|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "You're Ugly, Too" what costume does Zoe wear to the Halloween party?
2. In "A City of Churches" what do the citizens tell Cecilia they will not do?
3. In "Birthmates" whom does Art talk to at the conference?
4. In "The Key" Bessie thinks _______________ live in her neighborhood.
5. Who wrote "Janus"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Gesturing" does Richard still love Joan? How can you tell?
2. Compare and contrast Connie and her sister June in "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
3. In "A City of Churches" why doesn't Cecilia seem to be afraid of the town and its people?
4. Why doesn't Zoe get fired from her job in "You're Ugly, Too"?
5. How does Connie feel about her family in "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
6. Why do you think that Bessie dies at the end of "The Key"?
7. In "Janus" how is Andrea two-faced when she is with her lover?
8. In "The Rotifer" where does the narrator first see her cousin's fiance?
9. Describe Earl and Zoe's costumes in "You're Ugly, Too" and how they are relevant to the story.
10. Do you feel that the subject matter of "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" is still relevant today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the idea of familial obligation as it appears in "The Rotifer" and "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
Essay Topic 2
Many of the writers within the compilation are world-renowned authors. Select an author from the anthology and explore the following in an essay:
a) Describe their place in history as a writer.
b) Explain why he/she was and still is pivotal to contemporary literature.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what you believe the gift is in "The Christmas Gift." Support your argument with evidence from the text.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)