|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Twenty-One,Tragedy at Toluca—Time to Leave.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Sandy Hook?
(a) The place at which Hughes' father lived.
(b) The place in which Highes went to school.
(c) The place in which Hughes was born.
(d) The place at which Hughes threw his books overboard.
2. Where did Hughes find work the summer after his freshman year at Columbia?
(a) At a newspaper in New York City.
(b) At a truck garden on Staten Island.
(c) At a newspaper in Cleveland.
(d) At a bakery in Harlem.
3. What did "Negro" mean in the United States?
(a) Someone who was a slave.
(b) Someone who had any Negro ancestry.
(c) Someone who had only Negro blood in his veins.
(d) Someone who was born in Africa and came to America.
4. What did Hughes's father decide he should study in school?
(b) Mechanical engineering.
(c) Mining engineering.
(d) Farming and ranching.
5. Where did Hughes go to live when he was in second grade?
(a) With his aunt in Kansas City, Missouri.
(b) With his uncle in Brooklyn, New York.
(c) With his grandmother in Memphis, Tennessee.
(d) With his grandmother in Lawrence, Kansas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Auntie Reed and Uncle Reed?
2. Where did the S.S. Malone finally put in?
3. Who was shot by the German brewery-master at James Hughes's house in Mexico?
4. What did Hughes consider the "greatest Negro city in the world?"
5. How many fraternities did Hughes pledge for?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)