|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Aldrich not mention about her mother's concerns for her hair?
2. If lack of love is the reason for suicide, what does Hoagland suggest to those who know love?
3. What did Sanders inherit in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
4. What are the benefits of Accawi's village becoming a global community?
5. What was one of the problems Fadiman mentions about 19th century postage in "Mail"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What importance does Gates see in one's hairstyle, particularly with blacks in "In the Kitchen"?
2. Describe Aldrich's mother from the essay "Hair."
3. In "The Blue Machinery," why does Komunyakaa not tell his co-workers that he is going to graduate school in the fall?
4. How does Tan learn English in "Mother Tongue"?
5. How does Grealy respond to pain in the essay "Mirrorings"?
6. What does Sanders think about tools verses machines in "The Inheritance of Tools"?
7. What does Ofri seem to be most concerned with in the essay "Merced"?
8. What does Petit say about the Twin Towers in "The Turning Point"?
9. In "Westbury Court" why did the mother of the children not realize their was a fire?
10. Do you agree with Rhonda's view on hair from the essay "Hair"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the motivations of Ofri and Tan differ from each other in "Merced" and "Mother Tongue." How are the two alike? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the antagonist of "A Lovely Sort of Lower Purpose" by Ian Frazier.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tangible and intangible role of human existence in the essay "Spring" by Gretel Ehrlich. What and who does Ehrlich mention as she reflects the significance of humans?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)