|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many helicopters does the BFG say will be needed to capture the giants?
2. In Chapter 19, what is the name of the girls' school where 18 girls disappeared from their beds?
3. What does the King of Arabia send as a gift in Chapter 24?
4. How will the helicopters find their way to the giants?
5. What does the BFG write about his past life before he writes a book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the BFG gives the Fleshlumpeater the nightmare?
2. How does the BFG get into the ballroom?
3. How is Sophie situated as she goes along with the BFG to the Queen's palace?
4. How did the BFG learn to read and write?
5. How is the Fleshlumpeater captured?
6. What did the Queen dream at the end of her dream?
7. Who sees the BFG in Chapter 19, and what happens when he sees the BFG?
8. How does the BFG know that they are getting close to London?
9. What does Sophie see when the giants pass her and the BFG on their way home?
10. How does the capturing of the giants go at first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The BFG changes in the novel. What is he like at the beginning of the novel? How does he change? What brings about the changes in him?
Essay Topic 2
Sophie only knows the Queen from hearing her on the radio or seeing her picture. What are some of the things she does when she gets over the nightmare? How does the Queen treat Sophie and the BFG? What do the Queen’s actions reveal about her character and the type of person she is?
Essay Topic 3
There are several places in the novel where Dahl uses suspense. How does Dahl use suspense throughout the novel, and how does the use of suspense affect readers and the pace of the story?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)