|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of shop do the Goochey's have?
2. How did the BFG know that Sophie was watching him out her window that night he snatched her?
3. What hint of fruit flavor does Sophie taste in the frobscottle?
4. What is the creature doing that Sophie sees at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. What does the BFG collect in the jars in his cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dream Country look like?
2. What are the other giants like?
3. What does the Giant do after looking in the Goochey children's bedroom window?
4. Are there reasons that are acceptable for children to be out of bed in Chapter 1?
5. What happens shortly after Sophie hides in her bed in Chapter 3?
6. What does Sophie see at the end of Chapter 1 when she looks out the window?
7. What does the Giant say about the Bonecrunching Giant in Chapter 5?
8. What happens when the BFG has a drink fo the frobscottle?
9. What happens when Bloodbottler eats snozzcumber?
10. Why does Sophie jump back into her bed and hide under a blanket at the end of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several different settings in the novel. What are the different settings? How do each of these settings set the tone, atmosphere, and mood in the story?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, both the BFG and Sophie fear one another. Why are they both afraid of the other? How does that fear affect their first interactions? How does their fear of one another dissipate?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie only knows the Queen from hearing her on the radio or seeing her picture. What are some of the things she does when she gets over the nightmare? How does the Queen treat Sophie and the BFG? What do the Queen’s actions reveal about her character and the type of person she is?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)