|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
2. What seemed to divide most households in Cofer's neighborhood?
3. In "Turning Point," what is the interviewee's primary purpose for performing?
4. What type of love does Hoagland say is enough to make a man happy in "Heaven and Nature"?
5. What does Ofri think about her diagnosis in "Merced"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
2. What does Accawi think about his village becoming a global community in "The Telephone"?
3. Why do people discriminate against Tan's mother in "Mother Tongue"?
4. What fascinates Ehrlich in the essay "Spring"?
5. Explain McPhee's connection to the parachute from the "Silk Parachute."
6. How does Tan learn English in "Mother Tongue"?
7. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
8. Why do you think McClanahan was so willing to ignore her husband's infidelities from the essay "Book Marks"? What acts of hers show it?
9. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
10. Describe the benefits of the penny post in the essay "Mail."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the perception of female bodies to male bodies in "Heaven and Nature," by Edward Hoagland.
Essay Topic 2
"Exquisite Corpse," by Ashraf Rushdy discusses the photography of African Americans that had been lynched. If James Byrd's lynching had been photographed, how would the country's reaction have compared to the lynching of Emmett Till in 1955?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tangible and intangible role of human existence in the essay "Spring" by Gretel Ehrlich. What and who does Ehrlich mention as she reflects the significance of humans?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)