|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Talese say about Ali in "Ali in Havana"?
2. Who was brutally murdered in 1955 in "Exquisite Corpse"?
3. What complicated process is Conroy discussing in "Think About It"?
4. What happened to Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
5. What adjective would NOT be best used to describe a utilitarian person in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
2. How does Halberstam see America responding to war in the essay "Who We Are"?
3. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
4. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
5. What was the significance of Till's photos circulating and none of Byrd's in "Exquisite Corpse"?
6. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
7. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
8. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
9. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
10. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the motivations of Ofri and Tan differ from each other in "Merced" and "Mother Tongue." How are the two alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
In the essay, "They All Just Went Away" how is an abandoned house like a decaying corpse?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Muhammad Ali and Fidel Castro's importance as two world wide icons. According to "Ali in Havana" why was it destined for the two to meet?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)