|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A City of Churches" Cecilia works for ____________.
2. In "You're Ugly, Too" what is the name of Zoe's sister?
3. In "You're Ugly, Too" what is Zoe's profession?
4. In "The Key" Bessie thinks _______________ live in her neighborhood.
5. In "The Rotifer" what color hair did the woman in the taxi cab have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What measure does Zoe take to not offend her sister in "You're Ugly, Too"?
2. Why do you think that Bessie dies at the end of "The Key"?
3. Why doesn't Zoe get fired from her job in "You're Ugly, Too"?
4. In "A City of Churches" why doesn't Cecilia seem to be afraid of the town and its people?
5. In "The Key" how did Bessie's life used to be?
6. In "The Shawl" does Stella feel guilt for causing the death of her baby sister?
7. In "Janus" how is Andrea two-faced when she is with her lover?
8. In "The Gesturing" what do Joan and Ruth have in common?
9. Do you feel that the subject matter of "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" is still relevant today?
10. In "The Rotifer" where does the narrator first see her cousin's fiance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss various author's use of symbolism throughout the text. How is it effective in enriching the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance and meaning of the title "Janus."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the elements of sexuality within "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin" and "A Country Husband."
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)