|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Other Woman" what important recognition has the storyteller received?
(a) He was voted "Man of the Year."
(b) He caught a wanted criminal and received a reward.
(c) He was appointed to a government position and recognized for his poetry.
(d) He became head bishop.
2. In "Wild Plums" what does the narrator's mother say wild plums taste like?
(d) Raw beets.
3. Who wrote "My Dead Brother Comes to America"?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) E.B. White.
(c) Sherwood Anderson.
(d) Alexander Godin.
4. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin", what does Miss Aehle say about Richard and the sister?
(a) They are dating.
(b) They are musical prodigies.
(c) They look alike.
(d) They have no talent.
5. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," the family is waiting onshore for ____________.
(a) The mother.
(b) A priest.
(c) A policeman.
(d) The father.
6. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin,", how old is Richard?
7. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the family do after they are all in the new home?
(a) Throws a party.
(c) Makes dinner.
8. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what instrument does Richard play?
9. In "Wild Plums" why does the narrator's father visit the Slump property?
(a) To retrieve his plow.
(b) To go pluming.
(c) To arrange his daughter's marriage.
(d) To collect rent.
10. In "Wild Plums" what was the Slump family supposed to return on their way to the woods?
(a) The bicycle.
(b) The jam jars.
(c) The plums.
(d) The plow.
11. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what does the boy turn to after he realizes he is losing his best friend?
(d) Horseback riding.
12. Who wrote "Theft"?
(a) Sam Collins.
(b) Katherine Anne Porter.
(c) Fannie Flagg.
(d) Dorothy Parker.
13. Who wrote "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin"?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Bob Hope.
(c) Augusten Burroughs.
(d) Tennessee Williams.
14. In "Christmas Gift" who gives the boy a cigarette?
(a) The storekeeper.
(b) The doctor.
(c) A bum.
(d) The priest.
15. In "The Country Husband" Francis had been in the __________.
(d) Air Force.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," whom does Mr. Trexler visit?
2. In "Theft" what is the main character's name?
3. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does Mr. Trexler deny having?
4. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," the family is coming from ___________________.
5. Who wrote "Wild Plums"?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)