|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new thing happened to Frazier and his friends as they grew up in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
2. What does Maria compare Komunyakaa to?
3. At what two locations does the interviewee in "Turning Point" perform?
4. What was the hope of incorporating the new postage system called "penny post" in "Mail"?
5. Where is the doctor from who has success on helping Grealy's disfigurement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the benefits of the penny post in the essay "Mail."
2. In "Westbury Court" why did the mother of the children not realize their was a fire?
3. Why was McPhee thinking of his mother in the "Silk Parachute"?
4. Describe what Frazier did with his friends as a child in the essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose."
5. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
6. What does Hoagland say about those who commit suicide in the essay "Heaven and Nature"?
7. What does Accawi think about his village becoming a global community in "The Telephone"?
8. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
9. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
10. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the motivations of Ofri and Tan differ from each other in "Merced" and "Mother Tongue." How are the two alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
In the essays, "In Distrust of Movement" and "Think About It," what common concern are the authors pointing out? Support your argument with examples from the texts.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay, "They All Just Went Away" how is an abandoned house like a decaying corpse?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)