|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If lack of love is the reason for suicide, what does Hoagland suggest to those who know love?
2. What question is Danticat asking at the end of the essay, "Westbury Court"?
3. When does the lady in the apartment down the hall in "Westbury Court" realize that there is a fire?
4. What is Ehrlich reflecting on in "Spring"?
5. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
2. What does Hoagland say about those who commit suicide in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
3. How does Tan learn English in "Mother Tongue"?
4. What importance does Gates see in one's hairstyle, particularly with blacks in "In the Kitchen"?
5. Do you agree with Rhonda's view on hair from the essay "Hair"?
6. In "Westbury Court" why did the mother of the children not realize their was a fire?
7. Do you think Ofri realizes she cannot have control over life or death in the essay "Merced"?
8. What does Ofri seem to be most concerned with in the essay "Merced"?
9. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
10. What does Hoagland say is the one thing that can prevent suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tangible and intangible role of human existence in the essay "Spring" by Gretel Ehrlich. What and who does Ehrlich mention as she reflects the significance of humans?
Essay Topic 2
List and describe the religious elements in Barry Lopez's "The Stone Horse."
Essay Topic 3
In the essay, "They All Just Went Away" how is an abandoned house like a decaying corpse?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)