|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria compare Komunyakaa to?
2. Why does Cofer's family move to New York City?
3. What is the ultimate solution to the type of death discussed in "Heaven and Nature"?
4. Where does Gates go when he leaves America?
5. What nationality is Tan in the essay "Mother Tongue"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hoagland say is the one thing that can prevent suicide?
2. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
3. What does Fadiman say about email in the essay "Mail"?
4. What happened to Rahm in "The Stunt Pilot"?
5. Why was McPhee thinking of his mother in the "Silk Parachute"?
6. Do you think Ofri realizes she cannot have control over life or death in the essay "Merced"?
7. If you were Cofer, would you want to have the comfort of having a small neighborhood full of people from your native country?
8. In "The Blue Machinery," why does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers that he is going to graduate school in the fall?
9. What does Accawi think about his village becoming a global community in "The Telephone"?
10. Do you agree with Maria's analogy of Komunyakaa from "The Blue Machinery"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List and describe the religious elements in Barry Lopez's "The Stone Horse."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the purpose of the female and male bodies according to "The Disposable Rocket." Do you agree with Updike's opinion of the two genders?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the common reason that Wills mentions in "The Dramaturgy of Death" that people commit suicide.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)