|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Christmas Gift" why does Sill enter the store?
(a) To buy sugar.
(b) He sees his father through the window.
(c) To get warm.
(d) He is hurt and needs help.
2. Who wrote "The Other Woman"?
(a) Maya Angelou.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) John Smith.
(d) Sherwood Anderson.
3. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what makes Mr. Trexler happy?
(a) French fries.
(c) Feeling the sun in his face.
(d) Knowing he doesn't want the same things as the doctor.
4. Who wrote "Wild Plums"?
(a) Jackie Kennedy.
(b) Grace Stone Coates.
(c) Joyce Carol Oates.
(d) Fannie Flagg.
5. In "The Country Husband" what does Francis buy for Anne?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A cat.
(d) A car.
6. In "Christmas Gift" who gives the boy a cigarette?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The storekeeper.
(c) The priest.
(d) A bum.
7. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," why is the mother nervous to see the father?
(a) She no longer loves him.
(b) She has not told him of the death.
(c) She doesn't like him.
(d) She is always nervous.
8. Who wrote "That in Aleppo Once..."?
(a) Tom Harris.
(b) Vladimir Nabokov.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Bob Smith.
9. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what does Richard do to hide the sister's mistakes during a recital?
(a) Asks her not to play.
(b) Plays louder.
(c) Plays for her.
(d) Tells her to play softly.
10. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what does the boy turn to after he realizes he is losing his best friend?
(d) Horseback riding.
11. In "The Killers" what does Ole Anderson do when he learns that people want to kill him?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He shoots the messenger.
(c) He jumps up and packs his suitcase.
(d) He continues to lie in bed.
12. In "That in Aleppo Once..." what does the wife's former address turn out to be?
(a) A vacant lot.
(b) A boat slip.
(c) A prison.
(d) A grocery store.
13. In "Christmas Gift" what does the storekeeper give the boy?
(c) A sandwich.
(d) A spitwad.
14. In "Theft" what reason does the thief give for stealing?
(a) She needs money for medicine.
(b) Her niece is graduating, and young girls need nice things.
(c) Her daughter wanted the necklace.
(d) She didn't steal anything.
15. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," how did the brother die?
(a) In the war.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) He choked on a peanut.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," the family is coming from ___________________.
2. In "The Killers" why do the two killers enter a particular public place?
3. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin", what does Miss Aehle say about Richard and the sister?
4. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what color is the guitar?
5. Who wrote "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin"?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)