|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall of a table does the butler think will be needed for the BFG?
2. Where does the Queen decide that she will eat breakfast with Sophie and the Giant?
3. In Chapter 14, where are the giants going that evening?
4. How many times does the clock strike at the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. What color dressing gown does the Queen put on before Sophie calls the BFG in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Queen dream at the end of her dream?
2. Where will the BFG wait for Sophie, and how will she summon him when she is ready?
3. How can the BFG mix up a dream?
4. In Chapter 19, what story is in the morning newspaper?
5. How did the BFG learn to read and write?
6. Where do the BFG and Sophie live after the giants are captured?
7. What is the plan to capture the giants?
8. Who sees the BFG in Chapter 19, and what happens when he sees the BFG?
9. What does the BFG plan to feed the giants?
10. How does the BFG know that they are getting close to London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The BFG stands by his beliefs. What are some of the principles that the BFG has? How does he stick by his principles no matter what? Does he ever let inconvenience or nastiness stand in the way of doing what he thinks is right?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, both the BFG and Sophie fear one another. Why are they both afraid of the other? How does that fear affect their first interactions? How does their fear of one another dissipate?
Essay Topic 3
“The BFG” is told from a third-person omniscient point of view. How does the author’s choice to tell the story using that point of view impact the characters and the plot and how both are developed?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)