1. Where is a moonbeam shining in Chapter 1?
(a) Sophie's blanket.
(c) Sophie's pillow.
(d) Corner cupboard.
2. In Chapter 1, how long have the other children been asleep?
(a) Half the night.
(b) Two hours.
(d) 90 minutes.
3. What simile is used to describe the moonbeam in Chapter 1?
(a) Polished dagger.
(b) Ray of sunshine.
(c) Silver blade.
4. What sounds can Sophie hear at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Cars driving by.
(c) Someone walking on the pavement.
(d) Someone whistling.
5. When is the witching hour supposed to occur?
(b) 2 p.m.
(c) Middle of the night.
(d) Toward dawn.
6. For what reasons are children allowed out of bed at the place Sophie lives as the book begins?
(b) If they are sick.
(c) If they can't sleep.
(d) To go to the lavatory.
7. What happens if a child gets out of bed after lights-out at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is whipped.
(b) He is punished.
(c) He has to stand in a corner.
(d) He has his hand slapped with a ruler.
This section contains 3,477 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)