|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pertaining to "Spring," what is Ehrlich recovering from?
2. Who of Cofer's family members had problems assimilating into their new neighborhood?
3. Why would people not take Tan's mother seriously in "Mother Tongue"?
4. Why does Grealy end her boycott?
5. From "The Blue Machinery," where does Komunyakaa work during a summer job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Maria's analogy of Komunyakaa from "The Blue Machinery"?
2. Do you agree with Rhonda's view on hair from the essay "Hair"?
3. What does Ofri seem to be most concerned with in the essay "Merced"?
4. What does Fadiman say about email in the essay "Mail"?
5. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
6. What does Accawi think about his village becoming a global community in "The Telephone"?
7. What does Frazier say about adults and their inability to be idle in his essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
8. Do you think Ofri realizes she cannot have control over life or death in the essay "Merced"?
9. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
10. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the essay, "They All Just Went Away" how is an abandoned house like a decaying corpse?
Essay Topic 2
In the essays, "In Distrust of Movement" and "Think About It," what common concern are the authors pointing out? Support your argument with examples from the texts.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the purpose of the female and male bodies according to "The Disposable Rocket." Do you agree with Updike's opinion of the two genders?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)