|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Accawi feel about his village becoming a global community?
2. What does Frazier think of recreation for adults in his essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
3. What does Ofri think about her diagnosis in "Merced"?
4. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
5. Why is Cofer reflecting on the memories of moving to New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you find truth with McClanahan's essay of the woman writing in the margin and their mutual emotions?
2. What happened to Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot"?
3. In "The Turning Point," describe Petit's desire to make tight roping an art form.
4. Do you agree with Maria's analogy of Komunyakaa from "The Blue Machinery"?
5. Why was McPhee thinking of his mother in the "Silk Parachute"?
6. Describe Cofer's father from "Silent Dancing."
7. Why does Sanders place such importance on tools in the essay, "The Inheritance of Tools"?
8. What does Ehrlich think about Joel in the essay "Spring"?
9. Describe what Frazier did with his friends as a child in the essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose."
10. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the role of the parent in "Silk Parachute" and "The Inheritance of Tools" are similar and different. Does one essay place more importance on the parent?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the purpose of the female and male bodies according to "The Disposable Rocket." Do you agree with Updike's opinion of the two genders?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the role that 'secrets' play in the essays, "The Blue Machinery of Summer" and "Book Marks."
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)