Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frazier NOT mention creeping its way into idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
2. What does Grealy look down on?
3. What does Ofri think about her diagnosis in "Merced"?
4. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" repeatedly refuse?
5. If lack of love is the reason for suicide, what does Hoagland suggest to those who know love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Convoy finally accept at the end of his essay "Think About It"?
2. Describe Oates thoughts on the difference of a house and a home in the essay, "They All Just Went Away,."
3. What fascinates Ehrlich in the essay "Spring"?
4. What does Fadiman say about email in the essay "Mail"?
5. What event happened that made Americans want to return to that slumber of isolation in "Who We Are"?
6. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
7. What does Sanders think about tools verses machines in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
8. In "The Turning Point," describe Petit's desire to make tight roping an art form.
9. Do you think Ofri realizes she cannot have control over life or death in the essay "Merced"?
10. Describe the tone of Hodgman's essay "No Wonder They Call Me a Bitch,"
Essay Topic 1
What do you think Philip Petit from "Turning Point" would say to David Rahm from "The Stunt Pilot"? Consider the risks and artistry in each of their professions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Williams' reasons to denounce modern day hunting practices in "The Killing Game." How is her argument beneficial or not beneficial to humans?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the purpose of the female and male bodies according to "The Disposable Rocket." Do you agree with Updike's opinion of the two genders?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)