|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 23-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Robert Lovett represent for Kennedy?
(a) A brilliant theoretical thinker.
(b) A link to previous administrations.
(c) A connection with the opposition.
(d) A bright new talent.
2. What happened in the Gulf of Tonkin as a part of 34A?
(a) An American plane was shot down by Russian Migs.
(b) An American ship was torpedoed.
(c) The VIetcong launched missiles at an American plane.
(d) An American ship sunk a North Vietnamese PT boat.
3. On which issue does Halberstam say Kennedy compromised with the military?
(a) Free fire zones.
(b) The use of jets.
(c) Bombing in the north.
(d) The use of napalm.
4. What plan was the U.S. government preparing for by the end of 1964?
(a) Have the South take military action against the North.
(b) Strike directly against China.
(c) Have Cambodia and Laos intervene.
(d) Bring in a coalition of forces against the Vietcong.
5. What issue did Joseph McCarthy use to energize voters?
(a) Tax cuts.
(b) Civil rights.
(c) Arms reduction.
(d) Communism conspiracies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What policy did Rostow support in Vietnam?
2. What were Diem and Nhu's politics relative to the Vietnamese population's politics?
3. What does Halberstam say McNamara tried to do with his fact-finding missions to Vietnam?
4. How many soldiers had the U.S. sent to Vietnam in its first commitment of troops?
5. Who was the only administration insider arguing against escalation?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)