|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kincaid recall being forced to memorize in school in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
2. What decade did blacks find their identity through social classes in "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
3. What ethical system is Singer addressing in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
4. What happened to Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
5. What does Talese say about Ali in "Ali in Havana"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Muhammad Ali and Fidel Castro's importance as two world wide icons. According to "Ali in Havana" why was it destined for the two to meet?
Essay Topic 2
"Exquisite Corpse," by Ashraf Rushdy discusses the photography of African Americans that had been lynched. If James Byrd's lynching had been photographed, how would the country's reaction have compared to the lynching of Emmett Till in 1955?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the difference between a top-tier university and what Queenan calls a "middling" university and why people prefer a top-tier school.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)