|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the essay, "Exquisite Corpse" when was lynching prevalent?
2. Who outlined the exception to the first amendment in "Shouting Fire!"?
3. What does Wills NOT mention as a way of using the death penalty in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
4. What magazine is mentioned having a cartoon that is equivalent to shouting fire in "Shouting Fire!"?
5. What is Williams discussing in her essay, "The Killing Game"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
2. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
3. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
4. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
5. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
6. What is utilitarianism according to Singer in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
7. What is Kincaid's attitude towards England in "On Seeing England for the First Time"?
8. How does Halberstam see America responding to war in the essay "Who We Are"?
9. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
10. What two things is Wills comparing in "The Dramaturgy of Death"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and describe the religious elements in Barry Lopez's "The Stone Horse."
Essay Topic 2
"On Seeing England for the First Time" by Jamaica Kincaid discusses her relation of her nation's identity to England. Do you think your response to that superior country would be the same as Kincaid's or different? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Muhammad Ali and Fidel Castro's importance as two world wide icons. According to "Ali in Havana" why was it destined for the two to meet?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)