|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was McPhee fascinated by as a child?
2. What does Maria compare Komunyakaa to?
3. What type of love does Hoagland say is enough to make a man happy in "Heaven and Nature"?
4. What does the interviewee in "Turning point" want people to remember about the Twin Towers?
5. What question is Danticat asking at the end of the essay, "Westbury Court"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
2. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
3. Do you agree with Rhonda's view on hair from the essay "Hair"?
4. What fascinates Ehrlich in the essay "Spring"?
5. Do you find truth with McClanahan's essay of the woman writing in the margin and their mutual emotions?
6. Describe what Frazier did with his friends as a child in the essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose."
7. How is the style of historical references to time related to the closeness of Accawi's village?
8. What happened to Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot"?
9. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
10. In "The Turning Point," describe Petit's desire to make tight roping an art form.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the role of the parent in "Silk Parachute" and "The Inheritance of Tools" are similar and different. Does one essay place more importance on the parent?
Essay Topic 2
In the essays, "In Distrust of Movement" and "Think About It," what common concern are the authors pointing out? Support your argument with examples from the texts.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the perception of female bodies to male bodies in "Heaven and Nature," by Edward Hoagland.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)