|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Krishna's devotee look upon friend and foe?
2. What is the quality of the path to the Unrevealed according to Krishna?
3. How does the ashvattha tree grow?
4. What does Krishna say is better than mechanical practice?
5. What word best describes sattva?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sanjaya say that Krishna showed Arjuna?
2. With what kind of person is Krishna in love?
3. What does Krishna say are the two orders of being in the world? Is there anything beyond?
4. What instructions does Krishna give Arjuna at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What kind of knowledge belongs to each of the gunas?
6. What happens to souls who die in each of these states?
7. What are the limits to Krishna's divine power?
8. What is the difference between the two kinds of renunciation?
9. What are Krishna's instructions for Arjuna if he finds he cannot still his mind?
10. How do those ruled by each of the gunas worship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Krishna tells Arjuna that the will is the Self's only friend as well as the Self's only enemy. What does this mean? For whom is the Self a friend? For whom is the Self an enemy? What does Krishna say an aspirant should do with respect to her will? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Krishna speaks to Arjuna at length about dying and one's conduct at the time of death. How does one's conduct at the time of death influence the destiny of one's soul? How does Krishna say Arjuna's soul may be united with him when Arjuna dies, and what are Krishna's instructions for this? Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Krisha says, "At the beginning of time I declared two paths for the pure heart: jnana yoga . . . and karma yoga."
Part 1) Compare and contrast jnana yoga and karma yoga.
Part 2) What kind of aspirants does Krishna say pursue each? What are the advantages of each path?
Part 3) Discuss which path Krishna favors.
Cite specific textual examples for all of the above.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)