|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Country Husband" what event happens at the beginning of the story?
(a) Two people get married.
(b) Someone dies.
(c) A plane crashes.
(d) A house burns down.
2. In "The Other Woman" what important recognition has the storyteller received?
(a) He caught a wanted criminal and received a reward.
(b) He became head bishop.
(c) He was appointed to a government position and recognized for his poetry.
(d) He was voted "Man of the Year."
3. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what does Richard do to hide the sister's mistakes during a recital?
(a) Asks her not to play.
(b) Plays louder.
(c) Plays for her.
(d) Tells her to play softly.
4. In "Theft" what does the main character try to give the thief?
(a) A purse.
(b) A piece of her mind.
(d) A necklace.
5. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what does the wife's former address turn out to be?
(a) A boat slip.
(b) A prison.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A vacant lot.
6. In "The Other Woman" where does the other woman work?
(a) At a cigar store.
(b) An office.
(c) A school.
(d) At a gas station.
7. In "Theft" the thief is stealing for ____________.
(a) Her husband.
(c) Her niece.
(d) Her daughter.
8. In "That in Aleppo Once..." whom does the narrator find on the boat?
(a) His dog.
(b) His wife.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The grocer.
9. In "The Hitch-Hikers" where does Tom Harris take the men?
(a) A church.
(b) A motel.
(c) A funeral.
(d) A wedding.
10. In "The Country Husband" who is Anne?
(a) The babysitter.
(b) Francis' wife.
(c) Francis' daughter.
(d) The maid.
11. In "Theft" who tries to steal from the main character?
(a) A janitress.
(b) A friend.
(c) A lover.
(d) Her mother.
12. In "Theft" what reason does the thief give for stealing?
(a) She didn't steal anything.
(b) Her daughter wanted the necklace.
(c) Her niece is graduating, and young girls need nice things.
(d) She needs money for medicine.
13. Who wrote "The Country Husband"?
(a) John Updike.
(b) Dorothy Parker.
(c) John Cheever.
(d) Jean Stanford.
14. In "Wild Plums" what does the narrator's mother say wild plums taste like?
(b) Raw beets.
15. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," who is the boy's best friend?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Country Husband" Francis had been in the __________.
2. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what does the boy turn to after he realizes he is losing his best friend?
3. Who wrote "The Second Tree From the Corner"?
4. In "Christmas Gift" who is having a baby?
5. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," why is the mother nervous to see the father?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)