|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what does Sophie ask the Queen to give her and the BFG for breakfast?
2. Which giant almost escapes in Chapter 22?
3. How many children write letters begging the BFG to visit them?
4. What is the name of the Palace butler?
5. How old does a BFG say that a 50-year-old human actually is because of the time spent sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, where are the giants going to get humans to eat?
2. What does the BFG plan to feed the giants?
3. What does the butler use to create a chair for the BFG to eat breakfast?
4. Who sees the BFG in Chapter 19, and what happens when he sees the BFG?
5. How did the BFG learn to read and write?
6. What did the Queen dream at the end of her dream?
7. Where will the BFG wait for Sophie, and how will she summon him when she is ready?
8. How does the BFG move through the Palace garden?
9. What do the giants look and sound like when they're sleeping?
10. How is the Fleshlumpeater captured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several different settings in the novel. What are the different settings? How do each of these settings set the tone, atmosphere, and mood in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Sophie only knows the Queen from hearing her on the radio or seeing her picture. What are some of the things she does when she gets over the nightmare? How does the Queen treat Sophie and the BFG? What do the Queen’s actions reveal about her character and the type of person she is?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie is surprised to see that the BFG is a creature of many moods. What moods does the BFG display, especially in the first few sections of the novel where he and Sophie become acquainted with one another? In what way do his moods change quickly? How do the BFG’s mood affect how the BFG is perceived by Sophie and by readers?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)