|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the houses look when Sophie looks out the window in Chapter 1?
2. What happens if a child gets out of bed after lights-out at the beginning of the book?
3. What does the BFG want Sophie to make him so he can ride it?
4. What is the first type of dream that the BFG catches?
5. What is the only thing that grows in giant country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Sophie think the BFG should get food, and why does he not get food from there?
2. What happens shortly after Sophie hides in her bed in Chapter 3?
3. What is a trogglehumper?
4. Why does Sophie jump back into her bed and hide under a blanket at the end of Chapter 2?
5. What do the giants do with the BFG when he comes outside in Chapter 11 to go to Dream Country?
6. Why does the Bloodbottler come to the BFG's cave?
7. What happens when Bloodbottler eats snozzcumber?
8. What happens when the BFG has a drink fo the frobscottle?
9. Where did Sophie live before the BFG kidnapped her and what was it like?
10. What does Sophie think when she tastes the frobscottle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several different settings in the novel. What are the different settings? How do each of these settings set the tone, atmosphere, and mood in the story?
Essay Topic 2
“The BFG” is told from a third-person omniscient point of view. How does the author’s choice to tell the story using that point of view impact the characters and the plot and how both are developed?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie believes that the BFG captures her to eat her. What is Sophie’s perception of the BFG when she first meets him, and how does her view of him change and develop throughout the novel?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)