|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Perkins has seen Foxley when he appears on the train platform?
2. What does the sailor have to do to win the bet?
3. How many times has the South American man made this bet before?
4. What is strange about the cat that Edward finds in his yard?
5. What is Scott's occupation in "The Sound Machine?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Klausner discovers with his new machine?
2. What is the one thing that makes Mrs. Foster worry?
3. In "The Way Up to Heaven," what does Mrs. Foster realize when she returns from her trip to France?
4. How does Mike and his daughter respond to the news that Richard cheated in the bet?
5. What happens at the end of "Dip in the Pool?"
6. What bet did the South American man make with the sailor in "Man From the South?"
7. What do Stag and Stuffy do for the girls working for Madame Rosette?
8. In "Galloping Foxley," what did Foxley used to do to Perkins?
9. In "Dip in the Pool," why does William panic on the cruise ship, and what does he decide to do in response to the panic?
10. Why does Stuffy call Madame Rosette in the first place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sexuality is a theme presented in a number of these stories, and it is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How is this sensitive theme manifested differently throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What was so symbolic in "Genesis and Catastrophe," and what personal beliefs of the author were being presented in that short story?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in these stories. What stories embodied this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)