|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what makes Mr. Trexler happy?
(b) Feeling the sun in his face.
(c) French fries.
(d) Knowing he doesn't want the same things as the doctor.
2. In "Wild Plums" what does the narrator's mother say wild plums taste like?
(a) Raw beets.
3. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin," what does Richard do to hide the sister's mistakes during a recital?
(a) Plays louder.
(b) Plays for her.
(c) Asks her not to play.
(d) Tells her to play softly.
4. In "Wild Plums" why does the narrator's father visit the Slump property?
(a) To retrieve his plow.
(b) To arrange his daughter's marriage.
(c) To go pluming.
(d) To collect rent.
5. In "Theft" what does the main character try to give the thief?
(b) A necklace.
(c) A piece of her mind.
(d) A purse.
6. In "The Other Woman" the storyteller receives a letter from his fiancee. What does the letter say?
(a) She wants to call off the marriage.
(b) She has cheated on him.
(c) It professes and explains the love she feels for him.
(d) She knows he will cheat on her but she will forgive him.
7. Who wrote "The Hitch-Hikers"?
(a) E.B. White.
(b) Augusten Burroughs.
(c) Dorothy Parker.
(d) Eudora Welty.
8. In "The Killers" why do the two killers enter a particular public place?
(a) Ole Anderson owns the establishment.
(b) Ole Anderson is hiding in the bathroom.
(c) Ole Anderson is supposed to come there.
(d) Ole Anderson just walked by.
9. In "Christmas Gift" the boy is looking for __________.
(a) A priest.
(b) The storekeeper.
(c) The doctor.
(d) His father.
10. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does Mr. Trexler want?
(a) A hospital wing.
(b) A car.
(c) A drink.
(d) Unobtainable and unexplainable things.
11. In "The Country Husband" what event happens at the beginning of the story?
(a) Two people get married.
(b) Someone dies.
(c) A plane crashes.
(d) A house burns down.
12. Who wrote "That in Aleppo Once..."?
(a) Tom Harris.
(b) Vladimir Nabokov.
(c) Bob Smith.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
13. In "The Hitch-Hikers" who kills Sanford?
(a) Tom Harris.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) The little boy.
14. In "The Killers" who goes to warn Ole that people want to kill him?
(a) Bill Withers.
(b) Sam Smadgen.
(c) Nick Adams.
(d) George Proxy.
15. In "Theft" why did the thief enter the main character's apartment?
(a) To have breakfast.
(b) To visit.
(c) To clean.
(d) To check the radiator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Theft"?
2. In "The Second Tree From the Corner," what does the doctor want?
3. In "The Hitch-Hikers" where does Tom Harris take the men?
4. In "Christmas Gift" what is the boy's name?
5. In "The Resemblance Between a Violin Case and a Coffin", what does Miss Aehle say about Richard and the sister?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)