|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose rights does Hearne compare to that of humans in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
2. What does Hodgman say is the best tasting, though still slightly bothered by its texture in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
3. What example does Conroy give about a person's realization or application to something in "Think About It"?
4. How is Kincaid different from most other Antiguans in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
5. Who was lynched in 1999 according to Rushdy in "Exquisite Corpse"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
2. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
3. What does Steele say about her black identity in the essay, "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
4. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
5. Describe what Berry's issue with the American people is in "In Distrust of Movements."
6. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
7. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
8. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
9. What does Williams say about the reasons hunters give for hunting in the essay "The Killing Game"?
10. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Exquisite Corpse," by Ashraf Rushdy discusses the photography of African Americans that had been lynched. If James Byrd's lynching had been photographed, how would the country's reaction have compared to the lynching of Emmett Till in 1955?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast what the author's struggles are in the essays, "Westbury Court" and "Mirrorings." Do you see more similarities or differences between the two essays?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the difference between a top-tier university and what Queenan calls a "middling" university and why people prefer a top-tier school.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)