|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 23-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did McNamara say the U.S. would be out of Vietnam, when he visited the country?
(a) By the end of 1968.
(b) By 1970.
(c) By the end of 1965.
(d) By the beginning of 1966.
2. What does Halberstam say marked the end of the generals' faith in Diem?
(a) The drought and subsequent humanitarian crisis.
(b) The raid on the pagodas.
(c) The backlash against the army after the botched raids on the pagodas.
(d) The influence of American interests on Diem's government.
3. How many troops were in Vietnam when Kennedy was assassinated?
4. What does Halberstam say was the state of tensions within the White House as involvement in Vietnam escalated?
(a) Aides gathered around Kennedy's will.
(b) Long and open debates brought new ideas to the policies.
(c) There were many disagreements.
(d) Anyone who disagreed with Kennedy was removed.
5. Who does Halberstam say remained loyal to Diem when the coup began?
(a) The people.
(b) The southern part of the country.
(c) The Palace Guard.
(d) The merchants.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which issue does Halberstam say the military lost its battle with the White House?
2. What did Johnson say he needed before they could move against the North?
3. What rule does Halberstam say Kennedy was following in trying to appoint a Secretary of State?
4. What policy did Rostow support in Vietnam?
5. Where was the war going badly, at the time when the White House was losing faith in Diem?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)