|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are those who have achieved perfect renunciation free from?
2. What is Maya?
3. What do the six months of the southern path of the sun lead other souls to?
4. Who does Krishna say will come to him?
5. Who is with Arjuna before the battle begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Krishna say about those who abstain from action to enjoy sensual pleasures?
2. What is Krishna's highest nature and how does it give every creature its existence?
3. What does Krishna say is the difference between those whose desires are fragmented and those whose consciousness is unified?
4. What does Krishna say determines the destination of the dying.
5. What are Krishna's instructions to those who aspire to a state of yoga?
6. What does Krishna say about the relationship between his unmanifested form and the existence of the manifested universe?
7. What are some of the reasons Krishna says people worship him?
8. Why does Arjuna suggest he could receive no satisfaction from killing Dhritarastra's sons?
9. What does Sri Krishna say about Ajuna's sorrow?
10. What does Krishna say about those who follow the path of service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Krishna's teachings consistently return to several major things that bind souls to death and rebirth.
Part 1) Identify three such things and explain them clearly citing specific examples from the Gita.
Part 2) Outline in detail the means Krishna offers for transcending these, and breaking the cycle of death and rebirth.
Part 3) Attempt to unify these themes, using either your own words or Krishna's, into a single instruction for attaining what Krishna calls "the supreme goal."
Cite specific examples from the text for all of the above.
Essay Topic 2
Krishna says that "the wise see that there is action in the midst of inaction and inaction in the midst of action." What is the meaning of this cryptic statement? Discuss its significance in the Bhagavad Gita citing specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Krisha says, "At the beginning of time I declared two paths for the pure heart: jnana yoga . . . and karma yoga."
Part 1) Compare and contrast jnana yoga and karma yoga.
Part 2) What kind of aspirants does Krishna say pursue each? What are the advantages of each path?
Part 3) Discuss which path Krishna favors.
Cite specific textual examples for all of the above.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)