|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ehrlich see violently shaking and jiggling beneath its surface in "Spring"?
2. What does Frazier think of recreation for adults in his essay "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
3. What is Fadiman reflecting on in "Mail"?
4. Pertaining to "Silent Dancing" from what place does Cofer and her family immigrate?
5. How did Accawi's village become part of the global community?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frazier say about adults and their inability to be idle in his essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
2. Why do you think McClanahan was so willing to ignore her husband's infidelities from the essay "Book Marks"? What acts of hers show it?
3. Why do people discriminate against Tan's mother in "Mother Tongue"?
4. In "The Blue Machinery," why does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers that he is going to graduate school in the fall?
5. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
6. Explain McPhee's connection to the parachute from the "Silk Parachute."
7. What does Sanders think about tools verses machines in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
8. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
9. What does Gates recall about Nat King Cole in "In the Kitchen"?
10. What fascinates Ehrlich in the essay "Spring"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about "Hair" by Marcia Aldrich. Do you agree or disagree that "hair, is like life--there is no need to be bound by the past because it can always be changed".
Essay Topic 2
List and describe the religious elements in Barry Lopez's "The Stone Horse."
Essay Topic 3
In the essay, "They All Just Went Away" how is an abandoned house like a decaying corpse?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)