|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "That in Aleppo Once..."?
2. Who wrote "Christmas Gift"?
3. In "The Killers" what is the name of the location that the first part of the story takes place?
4. In "The Killers" who goes to warn Ole that people want to kill him?
5. In "Wild Plums" what does the narrator's mother say wild plums taste like?
Short Essay Questions
1. When "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin" and "The Country Husband" were first published, how controversial was the subject matter?
2. In "Christmas Gift" why do you suppose the father stopped complaining about the half-sister staying with the family?
3. In "Christmas Gift" what is the gift?
4. In "That In Aleppo Once..." who is V.?
5. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," do you think the main character is mentally ill? Why?
6. Describe the evidence that the family in "Christmas Gift" are second-class citizens.
7. In "That in Aleppo Once..." do you think the wife ever actually existed?
8. In "The Killers" why doesn't the author tell the reader why Ole Anderson is going to be murdered?
9. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what does the wife do to hurt her husband?
10. In "The Second Tree from the Corner," what are Mr. Trexler's bizarre thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what you believe the gift is in "The Christmas Gift." Support your argument with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the appearances of religion within "The Key" and "A City of Churches." How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
Essay Topic 3
Explore and describe the appearance and roles of social class issues within a specific work. How do they affect the story? Include the following elements:
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)