|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Country Husband" Francis responds rudely to a neighbor. What was she trying to talk to him about?
(a) Hair tonic.
(c) Car troubles.
(d) Cake recipes.
2. In "The Other Woman" what is the name of the storyteller?
(c) We are not told.
3. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," the sister has a crush on ______________.
(a) Her brother.
4. Who wrote "Christmas Gift"?
(a) Robert Penn Warren.
(b) Henry Miller.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
5. In "That in Aleppo Once..." the wife cries for __________.
(a) Her family.
(c) A cat.
(d) A dog.
6. In "Wild Plums" what was the Slump family supposed to return on their way to the woods?
(a) The plums.
(b) The jam jars.
(c) The bicycle.
(d) The plow.
7. In "Theft" why did the thief enter the main character's apartment?
(a) To visit.
(b) To clean.
(c) To have breakfast.
(d) To check the radiator.
8. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what mode of transportation is taken on the way to the honeymoon?
9. In "The Other Woman" what is about to happen in the storyteller's life?
(a) He will soon be married.
(b) He will attend a funeral.
(c) He will soon be divorced.
(d) He will become a priest.
10. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," the boy has a crush on ___________.
(a) Miss Aehle.
(d) His sister.
11. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does Mr. Trexler travel several blocks without doing?
(a) Having bizarre thoughts.
(b) Yelling at his son.
(c) Having chest pains.
(d) Getting a blister.
12. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin", what does Miss Aehle say about Richard and the sister?
(a) They look alike.
(b) They are dating.
(c) They are musical prodigies.
(d) They have no talent.
13. In "Wild Plums" what does the Slump family throw to the narrator?
(b) A handful of rocks.
(c) A bible.
(d) Wild plums.
14. In "The Other Woman" what important recognition has the storyteller received?
(a) He was appointed to a government position and recognized for his poetry.
(b) He became head bishop.
(c) He was voted "Man of the Year."
(d) He caught a wanted criminal and received a reward.
15. Who wrote "Wild Plums"?
(a) Fannie Flagg.
(b) Joyce Carol Oates.
(c) Jackie Kennedy.
(d) Grace Stone Coates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "That in Aleppo Once..."?
2. In "Wild Plums" why does the young girl jump off her father's carriage?
3. In "The Country Husband" what does Francis buy for Anne?
4. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," whom does Mr. Trexler visit?
5. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what does the wife's former address turn out to be?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)