|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pertaining to "Silent Dancing" from what place does Cofer and her family immigrate?
2. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
3. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
4. How did Accawi's village become part of the global community?
5. What does McPhee compare his gift to in "Silk Parachute."
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the benefits of the penny post in the essay "Mail."
2. What does Frazier say about adults and their inability to be idle in his essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
3. Do you find truth with McClanahan's essay of the woman writing in the margin and their mutual emotions?
4. Describe Dillard's perception of Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot".
5. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
6. What happened to Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot"?
7. Why do you think McClanahan was so willing to ignore her husband's infidelities from the essay "Book Marks"? What acts of hers show it?
8. What importance does Gates see in one's hairstyle, particularly with blacks in "In the Kitchen"?
9. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
10. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between a top-tier university and what Queenan calls a "middling" university and why people prefer a top-tier school.
Essay Topic 2
"On Seeing England for the First Time" by Jamaica Kincaid discusses her relation of her nation's identity to England. Do you think your response to that superior country would be the same as Kincaid's or different? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Think about "Hair" by Marcia Aldrich. Do you agree or disagree that "hair, is like life--there is no need to be bound by the past because it can always be changed".
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)