|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rotifer" what is the fiance's name?
2. In "A City of Churches" Cecilia works for ____________.
3. In "The Shawl" what does the shawl conceal?
4. In "Birthmates" who is Art's birthmate?
5. In "The Rotifer" what happens to the cousin's relationship with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the motel in "Birthmates."
2. Compare and contrast Connie and her sister June in "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
3. Do you feel that the subject matter of "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" is still relevant today?
4. In "The Rotifer" where does the narrator first see her cousin's fiance?
5. In "The Shawl" how does the garment feed both Magda and her mother?
6. Assuming that Connie is assaulted by Arnold after "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" ends, do you think that Connie would have reported the rape?
7. In "The Gesturing" does Richard still love Joan? How can you tell?
8. In "The Rotifer" do you think that the narrator should have told her cousin about her cheating fiance?
9. Do you think that Connie did the right thing by going with Arnold in "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
10. In "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" what does Connie usually do with her friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the main character in "You're Ugly, Too" is a miserable person who is possibly facing cancer, the story does contain some comic relief such as the Halloween costumes worn by the characters. Cite other examples of comic relief from within the text and explain how it enhances the story and why it is necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what you believe the gift is in "The Christmas Gift." Support your argument with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the dissatisfaction in the lives of Zoe of "You're Ugly, Too" and Art of "Birthmates." Include the following elements:
a) Romantic relationships
b) Professional relationships
d) Social interactions
e) Degree of being jaded
Be sure include evidence from the text.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)