|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Wild Plums" what does the narrator's mother say wild plums taste like?
(b) Raw beets.
2. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," the family is waiting onshore for ____________.
(a) A priest.
(b) The mother.
(c) A policeman.
(d) The father.
3. Who wrote "The Second Tree From the Corner"?
(a) William Faulkner.
(b) E.B. White.
(c) Eudora Welty.
(d) William Shakespeare.
4. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what makes Mr. Trexler happy?
(a) Feeling the sun in his face.
(b) Knowing he doesn't want the same things as the doctor.
(c) French fries.
5. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," whom does Mr. Trexler visit?
(a) An obstetrician.
(b) A podiatrist.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) A cardiologist.
6. In "Christmas Gift" what does the storekeeper give the boy?
(b) A sandwich.
(d) A spitwad.
7. In "The Country Husband" Francis had been in the __________.
(d) Air Force.
8. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what does the boy turn to after he realizes he is losing his best friend?
(c) Horseback riding.
9. In "The Country Husband" who kisses Francis?
(b) The maid.
(c) The secretary.
(d) The neighbor.
10. In "The Killers" what is the name of the location that the first part of the story takes place?
(c) St. Mary's.
(d) Pershing Middle School.
11. In "That in Aleppo Once..." to whom are the letters written?
12. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the family do after they are all in the new home?
(c) Throws a party.
(d) Makes dinner.
13. Who wrote "That in Aleppo Once..."?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Bob Smith.
(c) Vladimir Nabokov.
(d) Tom Harris.
14. In "Wild Plums" why does the narrator's father visit the Slump property?
(a) To arrange his daughter's marriage.
(b) To collect rent.
(c) To retrieve his plow.
(d) To go pluming.
15. In "The Killers" why do the two men want to kill Ole Anderson?
(a) Ole owes money to his bookie.
(b) Ole killed their brother.
(c) The reader is not told.
(d) Ole is a Communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what instrument does the sister play?
2. In "The Country Husband" who listens to Francis tell about the event that has just happened?
3. Who wrote "Theft"?
4. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what mode of transportation is taken on the way to the honeymoon?
5. In "The Hitch-Hikers" who receives the guitar in the end?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)