|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result on the chicken and beef in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch"?
2. What happened to Dickerson's nephew Johnny in "Who Shot Johnny?"?
3. What ethical system is Singer addressing in "The Singer Solution to World Poverty"?
4. Who admired Castro, according to Talese in "Ali in Havana"?
5. Who does Queenan mention being successful in "Matriculation Fixation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Updike say about the male body in "The Disposable Rocket"?
2. Describe Hodgman's response to the different foods she tastes in "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
3. What was the significance of Till's photos circulating and none of Byrd's in "Exquisite Corpse"?
4. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
5. Explain why Muhammad Ali was a world icon in the essay "Ali in Havana."
6. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
7. What does Steele say about her black identity in the essay, "On Being Black and Middle Class"?
8. What does Williams say about deer in "The Killing Game"?
9. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
10. Describe what Berry's issue with the American people is in "In Distrust of Movements."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the common reason that Wills mentions in "The Dramaturgy of Death" that people commit suicide.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between a top-tier university and what Queenan calls a "middling" university and why people prefer a top-tier school.
Essay Topic 3
How do the motivations of Ofri and Tan differ from each other in "Merced" and "Mother Tongue." How are the two alike? How are they different?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)