|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Theft" what is the main character's name?
(d) We are not told.
2. Who wrote "The Other Woman"?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Maya Angelou.
(c) Sherwood Anderson.
(d) John Smith.
3. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what does the family do after they are all in the new home?
(b) Makes dinner.
(c) Throws a party.
4. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," whom does Mr. Trexler visit?
(a) An obstetrician.
(b) A podiatrist.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) A cardiologist.
5. In "The Other Woman," in front of whom does the storyteller cry?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His fiancee and wedding guests.
(c) The other woman.
(d) His co-workers.
6. In "That in Aleppo Once..." whom does the narrator find on the boat?
(a) The grocer.
(b) His dog.
(c) His wife.
(d) The doctor.
7. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what makes Mr. Trexler happy?
(a) French fries.
(c) Knowing he doesn't want the same things as the doctor.
(d) Feeling the sun in his face.
8. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what mode of transportation does Mr. Trexler use?
(a) He walks.
(b) A taxi.
(c) The bus.
(d) A bike.
9. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," why is the mother nervous to see the father?
(a) She is always nervous.
(b) She has not told him of the death.
(c) She doesn't like him.
(d) She no longer loves him.
10. In "Christmas Gift" who is having a baby?
(a) The family dog.
(b) The neighbor's wife.
(c) The boy's sister.
(d) The boy's mother.
11. In "The Other Woman" what important recognition has the storyteller received?
(a) He became head bishop.
(b) He was appointed to a government position and recognized for his poetry.
(c) He was voted "Man of the Year."
(d) He caught a wanted criminal and received a reward.
12. Who wrote "My Dead Brother Comes to America"?
(a) Sherwood Anderson.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) E.B. White.
(d) Alexander Godin.
13. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does Mr. Trexler want?
(a) A drink.
(b) Unobtainable and unexplainable things.
(c) A hospital wing.
(d) A car.
14. In "My Dead Brother Comes to America," what has the father gotten for all the children?
(a) New hats and clothes.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) Savings bonds.
15. In "The Country Husband" who is Anne?
(a) The babysitter.
(b) Francis' wife.
(c) Francis' daughter.
(d) The maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Wild Plums" who asks the young girl to go pluming?
2. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what instrument does Richard play?
3. In "The Killers" where does the first part of the story take place?
4. In "The Hitch-Hikers" what does Sobby try to steal?
5. Who wrote "Wild Plums"?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)