|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What issue did Joseph McCarthy use to energize voters?
(a) Communism conspiracies.
(b) Civil rights.
(c) Tax cuts.
(d) Arms reduction.
2. Why didn't Kennedy offer the position of Secretary of State to J. William Fulbright?
(a) Fulbright was too old and conservative.
(b) Fulbright had some unresolved scandals in his past.
(c) Fublright was too young and inexperienced.
(d) Fulbright did not have the support of Negroes or Jews.
3. What does Halberstam say Americans were united about in the early 1960s?
(a) The need to establish military supremacy.
(b) The need to grant civil rights.
(c) The need to fight Communism.
(d) The need to balance the budget.
4. What did Kennedy represent to Eleanor Roosevelt's followers?
(b) Old guard.
(c) The new breed.
5. How does Halberstam say Dean Rusk felt in the Kennedy administration?
(a) He always felt like an outsider.
(b) He felt like the smartest of the bunch.
(c) He felt like a new kid without enough respect.
(d) He felt like the spokesman of the party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Kennedy offer the position of Secretary of State to David Bruce?
2. Where does the book open?
3. What policies had Robert Lovett been involved in crafting?
4. What position had Robert Lovett been appointed to in 1947?
5. What does Halberstam say was the problem with the Kennedy administration's pragmatism?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)