|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "The Hitch-Hikers"?
(a) E.B. White.
(b) Augusten Burroughs.
(c) Dorothy Parker.
(d) Eudora Welty.
2. Who wrote "Christmas Gift"?
(a) Robert Penn Warren.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Henry Miller.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
3. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," why is the mother nervous to see the father?
(a) She no longer loves him.
(b) She is always nervous.
(c) She has not told him of the death.
(d) She doesn't like him.
4. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," the boy has a crush on ___________.
(a) Miss Aehle.
(c) His sister.
5. In "The Country Husband" who listens to Francis tell about the event that has just happened?
(b) Francis' children.
(d) No one.
6. Who wrote "The Second Tree From the Corner"?
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) Eudora Welty.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) E.B. White.
7. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the family do after they are all in the new home?
(b) Throws a party.
(d) Makes dinner.
8. In "The Country Husband" who kisses Francis?
(a) The secretary.
(b) The maid.
(c) The neighbor.
9. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what does the boy turn to after he realizes he is losing his best friend?
(c) Horseback riding.
10. In "The Hitch-Hikers" who kills Sanford?
(a) The little boy.
(c) Tom Harris.
(d) He kills himself.
11. In "That in Aleppo Once..." whom does the narrator find on the boat?
(a) His dog.
(b) His wife.
(c) The grocer.
(d) The doctor.
12. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what color is the guitar?
13. In "Theft" what reason does the thief give for stealing?
(a) Her niece is graduating, and young girls need nice things.
(b) She didn't steal anything.
(c) She needs money for medicine.
(d) Her daughter wanted the necklace.
14. In "The Hitch-Hikers" who gives away the guitar?
(a) Tom Harris.
(b) The motel owner.
15. In "Wild Plums" why does the narrator's father visit the Slump property?
(a) To collect rent.
(b) To retrieve his plow.
(c) To go pluming.
(d) To arrange his daughter's marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Killers"?
2. In "The Killers" what is the name of the location that the first part of the story takes place?
3. In "Wild Plums" what does the narrator's mother say wild plums taste like?
4. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin,", how old is Richard?
5. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does the doctor want?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)