|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "That in Aleppo Once..." to whom are the letters written?
2. In "The Country Husband" Francis responds rudely to a neighbor. What was she trying to talk to him about?
3. In "The Killers" why do the two killers enter a particular public place?
4. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," the family is waiting onshore for ____________.
5. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what mode of transportation is taken on the way to the honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Wild Plums" why do the narrator's parents not want her to pick plums?
2. Why do you think the murderers in "The Killers" belittle the restaurant patrons and take them hostage? Was this necessary?
3. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what does Harris do to try to help the hitch-hikers?
4. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the father do to show he cares for his family?
5. In "That In Aleppo Once..." who is V.?
6. In "The Other Woman" do you think that the man truly loved his wife?
7. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what does the guitar mean to each of the characters?
8. In "Christmas Gift" what is the gift?
9. In the end of, "That in Aleppo Once..." why is the narrator unhappy?
10. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what does the wife do to hurt her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of predator and prey within "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?".
Essay Topic 2
In "The Shawl," the Nazi soldiers exhibit a shocking lack of compassion throughout the story, while the subject matter and events evoke strong compassionate emotions from the reader. Explore and discuss the use of compassion to relay the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what you believe the gift is in "The Christmas Gift." Support your argument with evidence from the text.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)