|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Theft" what is the main character's name?
2. In "The Country Husband" who listens to Francis tell about the event that has just happened?
3. In "That in Aleppo Once..." to whom are the letters written?
4. In "The Other Woman" what important recognition has the storyteller received?
5. Who wrote "My Dead Brother Comes to America"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "My Dead Brother comes to America," why do the authorities hesitate to let the family off the ship?
2. In the end of, "That in Aleppo Once..." why is the narrator unhappy?
3. In "The Country Husband" how does Julia make herself happy?
4. In "The Country Husband" what does Francis' recollection of the maid add to the story?
5. Why do you think that Francis becomes obsessed with the babysitter in "A Country Husband"?
6. In "The Killers" why doesn't the author tell the reader why Ole Anderson is going to be murdered?
7. Why do you think the mistress in "The Other Woman" agreed to the affair?
8. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what does the guitar mean to each of the characters?
9. In "The Other Woman" do you think that the man truly loved his wife?
10. How is "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin" a story about coming of age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the idea of familial obligation as it appears in "The Rotifer" and "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of an unreliable narrator and how this is used in "That in Aleppo Once..."
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the dissatisfaction in the lives of Zoe of "You're Ugly, Too" and Art of "Birthmates." Include the following elements:
a) Romantic relationships
b) Professional relationships
d) Social interactions
e) Degree of being jaded
Be sure include evidence from the text.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)