|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Galloping Foxley," what does Perkins like so much about his commute?
2. What rank does Stag's friend pretend to be when talking to Madame Rosette?
3. How many times did the woman who stopped the South American man lose the bet?
4. How do Klausner and Mrs. Saunders know each other?
5. What does the woman talking to William say she saw when she is taken inside?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Soutine create a work of art on Drioli's back?
2. What does Klausner say his machine is in "The Sound Machine?"
3. What does Klausner ask Scott to do for the tree, and what is Scott's response to this?
4. Why does Stuffy call Madame Rosette in the first place?
5. What happens to the Chippendale commode and why?
6. What does the South American man do to prepare for the bet?
7. In "Dip in the Pool," why does William panic on the cruise ship, and what does he decide to do in response to the panic?
8. How does Mary hide her murder weapon?
9. Why does Louisa think the cat in "Edward the Conqueror" is a reincarnated musician?
10. What does the art dealer offer to pay Drioli to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many characters in these stories who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What were some of these instances, and how were those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
What happened to Lexington, and who do you think was to blame for this tragedy? Please cite evidence from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Sexuality is a theme presented in a number of these stories, and it is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How is this sensitive theme manifested differently throughout the book?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)