|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grealy realize oppressed her all her life?
2. Pertaining to "In the Kitchen," what is Gates reflecting on?
3. What does Ofri originally think is the problem with her patient in "Merced?
4. Pertaining to "Book Marks" what parallel is McClanahan making to her own life story?
5. What was McPhee fascinated by as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Halberstam see America responding to war in the essay "Who We Are"?
2. Explain Hearne's reasons for the differences of human rights to those of a dog in the essay "What's Wrong With Animal Rights"?
3. Why did Till's mother want his coffin to remain open in the essay "Exquisite Corpse"?
4. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
5. What reasoning does Oliver Wendell Holmes give for not shouting fire in a crowded theater in the essay "Shouting Fire!"?
6. What does Dickerson say about Johnny's assailant in "Who Shot Johnny?"
7. How is the style of historical references to time related to the closeness of Accawi's village?
8. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
9. What does Hoagland say is the one thing that can prevent suicide?
10. Why is the Quechan horse still intact, unlike the other archaeological monuments in "The Stone Horse" by Barry Lopez?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Williams' reasons to denounce modern day hunting practices in "The Killing Game." How is her argument beneficial or not beneficial to humans?
Essay Topic 2
How do the motivations of Ofri and Tan differ from each other in "Merced" and "Mother Tongue." How are the two alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
In the essay, "They All Just Went Away" how is an abandoned house like a decaying corpse?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)