|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hodgman find in her food that made her question the experiment for science's sake in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
2. According to the essay, "Exquisite Corpse" when was lynching prevalent?
3. Why do the hunters hunt according to Williams in "The Killing Game"?
4. What does Conroy realize after meeting with Judge Hand in "Think About It"?
5. What common element does Wills mention having with the penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
2. Describe what Berry's issue with the American people is in "In Distrust of Movements."
3. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
4. Describe what Queenan thinks about American universities in "Matriculation Fixation"."
5. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
6. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
7. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
8. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
9. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
10. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"On Seeing England for the First Time" by Jamaica Kincaid discusses her relation of her nation's identity to England. Do you think your response to that superior country would be the same as Kincaid's or different? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the antagonist of "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose" by Ian Frazier.
Essay Topic 3
How do the motivations of Ofri and Tan differ from each other in "Merced" and "Mother Tongue." How are the two alike? How are they different?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)