|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the women of a family become corrupt according to Arjuna?
2. According to Sri Krishna, nothing is higher than what for a warrior?
3. Who is with Arjuna before the battle begins?
4. Where is Krishna's eternal seed to be found?
5. What does Krishna say is his action?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Krishna say a spiritual aspirant ascends to a unitive state?
2. Of those who seek the spiritual life, who are the most blessed according to Krishna?
3. What is Krishna's response to Arjuna's complaint that the mind is restless and difficult to control?
4. What does Krishna say about those who have gone beyond the dualities of life?
5. What are some of the metaphors Krishna gives for his nature in this chapter?
6. What does Krishna say about the duality of attraction and aversion?
7. Who does Arjuna see lined up to fight? What is his reaction?
8. What does Krishna tell Arjuna concerning the performance of selfless action versus the renunciation of action?
9. How does Krishna say a sinner may become holy?
10. What is Arjuna's first command to Sri Krishna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the first chapter, Dhritarashtra asks Sanjaya to tell him what happened on the field of dharma where his family gathered to fight the Pandavas. The story of the Bhagavad Gita then unfolds for the reader through the mouth of Sanjaya.
How do we understand the story differently because it is narrated by Sanjaya, and not Krishna or Arjuna? How does this choice make the reader feel? In what ways does this narrative device enhance the effect of the story? Discuss citing specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Krishna tells Arjuna that the gunas come from him, and although he is not in them, he enjoys their play. Write an essay discussing the following:
Part 1) What is the guna sattva? What are some examples of a sattvic attitude? What are some examples of sattvic action? What do souls possessing a primarily sattvic nature worship?
Part 2) What is the guna rajas? What are some examples of a rajastic attitude? What are some examples of rajastic action? What do souls possessing a primarily rajastic nature worship?
Part 3) What is the guna tamas? What are some examples of a tamasic attitude? What are some examples of tamasic action? What do souls possessing a primarily tamasic nature worship?
Part 4) What is the destiny of souls which are guided by sattva, rajas, and tamas respectively?
Part 5) Can the gunas be transcended?
Use specific examples from the text for all of the above.
Essay Topic 3
Krishna tells Arjuna that the will is the Self's only friend as well as the Self's only enemy. What does this mean? For whom is the Self a friend? For whom is the Self an enemy? What does Krishna say an aspirant should do with respect to her will? Use specific examples from the text.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)