|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Queenan mention being successful in "Matriculation Fixation"?
2. Who was brutally murdered in 1955 in "Exquisite Corpse"?
3. What is the man mentioned being tried for during World War I in "Shouting Fire!"?
4. What did Johnny do to be attacked in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
5. Whose rights does Hearne compare to that of humans in "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
2. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
3. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
4. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
5. What does Updike say about the female body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
6. What does Williams say about the reasons hunters give for hunting in the essay "The Killing Game"?
7. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
8. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
9. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
10. Explain why Muhammad Ali was a world icon in the essay "Ali in Havana."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tangible and intangible role of human existence in the essay "Spring" by Gretel Ehrlich. What and who does Ehrlich mention as she reflects the significance of humans?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Philip Petit from "Turning Point" would say to David Rahm from "The Stunt Pilot"? Consider the risks and artistry in each of their professions.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay, "They All Just Went Away" how is an abandoned house like a decaying corpse?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)