|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do those who worship the gods go according to Krishna?
2. What is the source of every selfless act according to Krishna?
3. How does Krishna say the true Self may be realized?
4. What does Krishna say is the only friend of the Self?
5. According to Krishna, the standards that outstanding persons create will be followed by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Krishna tell Arjuna concerning the performance of selfless action versus the renunciation of action?
2. What does Krishna say truly great souls seek? How?
3. What are some of the reasons Krishna says people worship him?
4. What is Arjuna's first command to Sri Krishna?
5. What does Krishna say would happen if he ever refrained from continuous work?
6. Of those who seek the spiritual life, who are the most blessed according to Krishna?
7. Why does Arjuna suggest he could receive no satisfaction from killing Dhritarastra's sons?
8. How does Krishna say Arjuna may pass from death to immortality?
9. What does Krishna say about the duality of attraction and aversion?
10. What does Krishna tell Arjuna about work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the first chapter, Dhritarashtra asks Sanjaya to tell him what happened on the field of dharma where his family gathered to fight the Pandavas. The story of the Bhagavad Gita then unfolds for the reader through the mouth of Sanjaya.
How do we understand the story differently because it is narrated by Sanjaya, and not Krishna or Arjuna? How does this choice make the reader feel? In what ways does this narrative device enhance the effect of the story? Discuss citing specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Krishna tells Arjuna that the gunas come from him, and although he is not in them, he enjoys their play. Write an essay discussing the following:
Part 1) What is the guna sattva? What are some examples of a sattvic attitude? What are some examples of sattvic action? What do souls possessing a primarily sattvic nature worship?
Part 2) What is the guna rajas? What are some examples of a rajastic attitude? What are some examples of rajastic action? What do souls possessing a primarily rajastic nature worship?
Part 3) What is the guna tamas? What are some examples of a tamasic attitude? What are some examples of tamasic action? What do souls possessing a primarily tamasic nature worship?
Part 4) What is the destiny of souls which are guided by sattva, rajas, and tamas respectively?
Part 5) Can the gunas be transcended?
Use specific examples from the text for all of the above.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of duality arises consistently in the Bhagavad Gita. What is duality and why is it central to Krishna's teaching? Discuss citing specific examples.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)