|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alma Mater—Post Script.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many monkeys were on the S. S. Malone?
(a) About thirty.
(b) About twenty.
(c) About fifteen.
(d) Only one.
2. Where did Hughes stay when he was in New Orleans on his trip in 1927?
(a) On Bourbon Street.
(b) On Rampart Street.
(c) On Basin Street.
(d) On Canal Street.
3. Why was the dormitory director at Columbia reluctant to give Hughes his room?
(a) Because they had not received his room reservation.
(b) Because they had transferred him to another dormitory.
(c) Because they could not find his room reservation.
(d) Because they realized he was black, not Mexican.
4. What was the name of the poem that won Hughes his first poetry prize?
(a) "The Black Walking Stick."
(b) "The Weary Blues."
(c) "The Black Man's Blues."
(d) "The Blues Woman."
5. What happened to the monkey cage the sailors built on the S.S. Malone?
(a) It was left at the dock on the western coast.
(b) It was broken open during a storm.
(c) It was stolen by one of the passengers.
(d) It was thrown overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hughes, his mother, and his grandmother go to meet his father?
2. How did Hughes obtain a sleeping car in San Antonio on his way to Cleveland?
3. What did Locke want to talk with Hughes about during their lunch together in Paris?
4. How did Hughes learn to wait tables and serve drinks?
5. What did the men in Africa say to Hughes when he tried to talk to them about Marcus Garvey?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)