|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pertaining to "The Telephone" where did Anwar Accawi grow up?
2. What feeling does Frazier seem to take about society's lack of idleness in "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose"?
3. Who does Adlrich recall being obsessed with their hair?
4. Pertaining to the "The Inheritance of Tools," who is Sanders thinking of?
5. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Maria's analogy of Komunyakaa from "The Blue Machinery"?
2. Explain McPhee's connection to the parachute from the "Silk Parachute."
3. What does Hoagland say is the one thing that can prevent suicide?
4. What does Ofri seem to be most concerned with in the essay "Merced"?
5. Do you agree with Rhonda's view on hair from the essay "Hair"?
6. Why do you think McClanahan was so willing to ignore her husband's infidelities from the essay "Book Marks"? What acts of hers show it?
7. Describe what Frazier did with his friends as a child in the essay, "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose."
8. Describe the benefits of the penny post in the essay "Mail."
9. What seems to be Danticat's conflict in the essay "Westbury Court"?
10. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the essays, "In Distrust of Movement" and "Think About It," what common concern are the authors pointing out? Support your argument with examples from the texts.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the perception of female bodies to male bodies in "Heaven and Nature," by Edward Hoagland.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the antagonist of "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose" by Ian Frazier.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)