|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Key"?
2. In "Gesturing," on what do Richard and Joan agree?
3. Who wrote "You're Ugly, Too"?
4. In "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" where does Connie say she is going with her friends?
5. In "Gesturing" what does Richard see etched in glass?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Shawl" does Stella feel guilt for causing the death of her baby sister?
2. Assuming that Connie is assaulted by Arnold after "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" ends, do you think that Connie would have reported the rape?
3. In "A City of Churches" what does Cecilia say she will do that the townspeople won't like?
4. In "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" what does Connie usually do with her friends?
5. How does Connie feel about her family in "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
6. Do you think there is an actual City of Churches somewhere?
7. What does Zoe know about the pain in her abdomen in "You're Ugly, Too"?
8. Do you think that Connie did the right thing by going with Arnold in "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
9. Compare and contrast Connie and her sister June in "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
10. In "Janus" how is Andrea two-faced when she is with her lover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the appearances of religion within "The Key" and "A City of Churches." How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the similarities and differences between men and women regarding love and lust as portrayed throughout the century.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance and meaning of the title "Janus."
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)