|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Twenty-One,Tragedy at Toluca—Time to Leave.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hughes turn down Alain Locke's request to meet with him?
(a) He was busy.
(b) He was frustrated.
(c) He was afraid.
(d) He was angry.
2. What was the name of the children's play Hughes wrote and published in the "Brownie Book"?
(a) "The Golden Horse."
(b) "The Gold Piece."
(c) "The Gold Watch."
(d) "The Golden Fish."
3. Who took over Hughes's English classes when he left Mexico?
(a) A woman from Arkansas.
(b) Frau Schultz.
(c) A woman in the village.
(d) James Hughes.
4. Where was Hughes's ship traveling to when he left America?
(a) South America.
5. Where did Hughes find work the summer after his freshman year at Columbia?
(a) At a newspaper in New York City.
(b) At a newspaper in Cleveland.
(c) At a truck garden on Staten Island.
(d) At a bakery in Harlem.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hughes begin earning his own money while he lived with his father?
2. Who was Auntie Reed and Uncle Reed?
3. How did Hughes feel about Columbia once he started college there?
4. Who were all but one of the six passengers aboard the S.S Malone?
5. Where did Hughes go to see the bullfights in Mexico?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)