|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many windows has the BFG opened in his years of dream blowing?
2. What is the name of the royal chef?
3. Where does the Queen decide that she will eat breakfast with Sophie and the Giant?
4. When do tourists especially like to see the captive giants?
5. What color dressing gown does the Queen put on before Sophie calls the BFG in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the BFG know that they are getting close to London?
2. How does the BFG move through the Palace garden?
3. What do the giants look and sound like when they're sleeping?
4. In Chapter 19, what story is in the morning newspaper?
5. How does Sophie direct the BFG to get into the palace grounds?
6. What happens when the BFG gives the Fleshlumpeater the nightmare?
7. Who sees the BFG in Chapter 19, and what happens when he sees the BFG?
8. What happens when the Head of the Army hears the giants snoring?
9. Where will the BFG wait for Sophie, and how will she summon him when she is ready?
10. What do the Head of the Army and Head of the Air Force do when the BFG tells them what will happen if the giants wake up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie has a limited view of the world before she meets the BFG. What are some of the prejudices she has? How does the BFG broaden her view of the world? How do her ideas about the world change because of her conversations with the BFG?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, both the BFG and Sophie fear one another. Why are they both afraid of the other? How does that fear affect their first interactions? How does their fear of one another dissipate?
Essay Topic 3
The BFG has been bringing dreams to children throughout his life. What have been some of his dreams? How are his dreams realized in the novel? How has the type of person that he is contributed to his achieving his dreams?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)