|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did McNamara say the U.S. would be out of Vietnam, when he visited the country?
(a) By the beginning of 1966.
(b) By 1970.
(c) By the end of 1965.
(d) By the end of 1968.
2. What does Halberstam say happened that threatened the relationship between Diem and the Buddhists?
(a) Diem and Nhu retreated into aristocratic aloofness.
(b) Diem reneged on his promises.
(c) The people backed the Buddhists against Diem.
(d) The Buddhists expanded their protests.
3. Who was named to head the U.S. command in Saigon in January 1962?
(a) Paul Harkins.
(b) Robert McNamara.
(c) Maxwell Taylor.
(d) Chester Bowles.
4. What was the recommendation that came out of the fact-finding mission of 1961?
(a) That the U.S. send 8,000 troops.
(b) That the U.S. commit military advisers.
(c) That the U.S. commit 20,000 troops.
(d) That the U.S. send 100,000 troops.
5. What rule does Halberstam say Kennedy was following in trying to appoint a Secretary of State?
(a) Someone who had a strong intuition.
(b) Someone who had learned from his mistakes and had diplomatic experience.
(c) Someone who had not made many mistakes or offended too many people.
(d) Someone who didn't look back at bad decisions, but plowed ahead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue had Kennedy and Dean Rusk had to discuss when Dean Rusk was offered the Secretary of State job?
2. What does Halberstam say was the problem with the Kennedy administration's pragmatism?
3. What policy did Rostow support in Vietnam?
4. What does Halberstam say was the result of the Thanksgiving Day Massacre?
5. What does Halberstam say Americans were united about in the early 1960s?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)