|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Wild Plums" what was the Slump family supposed to return on their way to the woods?
2. In "The Country Husband" how does Francis assault Julia?
3. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does Mr. Trexler travel several blocks without doing?
4. In "The Other Woman" what is the name of the storyteller?
5. In "The Country Husband" what event happens at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Second Tree from the Corner," what are Mr. Trexler's bizarre thoughts?
2. In "Wild Plums" why did the young girl want to pick plums?
3. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what does the guitar mean to each of the characters?
4. In "Wild Plums" why do the narrator's parents not want her to pick plums?
5. In "My Dead Brother comes to America," why do the authorities hesitate to let the family off the ship?
6. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what does Harris do to try to help the hitch-hikers?
7. Describe the marriage between Julia and Francis in "The Country Husband."
8. Compare and contrast the janitress and the young woman in "Theft."
9. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what does the wife do to hurt her husband?
10. Why do you think that Francis becomes obsessed with the babysitter in "A Country Husband"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the appearances of religion within "The Key" and "A City of Churches." How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the coming of age theme within "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin."
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the dissatisfaction in the lives of Zoe of "You're Ugly, Too" and Art of "Birthmates." Include the following elements:
a) Romantic relationships
b) Professional relationships
d) Social interactions
e) Degree of being jaded
Be sure include evidence from the text.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)