|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Castro despised by, according to Talese in "Ali in Havana"?
2. What does Updike say about the male in "The Disposable Rocket"?
3. Why does the last part of Lopez's journey in "The Stone Horse" have to be traveled on foot?
4. According to Halberstam, between what events does America go to slumber in "Who We Are"?
5. What type of experience does Lopez have when he examines the stone horse in "The Stone Horse"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
2. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
3. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
4. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
5. Describe what Berry's issue with the American people is in "In Distrust of Movements."
6. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
7. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
8. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
9. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
10. Explain why Muhammad Ali was a world icon in the essay "Ali in Havana."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the motivations of Ofri and Tan differ from each other in "Merced" and "Mother Tongue." How are the two alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role that 'secrets' play in the essays, "The Blue Machinery of Summer" and "Book Marks."
Essay Topic 3
Explain the difference between a top-tier university and what Queenan calls a "middling" university and why people prefer a top-tier school.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)