Lesson 1 (from Chapters 1 through 3)
Francesca is a 15-year-old who seems to be focused on the way she looks right from the start, comparing her body to a monster. Today's objective is to discuss the idea of body image and how it is used in today's society.
1. Have students make a list of the body parts they like on themselves.
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss whether they think it's a good idea to measure one's self worth based on their appearance.
3. As a class, have the students discuss the idea of image and what it means in society. How are attractive people treated in the world? How are unattractive people treated? Is body image important?
4. Homework: Have students decide whether they think they have been unfairly judged because of their appearance. Why or why not?
5. Homework: Have students decide whether they believe that body image is something that should...
This section contains 5,210 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)