|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Castro despised by, according to Talese in "Ali in Havana"?
2. What does Williams think of the hunters reasoning to hunt in "The Killing Game"?
3. Who does Queenan mention being successful in "Matriculation Fixation"?
4. What kind of art is the Quechan horse in "The Stone Horse"?
5. What small facet does Berry NOT mention "In Distrust of Movements"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
2. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
3. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
4. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
5. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
6. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
7. Describe what Berry's issue with the American people is in "In Distrust of Movements."
8. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
9. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
10. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Exquisite Corpse," by Ashraf Rushdy discusses the photography of African Americans that had been lynched. If James Byrd's lynching had been photographed, how would the country's reaction have compared to the lynching of Emmett Till in 1955?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tangible and intangible role of human existence in the essay "Spring" by Gretel Ehrlich. What and who does Ehrlich mention as she reflects the significance of humans?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the role of the parent in "Silk Parachute" and "The Inheritance of Tools" are similar and different. Does one essay place more importance on the parent?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)