|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wills considering in his essay, "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
2. Who does Queenan mention being successful in "Matriculation Fixation"?
3. What is Halberstam discussing in his essay, "Who Are We"?
4. What magazine is mentioned having a cartoon that is equivalent to shouting fire in "Shouting Fire!"?
5. Why does the last part of Lopez's journey in "The Stone Horse" have to be traveled on foot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
2. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
3. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
4. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
5. Explain why Muhammad Ali was a world icon in the essay "Ali in Havana."
6. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
7. What was the significance of Till's photos circulating and none of Byrd's in "Exquisite Corpse"?
8. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
9. Describe what Queenan thinks about American universities in "Matriculation Fixation"."
10. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between a top-tier university and what Queenan calls a "middling" university and why people prefer a top-tier school.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the antagonist of "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose" by Ian Frazier.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the role that 'secrets' play in the essays, "The Blue Machinery of Summer" and "Book Marks."
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)