|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what happens to Richard?
(a) He becomes a priest.
(b) He dies.
(c) He goes crazy.
(d) He marries the sister.
2. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does Mr. Trexler deny having?
(a) A child.
(b) Chest pains.
(c) Flat feet.
(d) Bizarre thoughts.
3. Who wrote "The Hitch-Hikers"?
(a) Dorothy Parker.
(b) E.B. White.
(c) Eudora Welty.
(d) Augusten Burroughs.
4. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what does Richard do to hide the sister's mistakes during a recital?
(a) Tells her to play softly.
(b) Plays louder.
(c) Plays for her.
(d) Asks her not to play.
5. Who wrote "That in Aleppo Once..."?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Bob Smith.
(c) Tom Harris.
(d) Vladimir Nabokov.
6. In "The Country Husband" Francis responds rudely to a neighbor. What was she trying to talk to him about?
(a) Car troubles.
(b) Hair tonic.
(c) Cake recipes.
7. In "Wild Plums" what does the Slump family throw to the narrator?
(b) Wild plums.
(c) A handful of rocks.
(d) A bible.
8. In "The Country Husband" what event happens at the beginning of the story?
(a) Someone dies.
(b) A plane crashes.
(c) Two people get married.
(d) A house burns down.
9. In "Theft" what does the main character try to give the thief?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A purse.
(d) A piece of her mind.
10. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," whom does Mr. Trexler visit?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) A cardiologist.
(c) A podiatrist.
(d) An obstetrician.
11. In "The Country Husband" what does Julia love to do?
(b) Go to dinner parties.
12. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," why is the mother nervous to see the father?
(a) She has not told him of the death.
(b) She doesn't like him.
(c) She no longer loves him.
(d) She is always nervous.
13. In "Theft" why did the thief enter the main character's apartment?
(a) To clean.
(b) To have breakfast.
(c) To visit.
(d) To check the radiator.
14. Who wrote "The Second Tree From the Corner"?
(a) E.B. White.
(b) Eudora Welty.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) William Shakespeare.
15. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," how does the family lose contact with Richard?
(a) Richard refuses to return their calls.
(b) Richard goes to college out of state.
(c) The family moves away.
(d) They have an argument and never speak again.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," who is the boy's best friend?
2. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," the boy has a crush on ___________.
3. In "Christmas Gift" what does the storekeeper give the boy?
4. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what color is the guitar?
5. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does Mr. Trexler travel several blocks without doing?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)