|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 23-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did President Johnson authorize bombing attacks on North Vietnam, in Halberstam's account?
(a) He believed that if Vietnam went Communist, the rest of the region would turn Communist as well.
(b) He thought that breaking Vietcong resistance would create trade opportunities for American companies.
(c) He thought that bombing was a final resort, and after it failed, he could strategically withdraw.
(d) He thought that an overwhelming display of force would convince other nations in the region to accept American influence.
2. What issue had Kennedy and Dean Rusk had to discuss when Dean Rusk was offered the Secretary of State job?
(a) Personal morality.
(b) Family values.
(c) Rusk's Judaism.
3. How does Halberstam say Kennedy was feeling about the war at the beginning of Chapter 15?
4. Why was Chester Bowles assigned to a different position?
(a) He had quarreled with Bobby Kennedy over who was in charge in Kennedy's absence.
(b) He had leaked confidential information to the press.
(c) He had disgraced himself by having an affair with one of his pages.
(d) He had been caught saying embarrassing things on an open mic.
5. What does Halberstam say Kennedy had done in response to the meeting with Russians in Vienna?
(a) He removed troops from Poland.
(b) He sent an advisory committee to Vietnam.
(c) He increased troop strength in Berlin.
(d) He reduced America's nuclear arsenal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the war going badly, at the time when the White House was losing faith in Diem?
2. Why didn't Kennedy offer the position of Secretary of State to McGeorge Bundy?
3. Whose theories had been used as the basis for expanded militarization in the late 1940s?
4. What does Halberstam say was Robert McNamara's role in the White House policy discussions?
5. What movement regarding the war does Halberstam say started at the University of California in Berkeley?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)