|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Westbury Court," who moves into the apartment down the hall after the lady and her children move out?
2. What happens to change Ofri's state of being in "Merced"?
3. What does McClanahan se from the margins of the previous reader?
4. Who seems to be the previous library book reader of "Book Marks"?
5. Who chastises Komunyakaa for keeping his reasoning for leaving a secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Rhonda's view on hair from the essay "Hair"?
2. Describe the benefits of the penny post in the essay "Mail."
3. How does Tan learn English in "Mother Tongue"?
4. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
5. Why was McPhee thinking of his mother in the "Silk Parachute"?
6. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
7. What does Ehrlich think about Joel in the essay "Spring"?
8. Do you think Ofri realizes she cannot have control over life or death in the essay "Merced"?
9. What does Accawi think about his village becoming a global community in "The Telephone"?
10. How is the style of historical references to time related to the closeness of Accawi's village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering "The Telephone" and "Mail," compare and contrast the benefits of life without the invention of both the telephone and e-mail. How do you think our society would be different without technological advances like cell phones or e-mail?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between a top-tier university and what Queenan calls a "middling" university and why people prefer a top-tier school.
Essay Topic 3
List and describe the religious elements in Barry Lopez's "The Stone Horse."
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)