|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hal says the Dr. Waldman doesn't treat an ear or a lung or a leg. He treats _________.
2. What is the name that Francesca gives to Sandy Sherman when they are introducing each other?
3. Who does Hal immediately accuse of being late, though she is not late at all?
4. What does Dr. Gordon feel is too dangerous so Francesca needs to be put into a hospital?
5. While the girls are at the barre, the girls point and ___________ as Madame keeps time for the dancers.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Waldman become mad when he examines Francesca at her father's request?
2. What does Dr. Gordon do in order to be more vigilant about monitoring Francesca and her weight?
3. What makes Francesca's mother frightened for the health of her daughter at the start of this section?
4. When Francesca does not show up for one of her appointments with Sandy Sherman, what does Sandy call her to say?
5. What has happened to Francesca's grades in school at this point of the story?
6. What does Hal have to do in order to take Francesca to her first appointment with Dr. Smith the following Thursday?
7. What does Sandy say will happen if Francesca misses another appointment with him?
8. What does Madame promise to Francesca after she notices her initial weight loss progress?
9. What makes Francesca uncomfortable at the party that she and Julia go to one night?
10. What does Francesca do after her father makes her eat lamb chops for dinner that evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kessa sees herself as a monster in the beginning, pinching her fat and trying to become skinnier and skinnier.
Part 1: Why do you think Kessa sees herself as a monster?
Part 2: Why do you think that Kessa turns away from her original name of Francesca?
Part 3: Do you think that a better family life would have helped Kessa avoid anorexia? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Kessa's dad seems angry that anorexia isn't a disease that can be cured easily.
Part 1: Why do you think that Kessa's dad responded in the way that he did?
Part 2: Do you think that anorexia is a disease which can be cured entirely? What are some obstacles to complete recovery?
Part 3: Why didn't Kessa's mom react with anger in the same way as Kessa's father did?
Essay Topic 3
Kessa is manipulative as well in her situation, vomiting her food when she cannot get out of eating with her family.
Part 1: Why do you think that Kessa must vomit in order to rid herself of food?
Part 2: Do you think that you would be able to purge if you were in Kessa's situation?
Part 3: How do you think Kessa's father could have stopped her? Or would there be no way to stop her from getting rid of her food?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)