|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Englishman meet the South American man?
2. How long was Mrs. Foster in France?
3. In "The Sound Machine," where does Klausner keep the box?
4. What was Klausner doing when his box was smashed?
5. What kind of Chippendale piece do the three men in the country own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman who bursts into the room during the bet say?
2. What does Mike always try to impress Richard with in "Taste?"
3. What does Perkins say he loves about his commute?
4. What happens at the end of "Dip in the Pool?"
5. What are the wagers of the bet between Mike and Richard?
6. What does Klausner ask Scott to do for the tree, and what is Scott's response to this?
7. How does Mike and his daughter respond to the news that Richard cheated in the bet?
8. What does the art dealer offer to pay Drioli to do?
9. How did Soutine create a work of art on Drioli's back?
10. How did Mike cheat in the bet, and how was this discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sexuality is a theme presented in a number of these stories, and it is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How is this sensitive theme manifested differently throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in these stories. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plots they were involved in?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in these stories. What stories embodied this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)