|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 23-24.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Americans back down on demands for reform in Vietnam in 1962, in Halberstam's account?
(a) Diem could not afford reforms.
(b) Diem had begun to renege on his promises.
(c) They lost confidence that reforms could be implemented.
(d) Reforms had already been accomplished.
2. What mistake had the Kennedy administration made in the Bay of Pigs invasion?
(a) They had not seen that the Cuban people were not opposed to Castro.
(b) They had not supplied enough men and material.
(c) They had underestimated the logistical difficulties of a landing.
(d) They had not checked the weather for the invasion.
3. What does Halberstam say was Lyndon Johnson's feeling about the coup?
(a) He turned a blind eye to it.
(b) He opposed it.
(c) He endorsed it.
(d) He proposed it.
4. How does Halberstam say Kennedy was feeling about the war at the beginning of Chapter 15?
5. Whose theories had been used as the basis for expanded militarization in the late 1940s?
(a) George Kennan's.
(b) Robert McNamara's.
(c) Chester Bowles'.
(d) McGeorge Bundy's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halberstam say was the Joint Chiefs of Staff's perception of the problem in Vietnam?
2. Why does Halberstam say that September and October of 1963 were good for the Kennedy administration?
3. What state does Halberstam say the Vietcong were in when Kennedy sent the fact-finding mission in 1961?
4. What does Halberstam say Maxwell Taylor discovered was true about Khanh?
5. Who traveled to Vietnam after the 1965 inauguration?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)