|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers?
2. What does Maria compare Komunyakaa to?
3. What does the interviewee in "Turning Point" repeatedly refuse?
4. What does Ofri think about her diagnosis in "Merced"?
5. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
2. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
3. In "Mirrorings," why does Grealy realize she has had anxiety over her disfigurement?
4. What does Ofri seem to be most concerned with in the essay "Merced"?
5. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
6. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
7. What does Hoagland say about those who commit suicide in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
8. Do you agree with Maria's analogy of Komunyakaa from "The Blue Machinery"?
9. In "The Turning Point," describe Petit's desire to make tight roping an art form.
10. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the motivations of Ofri and Tan differ from each other in "Merced" and "Mother Tongue." How are the two alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast what the author's struggles are in the essays, "Westbury Court" and "Mirrorings." Do you see more similarities or differences between the two essays?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the role that 'secrets' play in the essays, "The Blue Machinery of Summer" and "Book Marks."
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)