|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Twenty-One,Tragedy at Toluca—Time to Leave.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Mrs. Dorsey?
(a) The woman who published Hughes' poetry.
(b) The woman who rented Hughes a room in her home in Harlem.
(c) The woman who hired Hughes at the flower store.
(d) The woman who taught Hughes poetry.
2. What was Sandy Hook?
(a) The place in which Hughes was born.
(b) The place in which Highes went to school.
(c) The place at which Hughes' father lived.
(d) The place at which Hughes threw his books overboard.
3. How did Hughes obtain a sleeping car in San Antonio on his way to Cleveland?
(a) He paid the conductor extra for the room.
(b) He lied about his age.
(c) He pretended to be Mexican.
(d) He spoke Spanish and was assumed to be Mexican.
4. Where did Hughes go to see the bullfights in Mexico?
(b) Mexico City.
5. Who were all but one of the six passengers aboard the S.S Malone?
(a) Dutch settlers.
(b) Nordic missionaries.
(c) Spanish missionaries.
(d) English statesmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Hughes's relatives became Dean of the first law school at Howard University?
2. What did Hughes consider the "greatest Negro city in the world?"
3. Why did Hughes have trouble writing about bullfights?
4. How much was Hughes supposed to win by spending the night on the haunted ship?
5. What was Hughes's job on the ship across the ocean?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)