(d) English statesmen.
9. What was the general atmosphere on the S.S. Malone during its journey on the coast of Africa?
(a) Mostly angry, hostile, and dangerous.
(b) Mostly sad, meloncholy, and depressing.
(c) Mostly jovial, friendly, and fun.
(d) Mostly boring, hot, and hostile.
10. How did Hughes begin earning his own money while he lived with his father?
(a) He got a job in a store.
(b) He began training horses.
(c) He got a job cleaning stables.
(d) He began teaching English lessons.
11. With whom did Hughes stay his first night in New York City?
(a) Two Mexicans he had met on the ship.
(b) His mother and stepfather who met him there.
(c) Friends he knew from teaching English in Mexico.
(d) No one, he stayed by himself in a hotel.
12. How did Hughes feel when he arrived in Harlem for the first time?
(a) Happy and excited.
(b) Nervous and uncertain.
(c) Lost and confused.
(d) Frightened and regretful.
13. What canned meat did Frau Schultz and Hughes enjoy that had a label written in Spanish only?
14. What happened to the S. S. Malone on its voyage home from Africa?
(a) It encountered smooth waters and had a pleasant trip home.
(b) It made so many stops that it ended up days behind schedule.
(c) It nearly ran aground at two or three points in the journey.
(d) It encountered a violent storm and left some passengers very ill.
15. When did Hughes finally leave Mexico to return to America?
(a) October, 1920.
(b) August, 1921.
(c) September, 1923.
(d) September, 1921.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Africans Hughes met respond to his skin color?
2. Where did the S.S. Malone finally put in?
3. What was the name of the dormitory at Columbia in which Hughes lived?
4. How old was Hughes when he sailed away from America?
5. How did Hughes think poems were like rainbows?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)