|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers had the U.S. sent to Vietnam in its first commitment of troops?
(a) 20,000 troops.
(b) 100,000 troops.
(c) 400 Special forces and 3,000 troops.
(d) 8 military advisers.
2. Which issue was NOT confronting the nation when the Kennedy administration took office?
(a) Civil rights.
(c) China policy.
3. Whose input did the French and Americans ignore about Vietnam, in Halberstam's account?
(a) Military advisers.
(c) Lower-level officers.
4. Why hadn't Roosevelt stopped the French from returning to Indochina after the war, in Halberstam's account?
(a) He did not have the authority to.
(b) He needed France for its support of American monetary policy.
(c) There was no post-war plan to prevent them.
(d) He could not get a censure from the United Nations.
5. What rule does Halberstam say Kennedy was following in trying to appoint a Secretary of State?
(a) Someone who didn't look back at bad decisions, but plowed ahead.
(b) Someone who had a strong intuition.
(c) Someone who had not made many mistakes or offended too many people.
(d) Someone who had learned from his mistakes and had diplomatic experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did the Kennedy administration take with regard to nuclear disarmament?
2. How big a margin did Kennedy win the presidency by?
3. How does Halberstam say Lyndon Johnson felt in the Kennedy administration?
4. How does Halberstam say Dean Rusk felt in the Kennedy administration?
5. Which situation had the biggest effect on the Kennedy administration in 1961?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)