|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims Lexington when his parents are killed?
2. What does the rat catcher put in the bags to catch rats?
3. What worries Mabel shortly after having a baby in "Royal Jelly?"
4. What kind of insect is Albert very interested in?
5. How do Lexington's parents get into the locked house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Bixby try to trick her husband into getting her the mink coat?
2. What is wrong with Mabel's baby in "Royal Jelly," and why is she so concerned about this?
3. In "William and Mary," what does Landy do for William after he dies?
4. What happens when Oswald is at the service station in Cairo?
5. What happens when Lexington visits a packing house?
6. What happens when Jackie wins the race at the tracks?
7. What strange things does Billy notice about the landlady?
8. What does Vic's wife tell him the morning after the switch?
9. What does the ratcatcher say is the best way to catch mice?
10. What kind of factory does Claud want to start and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in these stories. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
Roald Dahl presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the stories and write about their dual natures. Also, include how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Mental illness was a huge theme in many of these stories. What were some prime examples of this, and what messages were being sent in these stories?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)