|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say about deer being overpopulated in "The Killing Game"?
2. What was the result on the chicken and beef in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
3. What complicated process is Conroy discussing in "Think About It"?
4. What happened to Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
5. What type of experience does Lopez have when he examines the stone horse in "The Stone Horse"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
2. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
3. Describe Convoy's realization about 'sixths' in "Think About It."
4. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
5. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
6. Describe what Queenan thinks about American universities in "Matriculation Fixation"."
7. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
8. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
9. What was the significance of Till's photos circulating and none of Byrd's in "Exquisite Corpse"?
10. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the essays, "In Distrust of Movement" and "Think About It," what common concern are the authors pointing out? Support your argument with examples from the texts.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the role that 'secrets' play in the essays, "The Blue Machinery of Summer" and "Book Marks."
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Williams' reasons to denounce modern day hunting practices in "The Killing Game." How is her argument beneficial or not beneficial to humans?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)