|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Christmas Gift" who gives the boy a cigarette?
2. In "Theft" what is the main character's name?
3. In "Theft" the thief is stealing for ____________.
4. In "The Other Woman," in front of whom does the storyteller cry?
5. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does Mr. Trexler deny having?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Wild Plums" why do the narrator's parents not want her to pick plums?
2. In "The Country Husband" how does Julia make herself happy?
3. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the father do to show he cares for his family?
4. Describe the young woman in "Theft."
5. In "The Other Woman" do you think that the man truly loved his wife?
6. In "My Dead Brother comes to America," why do the authorities hesitate to let the family off the ship?
7. In "Wild Plums" why did the young girl want to pick plums?
8. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what does the guitar mean to each of the characters?
9. In "Christmas Gift" what is the gift?
10. How is Richard compassionate in "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Shawl," the Nazi soldiers exhibit a shocking lack of compassion throughout the story, while the subject matter and events evoke strong compassionate emotions from the reader. Explore and discuss the use of compassion to relay the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two women's sense of entitlement in "Theft."
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the subject matter of "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin" was controversial when it was first written.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)