|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alma Mater—Post Script.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were George and Ramon?
(a) Hughes's classmates.
(b) Hughes's brothers.
(c) Hughes's bunk mates.
(d) Hughes's friends in New York.
2. How long did Hughes live in Washington D.C.?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
3. What did an elderly graduate of Lincoln who had read Hughes's survey say to Hughes at his graduation?
(a) "You don't get things out of white folks that way."
(b) "If you break the social rules, you won't get anywhere."
(c) "The only way to catch flies is with honey."
(d) "You won't get any solutions that way."
4. How did Hughes think poems were like rainbows?
(a) They are things of beauty.
(b) They disappear quickly.
(c) They are not everday events.
(d) They last in your memory.
5. Why did Hughes want to return to college?
(a) To get a better background for writing.
(b) To become part of Washington black society.
(c) To get a better job at the Library of Congress.
(d) To earn more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Wallace Thurman die?
2. Why did Hughes have trouble writing about bullfights?
3. Who did Rudolph Fisher sing with while he was in college?
4. Who was Captain Ralph Quarles?
5. What were some of the stops Hughes's ship made while on its route to and from Havana?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)